Occasional Contributor
leelesmiles
Total Posts: 6
Registered on: ‎10-13-2011

Protein in urine?

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what causes protein in urine? I wa told too much sugar will cause it .and when bs gets under control it will be cleared up..... have never had it in uriine before  Thanks for any help

Lisa

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,845
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Protein in urine?

leelesmiles wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what causes protein in urine? I wa told too much sugar will cause it .and when bs gets under control it will be cleared up..... have never had it in uriine before  Thanks for any help

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Here's an explanation from the Mayo clinic that explains it.  It often has to do with high BG numbers, but it can be other causes as well.  Click on the link below:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/protein-in-urine/MY00630/DSECTION=causes

One thing that is often prescribed for diabetics are ACE inhibitors or ARBs, which help protect the kidneys even if you don't have high blood pressure.  Are you currently taking anything like that? 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
mrshumptydumpty
Total Posts: 96
Registered on: ‎04-15-2012

Hi not really sure...newly diagnosed with type 2 in 2/2012...they did a urine test, to check  protein, test was good

I do know, when i did the Atkins diet in 1999, i got a kidney stone, stuck in the ureter, and needed surgery/stent on that....too much protein

So that would me, too much meat/cheese, for me....vegetables/nuts would be better for me, as a diabetic..Dietician said corn, peas, have more carbs, so don't eat much of those too.

Too much protein can affect the kidneys..My son was 14, lifting weights, and his urine test showed too much protein....and had to go to a pediatrician urologist, but he was fine.

At the urologist visit, the NP were discussing my 24 hour urine test results ( kidney stone risk)...and i told her i was not eating much meat..She said the man before me, was about to loose his kidney. I gues he eats too much meat?...or overweight a lot

I have to find a happy medium, with all this summer fruit..I bought a tuscan melon from SamsClub, it had the nutrition label on the bag...like 10 carbs for 1/4 of the melon...or i split a small avacado with husband 

I'm happy that i went to diabetes education...dietician and nurse, i have 2 excellant ones..and will utilize the 8 hours insurance allows, with visits with them..Have used up 4 hours..and now i can do 1/2 hour sessions..we discuss the food i have eaten, my numbers

metformin 500mg in the morning, Lovaza, Benicar, Atenolol 25mg, Simvistatin, Methotrexate, Remicade, Folic Acid,Urocit-k,Cymbalta,
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

leelesmiles wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Lisa

Simply put, when cells are starving of glucose, fats are broken down to get the fuel they need to function.  That's what shows in your urine.  This is what I was taught in my diabetes class.

Advisor
mrshumptydumpty

This article explains it nicely.......

How Can I Get Enough Protein? The Protein Myth How Can I Get Enough Protein? The Protein Myth The Building Blocks of Life Protein is an important nutrient required for the building, maintenance, and repair of tissues in the body. Amino acids, the building blocks of protein, can be synthesized by the body or ingested from food. There are 20 different amin
metformin 500mg in the morning, Lovaza, Benicar, Atenolol 25mg, Simvistatin, Methotrexate, Remicade, Folic Acid,Urocit-k,Cymbalta,
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,845
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

mrshumptydumpty wrote:

This article explains it nicely.......

How Can I Get Enough Protein? The Protein Myth How Can I Get Enough Protein? The Protein Myth The Building Blocks of Life Protein is an important nutrient required for the building, maintenance, and repair of tissues in the body. Amino acids, the building blocks of protein, can be synthesized by the body or ingested from food. There are 20 different amin

Are you aware of the fact that the article was written by our PETA quack friends?  You know, the vegan bunch that are always coming here telling us how to be cured?:smileymad:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
mrshumptydumpty

Not aware of that...but then i am new here!:

I did do no meat last fall, when i got diagnosed with fatty liver.....Got that down...and got diabetes....so eating black eyed peas, a big plate for protein, no good!

I could do vegeteranian,  can't do a vegan..urologist says no soy stuff, not good for kidney stone risk

my dad was in the meat biz, so we always had meat as a kid !

first i got to watch salt

always look at calories

still find myself looking at calories..first, then carbs...and fiber now

but we are eating healthy, a little square of dark chocolate, from trader joes, has fiber!