Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Strange behavior

I think Deb's comment puts this in a nutshell. "Your co-worker may realize that you are accomplishing what he isn't and it may provoke feelings of guilt on his part. The ridicule may be his way of dealing with those feelings."

In sifting through all of your comments, I do think he may simply be jealous of my attempts. He does appear to be on the jealous side. And yes, he is also a jerk about a lot of other things as well. I am in no way going to change any of my methods of control to make him happy. I may have been naive in expecting all diabetics to share my enthusiasm for controlling this thing. 99% of my co-workers don't seem to have any problems w/my D and do seem to care. I guess that's not bad odds. Management has no problems cutting me a little slack either so all in all work isn't bad at all. His reaction really caught me off guard though.

Thanks,
Tom
Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Super Advisor
yellocanoe

Strange behavior

Hi Matt,

"As a side note, I've been out of the normal work place myself for a while. I used to be a network admin, but a few years back I got into gunsmithing. I've found that as a gunsmith, people tend to be much more polite when dealing with me. I have no idea why... (snicker). Hehehe"

I work a firearms counter!

Tom
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Long Lost Member
deaconaegis
Total Posts: 56
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Strange behavior

yellocanoe (11/23/2009)
Hi Matt,

"As a side note, I've been out of the normal work place myself for a while. I used to be a network admin, but a few years back I got into gunsmithing. I've found that as a gunsmith, people tend to be much more polite when dealing with me. I have no idea why... (snicker). Hehehe"

I work a firearms counter!

Tom

Ahhhh! A brother in Arms! Hehe, very, very cool!
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Strange behavior

yellocanoe (11/22/2009)
I work in retail with 2 other diabetics. One has T1 and is on insulin, the other I work closely with is a veteran T2. Long term T1 has been pretty supportive, somewhat of a surprise since we didn't always hit it off together. T2 of all people has been a downright jerk. I'm a newby and he was where I looked for some comraderie but all I get from him is ridicule about how I choose to get this under control. He tells me that I do not need to test, pokes fun when I need to get some food in me and try to go to break, snickers and grins when he hears me talking to others about how things are going with me, and tells me not to be so concerned about the disease. He finds my pre measured snacks amusing and makes me look silly in front of others.

I have pretty much stopped all casual conversation with him as a result of his behavior. He isn't helping me deal with this one bit! I have picked up on the fact that he isn't in control of his illness in spite of having D for a number of years. What do you all think about this? The only advice he has given me has been completely the opposite of what I have learned in class, in books, on this and other websites, and from my Dr and I let him know that. How the heck am I suposed to work with this guy every day?

Tom

How do you work with him? You do what you're doing right now, avoid him as much as the job will allow. It would be nice if everyone who shared our condition could manage support or even a minimum amount of compassion, but it sounds like he's not in a good place for that. A jerk is a jerk, even if they are diabetic. ;-)

My guess is that his control is poor or non-existent. You're "showing him up" and he may feel resentful. Whatever his reason, good or bad, he's not worth getting bothered about. Is he like this with customers, too?

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
southbeachgirl
Total Posts: 525
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Strange behavior

I would channel Dr. Phil and ask "How's that working for your blood sugar readings?" I bet that would shut him up.
Super Advisor
yellocanoe

Strange behavior

He does seem to be responding to my limited conversations. He knows something has changed and is trying to be nicer in general but we do not have any D discussions and we will not in the future. I haven't noticed him involving any customers or I would have had to really put him in his place. He did let on to me that he rarely tests and admitted that his numbers could "be better". I feel more at ease knowing that I shouldn't have to put up with his rude remarks any more. I just don't need any more crap in my life at the moment!

Tom
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Frequent Responder
SpeechLady85
Total Posts: 619
Registered on: ‎11-03-2009

Strange behavior

I'm glad to hear that the jerk seems to be laying off. Should he mention your health to others without your permission he is violating your rights to privacy (HIPPA). Also, if you need to pull out the big guns (pun intended) you are protected under the EEOC as a member of a special class (that class being a person with a disability) - as much as that label sucks, it's the letter of the law that counts should he continue or escalate. I agree with other posters that he probably doesn't have control over his lifestyle and resents the He** out of the fact that you are taking charge of your health. Who knows, he may come to you in the future for help - stranger things have happened - but regardless ----don't take any crap.

SpeechLady
Live (to the max), Love (and hopefully be loved), Laugh (at every opportunity),
Eat (healthily), Pray (if it suits you),
Love (yourself enough - to put your  health first).
Diagnosed 2001,  I am a work in progress = progressing to not let 'D' control me - with the help of my 'D' family here.