LynnC67
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎10-24-2013

RLS or neuropathy

I was diagnosed with diabetes type II in 2010, but a few years before that I developed what I thought was RLS. Now my doctor is having me tested for neuropathy. How will I know the difference? Has anyone had this experience? If so, can you share some thoughts?

Lynn Costello
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,275
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

Re: RLS or neuropathy

LynnC67 wrote:

I was diagnosed with diabetes type II in 2010, but a few years before that I developed what I thought was RLS. Now my doctor is having me tested for neuropathy. How will I know the difference? Has anyone had this experience? If so, can you share some thoughts?

Hi and welcome to the community Lynn!  Has the doctor ordered a nerve conduction test?  If you had diabetes (and many are not diagnosed in the early stages) a good while before your diagnosis, it could have been neuropathy all along.  Are you keeping your diabetes under good control?  Keeping your blood glucose closer to normal is one of the best things you can do to help with neuropathy.   

I have non-diabetes neuropathy in one leg and foot due to back surgery.  If I don't take my Gabapentin my nerves go nuts in my leg including sharp shooting pains like a lightening strike almost.  The Gabapentin does not stop it all but it certainly helps with the pain.  When the nerves in my legs and foot go crazy it makes me nervous allover.  My foot can feel very hot, but it is ice cold to touch. 

Marty

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Frequent Advisor
robertdant
Total Posts: 479
Registered on: ‎10-05-2013

LynnC67 wrote:

LynnC67

I went through the same thing n March 2013 and have put what happened to me in my blog.  Just covered the subject in a three part series.

http://robertdant.blogspot.com/2013/10/neuropathy-or-restless-leg-syndrome-rls.html will take you to part 1.  Hope it helps.

Type II
A1c - April 2013 - 8.1
A1c - September 2013 - 6.4
A1c - April 2014 - 6.4
Controlling with supplements, diet, and exercise
http://robertdant.blogspot.com

Bob
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 8,275
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

I have read Bob's blog posts regarding the RLS and neuropathy.....you will find some helpful info there for sure! 

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Frequent Advisor
robertdant

marty1955 wrote:

I have read Bob's blog posts regarding the RLS and neuropathy.....you will find some helpful info there for sure! 

Marty,

Thanks. 

LynnC67 - you are doing the right thing - getting a test.  Should help identify what is really going on.

Type II
A1c - April 2013 - 8.1
A1c - April 2014 - 6.4

Bob
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,496
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I just knew that my legs were acting real funny, with lots of pain and I could not ever find a comfortable postion, or keep them still.  So I read some medical books and discovered a likely cause--Restless leg syndrome--and found various supplements to take that were reputed to help that condition. Each time I tried a new one, it seemed to help for a while, but then the symptoms would get a little worse, I tried everything I could find for it, and when it had become truyly unbearable for an extended period, finally went to a doctor, who diagnosed me with Type 2 Diabetes and neuropathy.

Geting my blood sugar numbers to normal and taking Alpha Lipoic Acid got rid of 95% of the neuropathy, and within 3-6 months, my legs were vastly improved. I coubt if I ever had RLS; although it seemed like a likely diagnosis, it was almost certainly the wrong one.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
robertdant

morrisolder wrote:

I just knew that my legs were acting real funny, with lots of pain and I could not ever find a comfortable postion, or keep them still.  So I read some medical books and discovered a likely cause--Restless leg syndrome--and found various supplements to take that were reputed to help that condition. Each time I tried a new one, it seemed to help for a while, but then the symptoms would get a little worse, I tried everything I could find for it, and when it had become truyly unbearable for an extended period, finally went to a doctor, who diagnosed me with Type 2 Diabetes and neuropathy.

Geting my blood sugar numbers to normal and taking Alpha Lipoic Acid got rid of 95% of the neuropathy, and within 3-6 months, my legs were vastly improved. I coubt if I ever had RLS; although it seemed like a likely diagnosis, it was almost certainly the wrong one.

Morrisolder,

Great addition and just goes to show how close both these things can be.  It can be discouraging at times.  How did the Acid work - I take some now as it helps many other things and I also want to just avoid any leg or feet symptoms.

Type II
A1c - April 2013 - 8.1
A1c - April 2014 - 6.4

Bob
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,496
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Bob--

Nobody really knows how Alpha Lipoic Acid works on neuropathy, but it IS the only anit-oxidant that is both water and fat soluble, enabling it to penetrate into unusual places that other anti-oxidants cannot reach, perhaps including nerve sheathes and synapses. Anit -oxidants are supposed to remove free radicals, and if ALA can do that in those locations, it could be speeding recovery of the nerve tissues, which are the slowest healing tissues we have.  At any rate, that is the best guess I have heard....

I don't know that RLS and neuropathy are really all that similar, but some of the symptoms can be described in very similar ways, which makes it hard to distinguish betweent them, especially for someone just learning about one and/or the other.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
robertdant

morrisolder wrote:

Bob--

Nobody really knows how Alpha Lipoic Acid works on neuropathy, but it IS the only anit-oxidant that is both water and fat soluble, enabling it to penetrate into unusual places that other anti-oxidants cannot reach, perhaps including nerve sheathes and synapses. Anit -oxidants are supposed to remove free radicals, and if ALA can do that in those locations, it could be speeding recovery of the nerve tissues, which are the slowest healing tissues we have.  At any rate, that is the best guess I have heard....

I don't know that RLS and neuropathy are really all that similar, but some of the symptoms can be described in very similar ways, which makes it hard to distinguish betweent them, especially for someone just learning about one and/or the other.

Morris,

I really apreciate the information.  You are right they are very different - it is the symptoms that are similar.

I have not heard of anything else that helps and sounds like there is no real answer but it did some good for you.

Thanks

Type II
A1c - April 2013 - 8.1
A1c - April 2014 - 6.4

Bob