Long Lost Member
cowgirlnc51@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎12-02-2010

So thirsty at night and having night sweats

I was diagnosed three weeks ago with type 2. I am taking metaforin. My normal fasting BG is 101-108 in the morning. I am and have been taking Ambian for over a year now. I have started waking up almost every hour after midnight (being asleep a couple of hours) and drinking water to beat the band. I also wake around 4 or 5 am covered in sweat from the waist up.
I dont take any other medications except the occasional breathing treatment for my COPD.
Oh, I do take Nicorette lozenges throughout the day for nonsmoking.

Thanks for any help,

Biba
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,410
Solutions: 158
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

G'day Biba and welcome.

I'm guessing a bit, but it sounds like you may be going high - or low - at night. But that is only a guess; the way to find out is to test your blood glucose levels each time you wake to see what is happening.

If your BG levels are OK then you need to discuss this with your doctor to investigate other causes. One possibility is Ambien; vivid or abnormal dreams are a possible side effect. Have you had dreams related to these episodes?

Allied to that, this may help you improve your day-time management of your diabetes and the resulting night-time BGs (click on it): Getting Started

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (What on Earth Can I Eat?)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Buenos Aires, Argentina )
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Frequent Responder
rbrugler
Total Posts: 457

Give your doctor a call and ask about the combination of metphormin, ambian  and nicorette.  I had night sweats and thirst as  symptoms of diabetes, and also had night sweats and problems sleeping with nicorette.   So, let your dr know and  get his/her take on what is going on.

Hang in there!!!!

Ron from Cleveland
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,453
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Biba,

Blood glucose levels over 180 would cause excessive thirst, and blood sugar levels below about 65 would cause heavy seating at night.  Both of these could be caused by diabetes or by something else.

The way to see if it is diabetes-related is to see what your blood sugar is at when you have these symptoms. If you have those numbers, then when your numbers get to a more constant range the symptoms will  disappear. If not, then look for another cause, perhaps one of the other medications or some other condition.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,691
Topics: 75
High Fives: 939
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,691
Topics: 75
High Fives: 939
Solutions: 110
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Dare we ask your age?  Could it possibly be hot flashes?

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Long Lost Member
cowgirlnc51@yahoo.com
Total Posts: 2

Hi
I am 59 and have already been through menopause.