Frequent Responder
spunky1938
Total Posts: 117
Registered on: ‎12-20-2012

Resistant starch fiber

Has anyone heard of Resistant starch fiber?   Every diabetic should be aware of it!  Inulin, one of the  resistant starch fibers occurs naturally in some "root" foods  like onions, Jerusalem artichokes and chicory roots.  It is 0 on the glycemic

index.     Another one is made from a hybrid form of corn, the brand name is Hi maize 260.  It was first discovered in Australia.  These products can be used to lower the carb count in many otherwise high carb foods.  I make pizza crust

half Hi maize and half flour.  Cuts the carb count in half and is really good.  I can make cookies that raise blood sugar almost not at all.  Pancake/waffle mix and smoothie mix and other foods as well.   

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
20 units of long acting insulin in evening
A1c 7 diet/exercise
No drugs, no other health problems
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,060
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Resistant starch fiber

Haven't heard of hte Hi maize 260 before, but the inulin is well known around here. Inulin is the "secret" to Dreamfields pasta :smileywink: However, you still have to watch not to overcook it, as it will breakdown and be the same the as regular pasta....also some people to digest it better than others, so it doesn't rate as 0 when it comes to effects on BG for various individuals.

Super Advisor
ShirlAgn
Total Posts: 945

[ Edited ]

billsreef wrote:

Haven't heard of hte Hi maize 260 before, but the inulin is well known around here. Inulin is the "secret" to Dreamfields pasta :smileywink: However, you still have to watch not to overcook it, as it will breakdown and be the same the as regular pasta....also some people to digest it better than others, so it doesn't rate as 0 when it comes to effects on BG for various individuals.

This might be the product.  Different brand maybe.  

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/hi-maize5-in-1-fiber.aspx#.UPX9pWd_6qI

Edited:   I get the feeling "proper" cooks weigh everything.  I have no idea how many cups would be 100g.

Take care,
Shirl

Me: DX: '08 - Type 2;  '12 - early kidney disease
This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
BG's 70-120. Avg AM BP 125/65. BMI 22.2-23.2
Still learning

Hubby: Not diabetic
'13 - Kidneys crashed, End Stage Renal Disease, AV fistula for dialysis
Colostomy, Anemia and Post Prandial Hypotension
Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

The Hi maize resistant starch fiber does not cause the same digestive  problems as Inulin.  People who are not used to eating a high fiber diet will have more problem with inulin.  I have no

problem because I am used to a high fiber diet.

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

Shirlagn

That is the product and it is where I buy my 50 lb bags.  Have youtried it?

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Super Advisor
ShirlAgn

spunky1938 wrote:

Shirlagn

That is the product and it is where I buy my 50 lb bags.  Have youtried it?

I haven't tried it, but you've got me thinking.  I do use their almond meal (5#) for muffins, and works very well for me.  I don't eat wheat, rice, or soy.

Are you a professional cook/baker?  I'd have a hard time storing 50# almond meal safely.  Or is the Hi-Maize storage more like flour and regular cornmeal?

Take care,
Shirl

This community. Keep moving; graze on bit of protein and lots of veggies; meds. No wheat, rice, or soy.
Still learning

Colo vesicle fistula (hole bladder to colon), can't be repaired due to radiation damage

Life sure isn't boring.
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

Yes I am a professional baker on a small scale.  I created a diabetic bakery as a result of my own diabetes.  I use Hi maize and inulin to lower the carb count of my products that.

I sell at farmers markets and the YMCA and corporate wellness programs.  I also open my little shop which is next to my home.   It seems that people are unaware of Hi maize.  Inulin is more famaliar.

Both of them are used in commercially processed foods.  They put the resistant starch fiber in what I call junk food (with sugar, corn syrup and white flour and they call it modified starch)

so they can put a good source of fiber on the label. Inulin is used in Activia yogurt, Dreamfield pasta and other places.  Neither one seems to be marketed to diabetics.  Hi maize 260  and inulin can be kept

unrefrigerated for 2 years.  It keeps better than flour.  I just made some homemade vanilla pudding with Splenda and Hi maize 260.  It is pretty good.  I am still experimenting with both of them, but

I found I can use them in many places.

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

shirlAgn

You said you don't eat wheat, Rice or Soy.  Are you alergeic to wheat or is because of the carbs?  Do you use oat or barley flour?  How about oat flour and oat bran? 

I ask, because I may have some ideas for you.

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise
Super Advisor
ShirlAgn

spunky1938 wrote:

shirlAgn

You said you don't eat wheat, Rice or Soy.  Are you alergeic to wheat or is because of the carbs?  Do you use oat or barley flour?  How about oat flour and oat bran? 

I ask, because I may have some ideas for you.

I've never been officially diagnosed with alergies.  But with wheat, I eat it, get very bloated, agony for days, and bgs not good.  Just not worth the price for me.  Rice, I never got it to work with my bgs and was never a big rice eater anyway, so no big loss.  Soy, I just don't feel good after eating, for about a day, so again not worth it.

Haven't tried the oat or barley flour, or the oat bran.  I think barley is related to wheat.  I keep trying regular old fashioned oats, for about 5 years, but haven't had luck with even scant 1/4 cup.  I've even tried putting fats ahead and behind it in stomach.  Same trying veggies before and after. 

Thinking about oat groats (doctor's suggestion).  Seems like I should be able to just add to plain recipe, like I do sometimes with blueberries. I'd like to come up with a cookie or muffin that I could have a choice of making smaller, or only eat half now and half later.  I graze/nibble/snack.  I've just haven't tried anything new lately.  The almond meal muffins freeze well, very filling.  I've never been a big bread eater so a dozen muffins last awhile.

Nice to have you around.  "Pick your brain" so to speak.

Take care,
Shirl

Still learning

Life sure isn't boring.
Frequent Responder
spunky1938

[ Edited ]

ShirlAgn.

Here is a tip for you.  You may be able to eat wheat if it  has sour dough starter in it.  I have family,  friends & customers who react to wheat like you do, however they can eat sourdough.  Sourdough starter

develops lactobacillus bacteria, which resolves the digestive problems.  I have put sourdough starter in muffins for my friend, she could eat them without the usual digestive problems.  You couldn't taste the starter,

but it worked. Sour dough bread does not raise blood sugar as much as bread without the starter.  Sourdough starter is real easy to make at home and you can add it to many foods without tasteing it..

You have inspired me, I  have created a cookie with Hi Maize and Inulin that does not raise blood sugar almost not at all even if eaten before bedtime.  I am going to try adding sourdough starter to it and see

what happens.   I am like a mad scientist in my little bakery.  Send me a private message and I will tell you what I learn.

[Has been edited to remove poster's email address.  Please protect your private information and correspond one-on-one using the platform's private messages instead.]

Spunky1938
Diagnosed in 1994
A1c 7 diet/exercise