Responder
msdbee54
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎04-01-2012

Re: QUESTION ABOUT SF DRINKS

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question you really helped me, that's why I love coming here. It's almost as good/better than calling my nutrition nurse. I read the ingredients on my SF Hawaiian Punch box and guess what the second ingredient was? Yes, that's right maltodextrin!!!! I will try Kroger's brand. Thanks again.

DX: Type 2 , June 2010
Metformin ER 500mg in morning and evening
Glipizide 5mg in morning and evening
Started Bydureon 2mg inj. 4/18/13
1/10/13 A1C 6.7
HTZ 25mg
Vasotec
Zocor
Responder
msdbee54

It seems that maltodextrin is in my SF drink. I will be trying the Kroger brand because I know that Splenda doesn't cause a problem. Maybe it's the Aspartame. Thanks for your help! 

1/10/13 A1C 6.7
HTZ 25mg
Vasotec
Zocor
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I can't drink any of those drinks as the powdered drinks always cause me to have horrible  leg cramps going up the front of my legs..

And a lot of the drinks have things that are made from corn such as maltodextrin, absorbic acid, etc. I am getting so I am sticking to just

plain water.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

[ Edited ]

No carb is not necessarily no carb. As long as the carb count is a certain fraction below 1 it can be called no carb. Unfortunately I don't remember the fraction but for the sake of illustration let's say it's .9. If you drink 6 'no carb' sf drinks from powder a day as I do and they actually have .9 carbs each you've actually consumed 5.4 carbs. Not much but if one is eating supposed sf foods all day as well the numbers could add up.

Interestingly some researchers have observed insulin release being triggered in animals by consumption of sweet liquids and foods even if they are sugar free. Whether the same happens in humans is probably not yet known.

There may be more going on here than meets the eye.

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,724
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

In the low carb diet world we call this "hidden carbs" and they are everywhere.  They are a source of what is also referred to as "carb creep" where dieters experience stalls in weight loss because they believe the are still eating low to no carb, but they have allowed these things to add up.

I remember a friend who could not reach ketosis, but was drinking 6-8 44 oz teas per day...He drove a lot in his sales job.  The problem was he was using SIX packets of sweet n low per drink.

They also tend to put sugar in the most unexpected places.  During my sons spring break I was at my parents in Texas....my mom was wondering why there was such a difference in carb counts from on can of corn to another....One had sugar on the ingredient list and the other did not...small difference in serving sizes.

The moral of this story is to pay attention to the ingredient lists, as well as the nutrition label.  Buyer beware:smileyhappy:

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4

Lipids TC 203, LDL 110, VLDL 20, Triglycerides 100, HDL 73
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

gphxgphx wrote:

No carb is not necessarily no carb. As long as the carb count is a certain fraction below 1 it can be called no carb. Unfortunately I don't remember the fraction but for the sake of illustration let's say it's .9. If you drink 6 'no carb' sf drinks from powder a day as I do and they actually have .9 carbs each you've actually consumed 5.4 carbs. Not much but if one is eating supposed sf foods all day as well the numbers could add up.

Interestingly some researchers have observed insulin release being triggered in animals by consumption of sweet liquids and foods even if they are sugar free. Whether the same happens in humans is probably not yet known.

There may be more going on here than meets the eye.

Just like deafmack, I'll stick to water only!

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

carlking2 wrote:

In the low carb diet world we call this "hidden carbs" and they are everywhere.  They are a source of what is also referred to as "carb creep" where dieters experience stalls in weight loss because they believe the are still eating low to no carb, but they have allowed these things to add up.

I remember a friend who could not reach ketosis, but was drinking 6-8 44 oz teas per day...He drove a lot in his sales job.  The problem was he was using SIX packets of sweet n low per drink.

They also tend to put sugar in the most unexpected places.  During my sons spring break I was at my parents in Texas....my mom was wondering why there was such a difference in carb counts from on can of corn to another....One had sugar on the ingredient list and the other did not...small difference in serving sizes.

The moral of this story is to pay attention to the ingredient lists, as well as the nutrition label.  Buyer beware:smileyhappy:

Well said!  Thank you!!

Established Advisor
Suzzzie
Total Posts: 979
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

grandto8 wrote:

I was glad to see this question raised.  I have a SF drink that I have been drinking since diagnosis in January. It is a product by Talking Rain called Sparkling Ice.  The Nutrition Facts label lists 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 0 sodium, 0 carb, 0 sugars, basically 0 everything.

After reading the responses here I took another look at the label.  It also states "contains 3% fruit juice".  When I looked closer at the fine print, sure enough, it contains apple juice as well as Biotin 1% Trit. (maltodextrin).  I knew that it contained Splenda and I am fine with that.  So, the juice and maltodextrin could be problematic for me (although these ingredients are in very small amounts).  Looks like I will test and adjust with my meter.

Diane,  I really enjoy the Sparkling ICE drinks too!  My favorite is the Pink Grapefruit. :smileyhappy:

I've never had a problem with Sparkling ICE raising my blood sugar...but of course YMMV (your mileage may vary). 

Splenda contains Sucralose, Maltodextrin and Dextrose - each little yellow packet contains 0.9 grams of Carbohydrates and 4 Calories.  So we're getting a little bit of Maltodextrin in everything sweetened with Splenda.

Suzzzie

suzzzie
Type 2 since 2006
Responder
msdbee54

That's interesting! I didn't know that about Splenda. I eat lots of so called SF things with Splenda in them. I guess I will start to weed my way through each of them to see what I can and can't eat. My God, I gave up jelly beans, what's left? NO SWEETS!!!! :smileysad:

1/10/13 A1C 6.7
HTZ 25mg
Vasotec
Zocor
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

msdbee54 wrote:      That's interesting! I didn't know that about Splenda. I eat lots of so called SF things with Splenda in them. I guess I will start to weed my way through each of them to see what I can and can't eat. My God, I gave up jelly beans, what's left? NO SWEETS!!!! :smileysad:

According my certified diabetes educators who are also RNs, it is better for us to eat a chocolate chip cookie than jelly beans, because the chocolate chip cookie has fats that help with the blood sugar...