Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance

[ Edited ]

Click on the red titles in each category

Free or Sliding Scale Clinics - check out all sites because they have different sources.  You may find different ones on different sites.

Unite For Sight, Inc. - Free Clinics: Community Based Clinics

Just type your state in and receive a listing of the facilities in your area.  I tested this with my area and the information was correct and timely.

Free / Low-Cost Health Clinic Finder -.PPAP

This is a service of the Partnership Prescription Assistance Program.  You type in your zip code and a list of clinics in your area is given.

http://www.ihs.gov/index.cfm                and

http://www.ihs.gov/MedicalPrograms/Diabetes/index.cfm?module=toolsQuickGuides&nav=99

Medical and health Assistance for Native Americans and Alaskan Citizens.  The second link is a quick-guide for Diabetes care.

Hill-Burton Free and Reduced-Cost Health Care

In 1946, Congress passed a law that gave hospitals, nursing homes and other health facilities grants and loans for construction and modernization. In return, they agreed to provide a reasonable volume of services to persons unable to pay and to make their services available to all persons residing in the facility’s area. The program stopped providing funds in 1997, but about 200 health care facilities nationwide are still obligated to provide free or reduced-cost care.

Health Insurance Assistance

Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan

This program is meant to provide people who have a pre-existing condition with comprehensive health coverage at the same price healthy people pay while receiving benefits at any qualified provider of their choice.  It was designed as a bridge until the new insurance rules go into effect in 2014, when all Americans will have access to health insurance.  Currently, 27 states administer their own plans for their residents while 23 plans are administered by the federal government.  Thus, no matter which state in which you reside, there is an option.

CCF - Center for Children and Families

This is the main site which explains the various programs.  These programs are by state with different qualification for different states.
Most states cover both children and pregnant women and many cover families meeting the income criteria. 

Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

This is a list of qualification by state. 

Help With Medications, Testing Supplies and Insulin

Partnership for Prescription Assistance

This is a non-profit clearing house founded by Montel Williams which assists in finding resources for the uninsured and those below certain income levels.  They have an 800 number where you can speak to a counselor who will help you to get in touch with various programs. 

NeedyMeds

This is a  501(c)(3) non-profit information resource which helps people in need find assistance programs to help them afford their medications and costs related to health care.  It's similar to the Partnership for Prescription Assistance Program above.

Test Strips:

Abbott Freestyle Promise Program  - you can also get a free meter and test strips for as low as $15.00 a month for 100 strips, at least that's what they claim.

Bayer SimpleWins Patient Assist. Prg - Bayer Contour meters and strips and other Bayer products. 

Accu-chek Aviva Discount Program 

This is for the Accu-Chek Aviva meter only.  You must have a prescription for the strips as far as I know.  The discount card comes in the box when you buy the meter.  You can activate it on-line.  Here's a claim from the site:

About the ACCU-CHEK Connect prescription discount card
The discount will be automatically applied each time you use your ACCU-CHEK Connect prescription discount card with a valid prescription. The card ensures you'll pay no more than $15 on every test strip prescription.* 

*Limitations apply. Maximum discount up to $50 per prescription after primary insurance and $15 patient payment. Not valid for ACCU-CHEK Comfort Curve or ACCU-CHEK Active test strips. Not valid for prescriptions paid by Medicare, Medicaid or other government programs, or where prohibited by law. Cash-paying customers may also be eligible. See reverse side of card for complete program details.  I called them and they said for cash payments the discount is $20.00 for 50 strips and $40.00 for 100.
They also said the discount works for the Compact meter as well. 

Here's some other resources on line for the Accu-Chek (remember you have to buy the meter to get the card)

AC meter and strips at Amazon 

Amazon mail order

I think the draw back with buying strips from Amazon might be that you have to have a prescription filled to get the discount.  But you can still buy the meter that comes with a few strips there to get the discount card.

Lower Cost Generic Store Brand testing supplies
- most of these can be bought over the counter without a prescription.

Truetest meters and strips
These are available in stores such as RiteAid, CVS, Target, and Walgreens as well as online from different sources.

Prices vary widely, for instance Amazon has 100 strips for $39. which works out to 40 cents each RiteAid has 100 for $69. RiteAid and different retail stores frequently run sales though.

