Frequent Responder
cathykitta
Total Posts: 62
Registered on: ‎08-31-2011

Re: Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance

Price Chopper gives out free Metformin with a new perscription in qty of 100 for each fill. I hope you can find some other free recources also. Good luck.

Metformin, 500 2x a day

Pray and obey...very hard to do sometimes...but well worth it!
God Bless, Cathy
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,847
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

cathykitta wrote:

Price Chopper gives out free Metformin with a new prescription in qty of 100 for each fill. I hope you can find some other free recources also. Good luck.

Quite a few places in this area are giving free diabetic medication, and not just the first prescription.  Harris Tweeter is one of them, and there are several others.  Some places that used to have the generic ones for $4.00 are now giving them for free.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Frequent Responder
cathykitta
Total Posts: 62
Registered on: ‎08-31-2011

Lizzy,

They fill them for free, it is just that you need a new perscriptin, they can't fill them with like a refill. Not just the first one, I'm so glad there are resources out there for people who need help! Everything is so expensive these days! Thanks.

Metformin, 500 2x a day

Pray and obey...very hard to do sometimes...but well worth it!
God Bless, Cathy
Frequent Responder
KathyFL
Total Posts: 118
Registered on: ‎04-07-2011

I get Metformin(not the ER) and Lisinprol for free every month at Publix Supermarkets.  Was very happy to find this out!

Hugs Kathy
Dx 4/7/2011Type 2
A1C
11.6 4/7/2011
6.6 6/22/2011
6.2 07/18/2011
6.3 09/15/2011
Meds:
Metformin 1,000 MG 2 X day
Levemir 20 units @ bedtime
lizzylou

KathyFL wrote:

I get Metformin(not the ER) and Lisinprol for free every month at Publix Supermarkets.  Was very happy to find this out!

Yes, it seems as though a lot of places are starting this feature.  Every little bit helps when it comes to costs these days.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
littlewendy
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎10-11-2011

This should come in handy to alot of you!  I found this site while I was looking to see if Florida had any Diabetic Path Program.  Because I am going to Clearwater this week.  I found free diabetic classes online!  Goto: www.diabeticuniversity.com  Sign up first online class is Dec.6 at 5:00PM.  I hope this helps alot of you newbe with your type 2 and 1.

Thank you,

Wendy S. T.

lizzylou

littlewendy wrote:

This should come in handy to alot of you!  I found this site while I was looking to see if Florida had any Diabetic Path Program.  Because I am going to Clearwater this week.  I found free diabetic classes online!  Goto: www.diabeticuniversity.com  Sign up first online class is Dec.6 at 5:00PM.  I hope this helps alot of you newbe with your type 2 and 1.

Thank you,

Wendy S. T.

This web site is apparently owned and operated by the non-profit agency Diabetes Research and Education Foundation.  This is an agency right in my back yard that I'd never heard of.

It's apparently legit, and is funded by government support and private donations, much like the ADA.

Let me know how you find the "classes" to be, I haven't really checked them out at this time but might at a later date and perhaps recommend it.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
littlewendy
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎10-11-2011

Thank you Lizzie!  I will let you know after the 6 of Dec.  I have been learning alot these past weeks.

Wendy S. T.

Advisor
Samtop
Total Posts: 417
Registered on: ‎10-26-2011

If I had the time, I would research this thread, and others, but I really don't, so I will ask.  Where can one get FreeStyle strips, reasonably cheap.  I am on Medicare, and DO NOT have part D.  My Doc. prescribed one strip- per day, and I get my supplies in three month increments from AmMed Direct, in other words 100 strips must last for 3 months.  When I talked to them about it, I was advised that if the doctor prescribed more they would send me same.  Talked to the Doc. and was then told that my numbers were too good, and that Medicare, would not honor it.  At Walgreens, a vial of 50 is $77.00.  I do have a plan at Walgreens, where I can get my prescriptions at reasonable prices, but I do not think strips are included.

Right now, due to penalities, Part D is not an option for me, and I really like the Freestyle Lite, and don't really want to change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Earle

Metformin ER 1000 With evening meal
Glimepiride 1 mg in the a.m.
Lisinopril 20mg a.m
Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg in the a.m.
Terazosin 1mg at bedtime

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I am guessing that you have explained to your doctor that the reason you have good control is because you test frequently...

How does Medicare cover strips without Part D?  Getting Part D ***might*** solve your problem--isn't there a time of year when you can enroll without penalty--even if it is next November? Part D might be cheaper than buying more than a few extra Freestyle strips...

Otherwise you may be stuck if you are not willing to try another brand. The store brands generally run $10-15 for the meter and then $40-50 per 100 strips,  They tend to be as consistent as the Freestyle,  although they may be consistently higher or lower than the meter you now use.  For the difference in price, that is what I would do. Just start out by seeing what the difference is, so that you can take that into account when interpreting it.

Now if your 100 strips are basically free, or cost less than that, I would recommend using them up at whatever pace you want and then using the cheaper ones for the rest of that 3 month period. That way you avoid going back and forth between meters, which, since they will read differently, would make it hard to separate out real changes from meter variations.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...