lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,696
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,851
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Subtracting the Fiber from the Carb count?

morrisolder wrote:

lizzylou wrote:

I believe the ADA says to count the fiber grams if under 5 grams and only half the grams if over 5 grams

Actually they say to NOT count if it's under 5 and then half if over 5.

Actually Rick had it right--the ADA says not to deduct fiber from net carbs (in other words to count those grams as part of your carbs) when the fiber is less than 5 grams, and if it is more than 5 then you do deduct it (not count it as part of net carbs)....

Akin to a double negative there...

So now you know why I don't bother at all, I'm lousy at math!:smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy (who also doesn't know her left from right without thinking about it)

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lizzylou

Here you go Rick:

http://lizzysdlounge.com/2012/04/16/counting-fiber-the-official-rules/

I double-checked to make sure my directionally-challenged self got it going in the right direction. :smileyvery-happy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

morrisolder wrote:

maplesyrup wrote:

In Europe I understand that the fiber amount is always subtracted from the total carbs for any food. In the USA and Canada they seem to do it either way, particularly on baked goods.

Perhaps clearer to say that European food producers do not include the fiber in the total carb count--which means that Europeans don't subtract fiber from total czrbs to get net carbs--as the two carb totals are actualy the same....

Yes, thanks for the correction/clarification Morris.

Still rather confusing isn't it?  I'm like Lizzy- why bother?

I do wonder how type ones on insulin handle the fiber count.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,322
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

I've just gotten used to deducting the fiber and sugar alcohols.  I don't know why or how it started.  The only thing that really matters to me is that I stay consistent and don't deduct one time and add another time, that would really mess with my BG numbers and my head.  hehehe

Super Advisor
Pam01
Total Posts: 2,080
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

I do wonder how type ones on insulin handle the fiber count.

Dianne

We have the same debates as you all :smileyhappy:

Truthfully, I don't eat all that many foods that have over 5 grams fiber per serving. I usually prefer lower carb options - like breads and cereals. I am also an educated - guestimator when it comes to carb counting, so I usually prefer to err on the side of including fiber in the carb count.

I also don't do anything with sugar alcohols...but then, that might account for all the times my carb counting is off!! 

Pam

Diagnosed Type 1 at age 16 months, over 45 years now
Minimed pump and cgm since July '09. Metformin (insulin resistance), levothyroxine(thyroid), losartan (BP)

I have traveled cross country, and to Canada, UK, Kenya, Mexico, Jamaica, Equador/Galapagos islands, and lived in Egypt for a year.
Responder
Perceiver
Total Posts: 37
Registered on: ‎08-29-2010

I always count the fiber and subtract it. I get too confused on whether I should or shouldn't but it somehow seems to work for me.

Type 2(8.0) 2007; 6.3 A1C (09/2013) Metformin 1000mg/day. Also suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD), Costochondritis, Thrombocytopenia, Polycythemia, Hyperlipidemia, Splenomegaly (Enlarged Spleen), and Hypothyroidism.
Responder
12XGrandma
Total Posts: 37
Registered on: ‎04-12-2012

The ADA has the 5 gram or under rule. My CDE says subtract half the fiber because most people don't know how much of either type of fiber is in the food and the packaging just lists fiber and doesn't differentiate between soluble and insoluble. I think it also depends on the individual. I deduct all the fiber because that is what works for me. I have also run into people who deduct for protein, sugar alcohol etc. It gets very complicated.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

12XGrandma wrote:

The ADA has the 5 gram or under rule. My CDE says subtract half the fiber because most people don't know how much of either type of fiber is in the food and the packaging just lists fiber and doesn't differentiate between soluble and insoluble. I think it also depends on the individual. I deduct all the fiber because that is what works for me. I have also run into people who deduct for protein, sugar alcohol etc. It gets very complicated.

12xGrandma, that does seem a good reason for subtracting half the fiber.

With sugar alcohols we were told to deduct ½ those grams of fibre too because they would be partly digested in the lower portion of the digestive system. Thus, we were warned they could cause gas and/or diarrhea. How's that for a double whammy for the newly diagnosed who are just adjusting to metformin?

Never heard of deducting for protein. Was any reason given for that?

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Long Lost Member
atevert
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-16-2012

I work as a registered dietitian and diabetes educator and saw this post and conversation thread this evening.  Yes -  as many previous posts stated, you can subtract half the grams of fiber from the Total Carbohydrate listed on the nutrition fact panel - if the fiber exceeds 5 grams.  This advice comes from the 2002 update of the Exchange List for Meal Planning booklet - now known as Choose Your Foods booklet co-published by the American Diabetes Association and American Dietetic Association. 

It was changed because of guidelines from the Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, etc. 2002 which indicate that in deriving energy value for food labeling, fiber and sugar alcohols are calculated as having about half the energy (2 kcal/g) of other carbohydrates (4 kcal/g). To be consistent the recommendation for fiber and sugar alcohols was changed to be the same. Adjustment is only practical if the amount of either per serving is greater than 5 grams. 

However - in real life, it just makes things more complicated than they need to be, unless you might be counting carbs and dosing mealtime insulin. Bottomline, most of us should be eating more fiber (unless we have a condition that warrents a low fiber diet).

lizzylou

atevert wrote:

I work as a registered dietitian and diabetes educator and saw this post and conversation thread this evening.  Yes -  as many previous posts stated, you can subtract half the grams of fiber from the Total Carbohydrate listed on the nutrition fact panel - if the fiber exceeds 5 grams.  This advice comes from the 2002 update of the Exchange List for Meal Planning booklet - now known as Choose Your Foods booklet co-published by the American Diabetes Association and American Dietetic Association. 

It was changed because of guidelines from the Institute of Medicine Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, etc. 2002 which indicate that in deriving energy value for food labeling, fiber and sugar alcohols are calculated as having about half the energy (2 kcal/g) of other carbohydrates (4 kcal/g). To be consistent the recommendation for fiber and sugar alcohols was changed to be the same. Adjustment is only practical if the amount of either per serving is greater than 5 grams. 

However - in real life, it just makes things more complicated than they need to be, unless you might be counting carbs and dosing mealtime insulin. Bottomline, most of us should be eating more fiber (unless we have a condition that warrents a low fiber diet).

Well we've now also heard from some type-1's who don't bother to subtract either.  One woman said her daughter's doctor said not to subtract any.  So I look upon it as a personal choice.

I also did some research before doing my blog entry about it, and most place on the net say to subtract all of the fiber. 

It's really not as though we're talking about a major amount of difference here, maybe one or two grams.  Not worth bothering as far as I'm concerned.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more