Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 823
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Sorbitol and maltitol

A study determined a 50% laxative rate at .4 g/kg in males consuming sorbitol. The rate was .8 g/kg for males with maltitol. For a 180 male that means half of those eating 4.5 ounces of sorbitol got diarrhea. Half of those eating 9 ounces got diarrhea.
How come none of the 'sugar free' products I've ever seen with these ingredients have warning labels about this? Isn't this more characteristic of a toxin that a food? I've seen less significant symptoms on toadstools listed as toxic in mushroom guides...
Here's the study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V74-4888971-H6&_user=10&_coverDate=12%2F3...

Sorry to be crude but when people crapped themselves violently after eating Olestra warning labels appeared. With sorbitol and maltitol - nothing. What gives?

Super Advisor
yellocanoe
Total Posts: 3,140
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

I have seen warnings "May have laxative effect" or similar on some products containing these ingredients but generally don't consume/buy them.  They tend to mimic the effects of prunes on our system.  Prunes don't seem to have any surprise effects on me though.  I always did like prunes!

Tom
Diagnosed T2 October, 2009  A1c 6.8
Currently on Metformin ER 1000mg per day
Last A1c 09/21/2013  5.4
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 823
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Sorbitol and maltitol

That's a good warning. It'd be nice if they were universal. The first time I bought such products I bought them in large quantities and got in big trouble. They were in unmarked bins. Now I only buy them for the reason I used to buy prunes. Might as well take advantage of what they do when things get too sluggish. Raisins and wine are ok but I'll take prunes and plum wine anyday!
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,346
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

I didn't notice the warning on maltitol the first time I had something with that in it....and I was very, very uncomfortable for a few hours after.  It was a mistake I didn't make twice.  I've noticed that these ingredients don't have the same effect on everyone universally.  For instance, I can eat something with sorbitol in it without having that unfortunate side effect, but maltitol gets me every single time. 

Not a pleasant topic, but I think it's an important mention since so many of us use sugar substitutes or so-called 'sugar free' products. We can't choose what bakers or candy makers put into their products, but we can sure avoid the ones that are going to have unpleasant effects.

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. January 2014 A.1 5.6 metformin 500mg twice daily
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

Let's assume that sorbitol and maltitol are about as sweet as sugar.  Probably not identical but close.  That would mean that as a 180 lb male (would a female be different?)  I would have to eat a full pint of dense premium ice cream sweetened with sorbitol, of a full quart sweetened with maltitol to have a 50% chance of diarrhea? Or a lot more of the air-ier ice creams?  I suppose there were times in my life when I did that, but now I rarely have a half cup at a time.

Isn't eating that much sweets supposed to make you sick?

Actually while that may be the threshold for half the people, I would bet that a significant portion has much greater sensitivity to these, and reacts to a much smaller portion, which is why we hear about that so often...

We tend to assume that all sugar alcohols are created equal, but these two are 50% apart--and others are further apart than that... I tend to stay away from all of them...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,346
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

I think there must be something a little off on those measures....because I doubt seriously if there's a full ounce of maltitol in the York Peppermint Patties (miniatures) that I ate.  Three small candies was enough to send me into serious discomfort and have a laxative effect.  So, I'm thinking you really don't have to eat as much as all that.  Of course, I'm not 180 pounds and I'm female....but it only took a very, very small amount to have that effect. 

Takes much less maltitol than it does sugar to get the same sweetness, too....so why are we thinking in terms of more than an ounce of this stuff?

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. January 2014 A.1 5.6 metformin 500mg twice daily
Frequent Responder
SouthwestSands
Total Posts: 132
Registered on: ‎01-27-2011

Sorbitol and maltitol

I'm glad you brought this topic up. I stopped using all artificial sweeteners a long time ago. In my opinion, there is something wrong with all the artificial additives. I won't even eat cottage cheese with carbon dioxide in it now.

Anyway, sorbitol,  etc, did make me sick, and I gave them up. My poor grandmother used to have diarrhea all the time, and we couldn't figure out the cause until I realized she was scarfing down those cookies. It was horrendous.
Goals are Great!
TYPE 2 Since 2000
Frequent Responder
xanthra2
Total Posts: 418
Registered on: ‎12-01-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

Yes, saying maltitol "may have a laxitive effect" is like saying the Titanic took on a little ice.

And that was eating a small sugar free candy bar.

Xanthra
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Sorbitol and maltitol

sws wrote:
I won't even eat cottage cheese with carbon dioxide in it now.
Well, you go me on that one, so I looked at my cottage chese, and, sure enough, it lists carbon dioxide as the final ingredient, after Vitamin A, with the notation "to enhance flavor."

But given that we inhale and exhale CO2 all day long, what is there about eating it that puts you off?
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
SouthwestSands
Total Posts: 132
Registered on: ‎01-27-2011

Sorbitol and maltitol

Don't quote me on this, but I was told that artificially added CO2 is bad for the bones, like soda.
Goals are Great!
TYPE 2 Since 2000