From my observation the best prices are on-line. Using a search engine such as "The Find" you can get multiple listings and see prices. BE CAREFUL when you buy from on-line sources. In some cases the strips are close to the expiration date. Make sure you choose a reputable site which may not be the cheapest one. Also, shipping should be factored into the price, try to get free shipping whenever possible

TrueTest Strips on TheFind.

WalMart testing supplies - see separate Walmart entry below.

Insulin Pumps and Supplies

Free insulin pumps and pump supplies

If your doctor has recommended an insulin pump but you cannot afford one, start by calling the pump company on this link. Most have some sort of assistance program or they may be able to direct you to other support organizations. Pump companies may even offer you a contracted or reduced rate if you plead your case. Even if they cannot offer you any financial assistance, if they give you a cheaper price, you have less to find funding for to cover on your own.

There is also a "pump exchange" site where supplies can be donated and also people in need may be able to obtain some:

http://www.diabetesdaily.com/edelman/2009/08/how-to-donate-diabetes-supplies.php

Insulin  Supplies

Eli Lilly - Lilly Cares Program   -  their products include:

Glucagon™ (glucagon for injection )
Humalog® (insulin lispro injection )
Humalog® Mix75/25™ (75% Insulin lispro protamine suspension, 25% insulin lispro injection )
Humalog® Mix50/50™ (50% Insulin lispro protamine suspension, 50% insulin lispro injection )

Novo Nordisk Patient Asst. Prg. for Diabetics  Their products include:

NovoLog® Mix 70/30
NovoLog®
Levemir®
Insulin Delivery Systems
Prandin®

Sanofi-Aventis U.S. Patient Assistance Program

Lantus and
Apidra® insulin

WalMart human insulins - see separate Walmart entry below.

Other injectables

Amylin Pharmaceuticals » Patient Assistance Program

Byetta®
and
Symlin®

WalMart - testing supplies and insulin.

Testing supplies:

WalMart has several brands of glucose monitors and test strips available at much lower prices than the name brands.  They also have a mail-order program where strip prices are even cheaper.
No prescription is needed to buy monitors and/or strips.  All products are available in stores and some on-line.

ReliOn Monitors and test strips

ReliOn test strips 300 count 

ReliOn Insulin and related items

Walmart and Sam’s Club ReliOn insulins are made by Eli Lilly and Company.

The Humulin ReliOn brand of insulin will include the following types of insulin:
• Humulin® N U-100 (NPH human insulin isophane suspension)
Humulin® R U-100 (regular insulin human injection, USP )
Humulin® 70/30 (70% human insulin isophane suspension, 30% human insulin injection )

I couldn't find an on-line source, but they are available in all stores.  I checked the prices in my area and all types were $24.88 a vial.  They may be less expensive in other areas of the country. 

Relion syringes 

Different states have different rules for buying insulin and syringes.  Use this link to find the rules for your state:

IOH - State Prescription Laws for Syringes and Insulin

Book recommended for anyone using insulin:
Think Like a Pancreas

Walmart also has many generic drugs available at low cost:

Walmart Low Cost Prescription Plan

Misc. Services and Products

Lions club/ sight programs
Having many programs including assistance in getting glasses.

U.S. Second Harvest Food Bank Locator

FREE Diabetes ID Necklace

When I find more I'll add them to this list for all resources.  If you find any please let me know.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

lizzylou

Here's a link about that:  click here

It says:

All three candidates said they would also support overturning a state law that forbids the use of manufacturer-sponsored drug rebate or discount programs. Two different versions of the bill passed, but it was not voted on by the full legislature last session.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
greydogs
Total Posts: 1,036
Registered on: ‎12-13-2010

Thanks for turning that up Lizzy. I was aware of the controversy about Doctors getting discounts, and gifts, but, unaware of the rebate and discount issues for patients. This was all part of Mitt Romney's health care plan which was the basis for "Obamacare" which  is now law here.

Guess I'll have to get on the horn with my state legislators.
A1C
--11.4- 12/23/09 (at diagnosis)
--9.3- 1/21/10
--5.8- 4/25/10
--6.1- 6/15/13
--5.8--8/5/13
--6.1--3/14/14(most recent)
Heart bypass surgery 1/10/13
Managing bg with diet and exercise and 500 mg of Metformin.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,706
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

In a lot of ways it is like a huge shell game...

