Long Lost Member
roccosiggillia
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎11-07-2010

Splenda vs Costco/Kirkland brand sweetener; Needle Use

Hi forum, I am type 2 and new to using insulin. Is there any difference between Splenda and Costco's Kirkland brand sweetener? I'd also like to know how many times I can use a syringe needle and also the NovaMax Lancing device needle. I'm trying to save money.

Thank you very much.
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

roccosiggillia (11/7/2010)
Hi forum, I am type 2 and new to using insulin. Is there any difference between Splenda and Costco's Kirkland brand sweetener? I'd also like to know how many times I can use a syringe needle and also the NovaMax Lancing device needle. I'm trying to save money.

Thank you very much.

Hi Welcome to the message board. I want to warn you that tomorrow there will be changes to the message board so be on the lookout for that.

As far as the splenda and costco's sweetener, I don't know, I don't have a costco near me. Someone else will be able to answer that. Here we have a walmart brand and a kroger brand of splenda called apriva and its just like splenda, cheaper tho.

It is not recomended to reuse insulin syringes or lancets. I do however reuse my needles and lancets. I use insulin as well and I try to use the same needle all day for my novolog, I use a seperate needle for my Lantus. DO NOT use the same needle to give both insulins, they should NOT be mixed. There is nothing nicer than a fresh needle, but due to cost... you have to do what you have to do. As far as lancets, I change mine every couple days, or when it hurts when I poke my fingers. Always change lancets if you poke someone else!!

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Trusted Contributor
MORRISOLDER
Total Posts: 10,499
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Splends is a brand name for sucralose--so if the Kirklland Sweetener is sucralose, it willb e the same thing--kind of like Bayer and aspirin or Motrin and ibuprofin...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

Morris Older (11/7/2010)
Splends is a brand name for sucralose--so if the Kirklland Sweetener is sucralose, it willb e the same thing--kind of like Bayer and aspirin or Motrin and ibuprofin...

I believe sucralose is still under patent protection and it is all produced by the Tate & Lyle. Thus the other brands of sucralose, although they are not called "Splenda" are in fact not only the same sucralose as in Spenda, but were made by the safe company and factories. This is as opposed to generics. There may be some differences in the fillers from brand to brand with sucralose.

And I change my lancets every daylight savings time, whether they need changing or not.

I regularly reuse pen needles, often for up to a half dozen uses. I would not reuse a syringe for fear that plunging the contaminated needle back in the vial might taint the insulin.
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

I have a bag of bulk sucralose sweetener labeled with the Flavorite brand, which is the house brand for my local Cub Foods stores.

The only ingredients are maltodextrin and sucralose. Those are exactly the same ingredients found in bulk Splenda. I sure can't detect any difference.

It sure looks like somebody is manufacturing sucralose and packaging it under various house brands. I have no idea if it is the original manufacturer, or if someone was able to break through or past the patents that kept it sewn up for just the Splenda brand.
Established Contributor
arrivedt2
Total Posts: 1,350
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Both same!

Needles use I don't know about (YET). But lancets I use about a week then change that needle.

Promise me you'll always remember:
"You're Braver than you believe, Stronger that you seem, and Smarter than you think !"

Christopher Robin to Pooh Bear

Lee, T2 since 07/1988
Live long and prosper.

"Don't waste any tomorrows because of what you didn't do yesterday !"

Long Lost Member
roccosiggillia

roccosiggillia (11/7/2010)

Thank you very much.
Long Lost Member
roccosiggillia

Hello to you nice folks who replied to my post about reusing needles and lancets and also Splenda vs Kirkland Costco brand sweeteners. I apologize in advance if I'm not replying correctly to the 5 folks who posted replies....I am new at forums generally and this iin particular. But my intent is to thank you all so very much for your invaluable help. It's so comforting to know I can get this information here. It seems there is so much to learn now that I'm injecting insulin.....it's a little scary but now that I know I can get help from you good people, it's less scary. I hope this post thanking you all goes to each one who replied or do I need to reply to each person separately? Thank you so very very much. Bless you all!

Rocco
Long Lost Member
roccosiggillia

Just in case my first reply doesn't go to each person who replied to my original post, I am sending below my response to each of you......I wanted to make sure I thanked everyone.....I think it's going to take a while for me to learn how to do things correctly on this forum! Thanks again! Rocco.

Hello to you nice folks who replied to my post about reusing needles and lancets and also Splenda vs Kirkland Costco brand sweeteners. I apologize in advance if I'm not replying correctly to the 5 folks who posted replies....I am new at forums generally and this iin particular. But my intent is to thank you all so very much for your invaluable help. It's so comforting to know I can get this information here. It seems there is so much to learn now that I'm injecting insulin.....it's a little scary but now that I know I can get help from you good people, it's less scary. I hope this post thanking you all goes to each one who replied or do I need to reply to each person separately? Thank you so very very much. Bless you all!

Rocc
Long Lost Member
roccosiggillia

Just in case my first reply doesn't go to each person who replied to my original post, I am sending below my response to each of you......I wanted to make sure I thanked everyone.....I think it's going to take a while for me to learn how to do things correctly on this forum! Thanks again! Rocco.

Rocc