Visitor
loizlain
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎07-31-2013

Red sore on back of neck????

Hi, I'm Wendy and I'm new here.  My Brother who is 44 has type 2 Diabetes and has already lost both his legs due to this disease.  I am at a loss right now as I just found out he is in

intensive care for a red sore/boil on the back of his neck. ER told him he must have been bitten by a spider and sent him home with anitibiotics...He went back to ER today because he is in so

much pain in his neck which is now turning blue!!!  Now the ER has no idea what the sore is and said his potassium is extremely high and his blood sugar went close to 400 because he is so

upset. 

Has anyone heard of such a sore on the back of the neck causing such pain????  He lives in NY and I really don't think these Doctors have a clue as how to help him and I'm extremely scared for him!!!!  They said he could have a heart attack due to the high potassium and have him in intensive care right now.    IF ANYONE HAS ANY RESOURCES OR HAS EXPERIENCE A SIMILIAR SITUATION PLEASE LET ME KNOW.   I am sick over this and have no idea how to help him.   Thank you.

Wendy

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,807
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Red sore on back of neck????

[ Edited ]

loizlain wrote:

Hi, I'm Wendy and I'm new here.  My Brother who is 44 has type 2 Diabetes and has already lost both his legs due to this disease.  I am at a loss right now as I just found out he is in

intensive care for a red sore/boil on the back of his neck. ER told him he must have been bitten by a spider and sent him home with anitibiotics...He went back to ER today because he is in so

much pain in his neck which is now turning blue!!!  Now the ER has no idea what the sore is and said his potassium is extremely high and his blood sugar went close to 400 because he is so

upset. 

Has anyone heard of such a sore on the back of the neck causing such pain????  He lives in NY and I really don't think these Doctors have a clue as how to help him and I'm extremely scared for him!!!!  They said he could have a heart attack due to the high potassium and have him in intensive care right now.    IF ANYONE HAS ANY RESOURCES OR HAS EXPERIENCE A SIMILIAR SITUATION PLEASE LET ME KNOW.   I am sick over this and have no idea how to help him.   Thank you.

Wendy

Welcome

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Do you know what his blood sugar level was before this started? The stress that he is under as well as what ever he has will cause his blood glucose level to rise. I have no experience with a sore/boil on the neck. But I do have experience with redness in my legs that would eventually turn blue. I was aways hospitalized for this. I was diagnosed with an infection and treated with antibiotics. Now that being said, your brother's problem could have been a spider bite that became infected. As for the high potassium, I can't help you there.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
jpg391

jpg391 wrote:

loizlain wrote:

upset. 

Wendy

Welcome

I'm sorry to hear about your brother. Do you know what his blood sugar level was before this started? The stress that he is under as well as what ever he has will cause his blood glucose level to rise. I have no experience with a sore/boil on the neck. But I do have experience with redness in my legs that would eventually turn blue. I was aways hospitalized for this. I was diagnosed with an infection and treated with antibiotics. Now that being said, your brother's problem could have been a spider bite that became infected. As for the high potassium, I can't help you there.

I also want to add that I'm not a doctor, none of us are. We can only speak from what we have experienced ourselves.

James G

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
Visitor
loizlain

Thank you James.  Yes, his sugar went sky high because he was very upset.  His sore was originaly red, hurt and then said it turned blue! They are giving him meds now and keeping him overnite.  I think just knowing that maybe it's just an infection that needs meds might help me relax until I hear further from his wife. I live in Pa (5 hours away from him) but may be going up there tomorrow if he is not any better.  I am beside myself right now and hope maybe this is a place I can talk to others who are dealing with these same issues.  It helps when someone understannds or has been through it . 

Thank you again and I will keep you posted as soon as I hear anything.  Who knows, maybe this post can help someone else who might experience this situation also.

Wendy

Visitor
loizlain

Oh yes, I know.  I feel bad asking these questions but just wanted to know if maybe others have experienced this situation.  I know any responses are not medical responses and just opinions and/or experiences.  Thank you James.  :smileyhappy:     Just kind of makes me feel better being in this forum where others now the kind of stress one deals with in living with Diabetes.  I am trying to be positive and saying prayers like crazy. He is still my little Brother and I don't want him to be going through all this aweful stuff.  :smileysad:

Super Advisor
jpg391

Wendy, please keep us posted on his condition, if you can.

James G

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
81mg Asprin once a day
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,523
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

[ Edited ]

loizlain wrote:

Oh yes, I know.  I feel bad asking these questions but just wanted to know if maybe others have experienced this situation.  I know any responses are not medical responses and just opinions and/or experiences.  Thank you James.  :smileyhappy:     Just kind of makes me feel better being in this forum where others now the kind of stress one deals with in living with Diabetes.  I am trying to be positive and saying prayers like crazy. He is still my little Brother and I don't want him to be going through all this aweful stuff.  :smileysad:

In regard to the high potassium level, does your brother take medication for high blood pressure?  And, what kind if so.  Some blood pressure meds can raise potassium levels.  I will be glad to search the side effects for the drug.  I take lisinopril and that is one of the side effects possible.

I am sorry that your brother is having so many problems.  You are more than welcome here to express your worries and ask questions.  We all learn from each other.

Be safe.

Marty

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

loizlain wrote:

upset. 

Wendy

Hi and welcome.  A lot would depend on what type of spider it was.  Diabetes further complicates things, especiaaly if he was not in good contol.  It's not unheard of for certain bites to turn blue or black and blue.  Here's a link to explain more:  click here.

Spider bites are common, especially in summer, so I'm sure that the hospital has dealt with this before.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
loizlain

Thank you so much for the feedback and well wishes!!  Well, Docs are saying my Brother may have been bit by the Brown Recluse Spider.  I saw a pic of the back of his neck and the large bump is like a huge boil that is breaking open.  He is still in ICU and they are doing all kinds of tests to ensure it was a spider bite.  I will keep everyone updated.  I will prob be on this forum much more as I want to learn as much as possbile with his Diabetes and get as much support to help understand and help him.

Thank you!!

WEndy

Occasional Visitor
emsdremzjwlr
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎08-01-2013

I am really sorry to hear about your brother. I hope is healing.  Here is a link to photos of a brown recluse spider bite. It may shed some light on what kind of spider may have bitten him.  I am not a doctor or nurse.  http://news.yahoo.com/girls-brown-recluse-spider-bite-turns-open-wound-125100227.html;_ylt=A2KJ2PbqB...