Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

Potassium Rich Foods for Diabetics

"Potassium is one of the essential minerals that is necessary for good health. Potassium plays a vital role in proper functioning of the pancreas."

Read more @ Buzzle.com

"Potassium plays an important role in treatment of diabetes. The functioning of pancreas is bettered with potassium rich foods. Diabetic patients who consume ample amounts of potassium foods have a normal sugar level. In fact, insulin is effectively utilized in the body, if proper potassium levels are maintained in the body. Healing and revitalizing the cells of pancreas is done by potassium."

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,617
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Potassium Rich Foods for Diabetics

Thanks, Ralph, for posting this.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
Theresa777
Total Posts: 23
Registered on: ‎05-01-2012

Are the medications you have been taking for all these years helping your diabetes do you have any severe side effects from the metformin.

Theresa
Super Advisor
jpg391

Teresa, if you are referring to me. I had no side effects when I started the Metformin. How ever my sugars have been quite high lately and my doctor put me on Actos as well as the Metformin. Actos does have one possible major side effect and that is gall bladder cancer.

James G

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
Frequent Advisor
Yoopermom
Total Posts: 399
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

jpg391 -- Actos has been linked to cancer of the urinary bladder not the gall bladder. 

Yoopermom

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August of 2003
Metformin 1000 - 1500 mg 2003 - 2014
Currently diet and exercise controlled
Super Advisor
jpg391

[ Edited ]

Yoopermom wrote:

jpg391 -- Actos has been linked to cancer of the urinary bladder not the gall bladder. 

Yoopermom

On the WebMD site it does not say which bladder. It just says that Actos may cause Bladder Cancer.

If you care to read the WebMD articles, here are 2 links.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/bladder-cancer/news/20110616/new-bladder-cancer-warning-for-diabetes-dru...

and

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100920/diabetes-drug-actos-bladder-cancer-risk

James G

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
81mg Asprin once a day
Frequent Advisor
Yoopermom
Total Posts: 399
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

jpg391 --- If you scroll down to the warnings and precautions section in this link you will see that it's talking about the urinary bladder. 

http://www.drugs.com/pro/actos.html

You are correct that the webmd articles don't specify which bladder --- they really should so that there's no confusion.

Yoopermom

Diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in August of 2003
Metformin 1000 - 1500 mg 2003 - 2014
Currently diet and exercise controlled
Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

jpg391 wrote:

Thanks, Ralph, for posting this.

You're Welcome!!!

BTW I found this article"25 Ridiculously Healthy Foods" @ Prevention that states: "In a recent 5-year study from the Netherlands, high-potassium diets were linked with lower rates of death from all causes in healthy adults age 55 and older."