Responder
Jkcook21
Total Posts: 34
Registered on: ‎10-27-2011

Prednisone with type 2 diabetes?

I was just at the walk in medical( and they have in their records that I was diagnosed type 2 in october$, and a have an ear infection. They gave me zithromycin and prednisone. I took a dose of both at 7 and just checked my nh and its 217!!!! It's never been higher that 160--- usually at night it's about 110. I looked up pred. And diabetes on line and I find out it raises blood sugar!!! I wanna slap that dr!! I won't take another dose, but how long will my nh stay high. ? And am I suppossed to tell every dr, even of its in my record, that I have diabetes! I'm very nervous about this high reading!!!
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Prednisone with type 2 diabetes?

Jkcook21 wrote:
I was just at the walk in medical( and they have in their records that I was diagnosed type 2 in october$, and a have an ear infection. They gave me zithromycin and prednisone. I took a dose of both at 7 and just checked my nh and its 217!!!! It's never been higher that 160--- usually at night it's about 110. I looked up pred. And diabetes on line and I find out it raises blood sugar!!! I wanna slap that dr!! I won't take another dose, but how long will my nh stay high. ? And am I suppossed to tell every dr, even of its in my record, that I have diabetes! I'm very nervous about this high reading!!!

It does raise levels, but if you're only to take it for a short time and need it for the infection you should take it.  Although the level is high it isn't dangerously high, and it should go down in a few hours after taking the pill.  Take the medication because an infection can cause your numbers to go higher too.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Responder
Jkcook21

I'll call the dr. This morning and make sure he knows I'm diabetic and see what he says. It's been 8 hours since I took the prednisone and ate and my sugar is still in the 140 range. I read a couple things where people said their sugar remained high after thanking steroids and never returned to their former lower numbers! I don't take meds and would like to keep it that way as long as possible!!!
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,798
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Jkcook21 wrote:
I'll call the dr. This morning and make sure he knows I'm diabetic and see what he says. It's been 8 hours since I took the prednisone and ate and my sugar is still in the 140 range. I read a couple things where people said their sugar remained high after thanking steroids and never returned to their former lower numbers! I don't take meds and would like to keep it that way as long as possible!!!

My guess is that the doctor will tell you to keep taking the medication. As Lizzy said infections can also cause your blood sugar to go up.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
Jkcook21

I've had the ear infection for three weeks and my sugar the night before was 105. I think it's the prednisone! But I'll do what the dr. Says!
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Prednisone is one of the classic drugs which, in nondiabetics, can temporarily cause what is known as 'drug induced diabetes'. For those of us already diabetic it can cause high bgs, as you noticed.

The thing is infections can cause high bgs also. Plus an ear infection can potentially cause permanent injury. I agree it can't hurt to remind your doctor you're diabetic and ask whether any special precautions should be taken but in the absence of any other special circumstances taking the prednisone for a short term seems like a pretty good tradeoff to me.

Prednisone is a steroid and just about any steroid has the potential to cause drug induced diabetes.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,903
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,046
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Oh, it almost surely is the prednisone, and yes it is always a good idea to mention to a new doctor that you do have diabetes, and I am sure you would be more comfortable right now if you  were sure that your doctor had taken it into consider.

Watching your numbers go up and stay up for a few more days is discouraging when you have been workin hard a lowering them but it's not really a danger, and it may not even be enough to cause any change at all in your next A1C results  Meanwhile, it can help reduce inflamation and swelling, and you doctor may see that as a more important effect right now.

Long-term use of prednisone may play a roll in allowing diabetes to develop, or to develop earlier, but I don't believe it will make any difference at all in the future course of your diabetes just because you use it for a few days.

Meanwhile, you may want to be a little more stingy with the carbs in your diet if you can, but your numbers may still be higher than usual.  You don't have to fret about what it will do permanently.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Responder
Jkcook21

Thanks! I just called the dr. And she said absolutely stop the prednisone. She said the damage to my body from the bg levels will do far more damage than the little help the prednisone does with the ear! So, I'll keep taking the xithromax( it's probably viral anyway!). I'm gonna go light in carbs today- good advice!
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,598
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

Jkcook21 wrote:
Thanks! I just called the dr. And she said absolutely stop the prednisone. She said the damage to my body from the bg levels will do far more damage than the little help the prednisone does with the ear! So, I'll keep taking the xithromax( it's probably viral anyway!). I'm gonna go light in carbs today- good advice!

Keep that doctor!

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Responder
Jkcook21

Yes! I hate when drs stick to their guns even when they're out of ammo!