Advisor
LindaLeona
Total Posts: 85
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

So tired all the time!

Hello Everyone,

Ever since I got my numbers in reasonable diabetic range (85-99 fasting, 100-130 pp) I have been extremely tired all the time. I am reasonably young (25) and all I ever want to do is sleep. It takes me forever to get out of bed in the morning and I usually end up passing out around 8pm (if not sooner!). I work a very sedentary job, but I usually work out after work for about an hour every day. My most recent A1C is 6.0 so I know I'm heading in the right direction for controlling my diabetes, but this low-carb diet is putting a damper on my social life!

Since Dx, I have also lost 60lbs. I have been chalking me being lethargic to the weight loss, but there has to be something I can do about this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

-Thank you for reading,

L i n d a L e o n a

"I can do hard things"

Diagnosed Type 2 December 23rd 2011
12/23/2011 A1C of 11.5 at diagnosis
03/20/2012 A1C of 6.5 :smileyhappy:
06/15/2012 A1C of 6.0 :smileyhappy:
10/19/2012 A1C of 5.5 :smileyhappy:

Janumet 2x daily diet&exercise
Advisor
LeadSinger
Total Posts: 529
Registered on: ‎12-07-2009

Re: So tired all the time!

Not being a doctor, I can only suggest a couple of things that I have seen in my sigot.   Thyroid trouble, anemia and/or vitamin deficiencies.  Have you tested your BG after meals when you are feeling particularly tired?  Since you seem to have gotten your numbers pretty much under control, a high could possibly set your sleepy feelings off.  Over-exercising maybe?  You say low-carb diet.  How low?  Any compensation with extra protein?

I'm just kinda throwing stuff up on the wall to see if anything sticks there.

Diagnosed T2 on 3/1/2007 with A1c of 13.0
Member of the 5% club for past 3 years
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Your BG numbers look great, but I have to agree - do you test when you feel so tired?  Eating low-carb won't make you feel so lethargic, but highs, lows, eating too many carbs will, amongst other things such as LeadSinger has suggested.

Do you get a copy of your labs to see your vitamin levels (if tested for)?

It may have nothing to do with your T2.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Advisor
booklover
Total Posts: 195
Registered on: ‎06-03-2012

All I can tell you with me was a thyroid problem. I have hashimoto thyroid. Have the dr check your antibodies for the thyroid. My thyroid was in normal range but my antibodies were not. It is the most common thyroid disease. I was tired when I got up after sleep all night. It take everything I had to get though the day. 

Leeann
Type 2
April 2012 A1C 6.5
Feb 2013 A1C 6.0
Feb 2014 A1C 5.6
Metformin 1000 2x day
Hashimoto thyroid
Thyroxine 50 mcg
pravasatin 20mg
depression from thyroid
Venlafaxine er 150 mg
GERD
dexilant 60mg
PCOS

Super Advisor
debit202
Total Posts: 1,607
Registered on: ‎01-10-2010

I'm with the check thyroid group.  Seems alot of diabetics have thyroid issues- you may be one of them.  I would also enquire about tests for iron levels.  If you are not getting enough iron (think no beef, no spinach etc.) you may be deficient (anemic).  This can cause extreme fatigue.  I need to gt checked for that as well as recently I'm experiencing alot of fatigue.

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

dx 12/2009 a1c7.4  3/2011  aic 6.6 long way to goto 5% club next a1c oct. 2011

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

I've also noticed that when I'm on really low carb, I don't have as much energy as when I do have some.

Super Advisor
determined2
Total Posts: 842
Registered on: ‎02-04-2011

Lindaleona wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Ever since I got my numbers in reasonable diabetic range (85-99 fasting, 100-130 pp) I have been extremely tired all the time. I am reasonably young (25) and all I ever want to do is sleep. It takes me forever to get out of bed in the morning and I usually end up passing out around 8pm (if not sooner!). I work a very sedentary job, but I usually work out after work for about an hour every day. My most recent A1C is 6.0 so I know I'm heading in the right direction for controlling my diabetes, but this low-carb diet is putting a damper on my social life!

Since Dx, I have also lost 60lbs. I have been chalking me being lethargic to the weight loss, but there has to be something I can do about this. If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them.

-Thank you for reading,

Linda,

Great work on the weight loss and getting your numbers down!  

Regarding the fatigue, have you discussed this with your  PCP?   Fatigue could be the result of many things.  I would continue to check your glucose and at the same time, have a complete checkup as well.  Hopefully it’s something that can be overcome with diet.  But in the meantime, if it were me, getting checked out would bring me peace of mind. 

By the way, 25 is not reasonably young.   YOU ARE YOUNG!    :smileysurprised:

d2

Determined2 ...

A1c at diagnosis: 1/15/11 = 6.3 ... Most Recent: 6/04/13 = 5.6
Diet & Exercise, Metformin ER-500m & Lovastatin 10m.
+ Encouragement & Tips from Members of the Board!

Advisor
LindaLeona
Total Posts: 85
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

Thank you everyone for your input. I have an appointment with my PCP this week, so I will bring it up then. I just wanted to make sure this isn't diabetic "normal."

Who knows, maybe she can prescribe me 1 cup starbucks coffee three times a day (hold the sugar)!

If only my insurance company would pay for it! ::smileyvery-happy:

L i n d a L e o n a

"I can do hard things"

Diagnosed Type 2 December 23rd 2011
12/23/2011 A1C of 11.5 at diagnosis
03/20/2012 A1C of 6.5 :smileyhappy:
06/15/2012 A1C of 6.0 :smileyhappy:
10/19/2012 A1C of 5.5 :smileyhappy:

Janumet 2x daily diet&exercise
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,707
Topics: 205
High Fives: 1,470
Solutions: 165
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Lindaleona wrote:

Thank you everyone for your input. I have an appointment with my PCP this week, so I will bring it up then. I just wanted to make sure this isn't diabetic "normal."

Who knows, maybe she can prescribe me 1 cup starbucks coffee three times a day (hold the sugar)!

If only my insurance company would pay for it! ::smileyvery-happy:

Have the coffee anyway. Coffee, in moderation, is good for you. Just don't fill the mug up with milk.

Be sure to discuss your fatigue in detail with the doctor. it may not have anything to do with your diabetes.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)