In actuality the manufacturer's rebate coupons are a huge concern that are driving up private insurance rates as well. What happens is that the pharmaceutical companies issue coupons that cut back on the amount the consumer pays, but the share paid by the insurance plan stays the same.

The most heavily advertised one is for Lipitor, in which the makers of Lipitor allow you to get Lipitor for $4. Why take a generic they say, when Lipitor is doing such a good job for you? Well the fact is that you may pay $4 for either one, but the insurance company may pay nothing for simvastatin, whose cost is covered by your $4, but they end up paying $100+/month for Lipitor, which really isn't significantly better than the generic statins. 

Add to that that the drug stores are not allowed to tell the insurance companies who is using coupons to pay for their drugs, so if you have a $250 deductible on your prescription coverage, a couple of months of Lipitor-or the AccuChek strips, or any of the dozens of other meds that have these coupons--and you can meet your $250 deductible while paying out maybe as little as $12! And of course the insurance companies' logic for having the deductible there in the first place is so that you don't spend any more than necessary for prescriptions.

I first read about this in connection with a very expensive skin med, costing $500+ per month.  The insurers could not figure out why all of a sudden all these patients were choosing this non-formulary med instead of a much cheaper generic equivalent that was as good, or nearly as good.  Turned out it was the coupons...

In the case of the AccuChek strips, the insurance company will end up paying far more than if you used the strips that they have negotiated a special deal on. They rely on the lower co-pay to steer you towards their preferred brand. Because AccuChek in effect lowers your co-pay to $15,and the insurance company ends up paying a lot more for test strips.

Ultimately the coupons to a large extent are a way for drug companies to expand sales of highly overpriced medications (or test strips) by sticking it to the insurance companies. Ultimately what will happen is that the insurance companies will end up raising premiums by that much more than they otherwise would have to cover this expense.

In Massachusetts, where the insurance company might be the state plan, it sounds like when they wrote the law, they protected the taxpayers from this added expense. So when they change that law, premiums will go up that much more.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

lizzylou

But my main concern Morris, is for the people that don't have insurance.  It's not so much a matter of them saving money with coupons, it's a matter of them saving their health by being able to have the meds. they need. 

So it's not a matter of who makes more money the pharmaceuticals or the insurance companies to me.  But, as always, it's the people who suffer the consequences either way because business must have their profits one way or the other. 
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Established Advisor
greydogs
Total Posts: 1,036
Registered on: ‎12-13-2010

Isn't it amazing that that it's always more complicated that one first thinks?

In MA, we're required by law to have health insurance. So, it makes sense that the insurance companies are protecting themselves this way. But, the other issue is taxes. The state now requires us to pay sales taxes on the full cost of testing strips, even though we're just paying a co-pay. So, my $30 co-pay, plus the tax on a $110 box of strips is now $37.15. That, on top of my $14,000 per year in health insurance premiums, sure hurts.
A1C
--11.4- 12/23/09 (at diagnosis)
--9.3- 1/21/10
--5.8- 4/25/10
--6.1- 6/15/13
--5.8--8/5/13
--6.1--3/14/14(most recent)
Heart bypass surgery 1/10/13
Managing bg with diet and exercise and 500 mg of Metformin.

lizzylou

Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

amyellisintx
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎03-04-2011

Lizz

I am new to this site just joined today was not aware there was a website like this, I was diagnosed just last september. My husband works and I am a student because we have income we do not qualify for medicaid help but my husband does not make enough money to pay for insurance out of his pocket and his job does not offer it. Thank you for these linksI am guilty of not testing because we can not afford the test strips its that or feed or kids sometimes. The problem I have now is I can not afford to go back to see my doctor for the prescrption of more medicine so I am not taking any. I know this is not good. Is there any help for that?
lizzylou

Hi Amy, welcome!

I'm still in the process of adding to this post, eventually there will be info. about medical resources too.  In the meantime here's a very good site which gives info on local clinics in your area.  You just plug in the name of your state.  I checked this out by putting in my area and the info. they gave was correct and timely.  click here

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

princessbeiter
Total Posts: 107
Registered on: ‎01-29-2011

For the Freestyle Program, all you have to do is sign up for the program and they will send you the meter for free.  That's all I did and I told them I was on Medicare/Medicaid.  I don't qualify for the test strips.

I have diabetes, diabetes does not have me!

Life without humor is not worth living!

Get Thee behind me Satan, and DON'T PUSH!