Advisor
texlib
Total Posts: 122
Registered on: ‎11-29-2012

Ribbon Cane Syrup

Well as everyone says on this site, you learn something everyday.  I was lazy and had two pieces of toast with peanut butter (1 Tbs) and 2 Tbs of Ribbon Cane Syrup and some sage sausage for lunch.  I had  carbs left over from breakfast and the syrup was 30 per tablespoon.  So I used my 12 units of Humalog and enjoyed the meal.  Well three hours later I woke up from what I knew was a high  number and it was still 310.  I can have 40 g of carbs and it will not cause a hugh rise but 60 of the syrup sent he into a real high.  So it joins a growing group of carbs that cause a higher rise than some of the other carbs.  But testing does let me know which carbs I can eat and which ones are just not for me.  At least I learned something new today and now I have a large can of very good Ribbon Cane which will end up in the trash.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Ribbon Cane Syrup

texlib wrote:

Well as everyone says on this site, you learn something everyday.  I was lazy and had two pieces of toast with peanut butter (1 Tbs) and 2 Tbs of Ribbon Cane Syrup and some sage sausage for lunch.  I had  carbs left over from breakfast and the syrup was 30 per tablespoon.  So I used my 12 units of Humalog and enjoyed the meal.  Well three hours later I woke up from what I knew was a high  number and it was still 310.  I can have 40 g of carbs and it will not cause a hugh rise but 60 of the syrup sent he into a real high.  So it joins a growing group of carbs that cause a higher rise than some of the other carbs.  But testing does let me know which carbs I can eat and which ones are just not for me.  At least I learned something new today and now I have a large can of very good Ribbon Cane which will end up in the trash.

Texlib, I think you probably had a huge carb overload there.

Not only did you have 60 grams in the syrup but your toast could have had about 15-25 grams per slice, could have added as much as 50 grams carbs.

The peanut butter is not carb free and my bet is that your sausage was not either.

I am not fully aware of how insulin works for you but I do know that for those of us who do not use it, we cannot save carbs unused in the morning for another meal.

Do you know what your pre-meal blood glucose was?  For all of us, but particularly for insulin users, that is very important.

I'm glad you are using your meter to learn about what your food choices should be.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Advisor
texlib
Total Posts: 122
Registered on: ‎11-29-2012

Yes it was a carb overload.  I was at 112 before the meal.  It was strange but by 4.5 hours it had dropped to 95.  I do not save carbs but do allow myself a few more if I have a low carb meal.  I try to keep it about 100 or less a day.  You can try to out think the big D but it always wins in the end.

Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 513
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

I would feel a bit guilty throwing food away if it was still good.  Join a freecycle group on the internet.  Just google freecycle and you can find the group in your area.  You cannot charge for anything you offer on there, but someone would surely appreciate that syrup.  You might also find an item that you can use on there.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,839
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

texlib wrote:

It doesn't work that way you can't "save" them and eat all at once.  It's carbs per meal that affect the numbers, not carbs per day.

I'd for sure throw it away, why inflect it on anyone else.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,232
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

When I first started doing this a few months ago, I thought carbs and blood glucose would be linear - if 10 grams of carbs raised my blood glucose 15 points, then 20 grams would raise it 30 points.  It didn't work that way!  Twice as many carbs would raise my blood glucose 4 or 5 times as much.  In thinking about it, I think I have some insulin that has some effect, but I see all that effect in the smaller amount of carbs, so I don't see the full effect of those carbs.  But extra carbs - those over the amount that my poor, weak insulin can handle - boy, do I see the effect of those.

For syrup, I use Walden Farms.  Zero carbs.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187