Regular Visitor
Mrbill369
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-18-2012

Rye Bread

Do any of you eat rye bread?  I bought some thinking it would be less carbs, but the first ingredient is  wheat flower.

What's up with that?

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Rye Bread

Mrbill369 wrote:

Do any of you eat rye bread?  I bought some thinking it would be less carbs, but the first ingredient is  wheat flower.

What's up with that?

" wheat flower"        Yes, flowers are pretty but full of carbs....................sorry, couldn't resist!!!   I have tried a few rye breads, especially on my last pastrami open faced sandwich......can't remember the brand but it was Jewish Rye and 36 gr carbs for two slices ( that's why I only  had one slice).

You have to read labels and search for the low carb brands, they are out there.  

See ya...................................Big Red......................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

You can buy very dense, usually square loaves that are made entirely out of rye flour.  They are dense because rye flour does not rise and incorporate air the way that wheat does.

The result is that most rye bread is something like 80-90% wheat flour with rye added. In the same way, seven or nine grain bread is 80-90% wheat flour, with the other grains added.

Rye bread does tend to have a lower glycemic index than straight wheat bread, which  means that it may not cause blood sugar to rise as quickly or as much. But the grams of carbs in each slice, which usually have a lot to do with how much air is in the bread and how big each slice is, is a more important factor.

Sourdough and sprouted breads are two other breads that tend to be a bit lower on the glycemic scale...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,395
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,371
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Mrbill369 wrote:

What's up with that?

G'day and welcome

I like rye and eat it occasionally. It has slightly less effect on my blood glucose levels for the same portion weight as multigrain.

I suggest you do the same thng I do - test to find out what it does to you. Read this to see what I mean: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)