Occasional Contributor
dolly60
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎02-23-2012

Please explain net carbs

I have a favorite health bar that I eat from time to time, The carbs on the back of the package says 17 carbs, but on the front of the package it says only 2 net carbs. What does this mean? Do I count the 17 carbs, or do I count 2 net carbs. Please explain net carbs

Advisor
TrevaC
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎11-17-2011

Re: Please explain net carbs

Dolly,

Click on this link from the Diabetes Forecast magazine:  http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/ask-experts/what-are-net-carbs

It explains net carbs fairly plainly.  Also, almost an hour before you asked this question, someone else asked a very similar question.  I think it's titled, Net Carbs Help.  Check out the responses on there.

Hope this helps.

Treva
Diagnosed 11/1/11 - T2 - A1c 6.5
3/22/12 - A1c 6.2, lost 20 lbs. with low carb diet & exercise

Bystolic 20mg ~ Lisinopril 40mg ~ Furosemide 20mg for Hypertension
Singulair 10mg ~ Albuterol Inhaler ~ Zyrtec 10mg for Asthma & Allergies
Savella 100mg twice daily ~ Meloxicam 15mg for Fibromyalgia
Levothyroxine 0.5mg for Hypothyroidism
Potassium Citrate 10meq twice daily & Low Oxalate Diet for Kidney Stones
Omeprazole 40mg for GERD
Aspirin 81mg for Cardiovascular Maintenance
Bi-Pap for Sleep Apnea

Live honestly, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly & leave the rest to God.

Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

i would check its impact a few times with my meter.  If sugar alcohols are involved in the carb count differences i have found some can have a bigger impact than others. 

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

dolly60 wrote:

I have a favorite health bar that I eat from time to time, The carbs on the back of the package says 17 carbs, but on the front of the package it says only 2 net carbs. What does this mean? Do I count the 17 carbs, or do I count 2 net carbs. Please explain net carbs

There should be additional information on the Nutrition Label. What does it say for fiber, and sugar alcohols (different names ending in "...ol's")?

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Net carbs are the number of carbs left over when fibre is subtracted (fibre has a neutralising effect on carbs) as well as -ols.

Usually you can subtract half the fibre to be safe, unless the fibre is very high as in foods like Carbalose where the fibre equals the carbs.

I like to go by just the total carbs - that way I have a cushion if there's a miscalculation on my part for that meal or snack.

Cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

I was told by my certified diabetes educators not to bother with "net carbs", that it's a packaging/sales gimmick.

Frequent Advisor
xenablue
Total Posts: 1,775
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Pretty much, Daisy - which is why I ignore it in almost every food.  The exceptions that come to mind are Dreamfields pasta and Carbquik and Carbalose.

cheers,

xena

Dx 2008 - A1C 8.6
Current A1C 5.5
Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,567
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Here is the thing folks.... When you are a really reduced carb diet...IT IS IMPORTANT.  ALL the science indicates that insoluble fiber has NO impact on BG, and soluble fiber has a negligible impact on BG.  Soluble fiber is actually converted to SCFA that have a beneficial effect.  IMO you should not bother counting the fiber in your carb count...

Do what you want , and for many of you who think you practice low carb, but really eat in the neighborhood of 75-125 grams per day or more it may not matter, but to tell or advise someone who is existing on 25-60 grams of carbs per day to count the fiber...Just does not make any sense.

When you use fiber as a fudge factor or try to use some formula to calculate how much fiber you can have..you actually self limit your consumption of fiber...it is counter intuitive..you want as much fiber in your diet as you can get.  By advising people to count it, may in fact cause them to avoid it.  JM2C

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,322
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Here are my 2 cents.  I count net carbs, I couldn't tell you how it started but I do.  I deduct all fiber and look at the sugar alcohol listed on the package and what the manufacturer states.  If they don't say i.e. 5g net carbs, I just deduct 1/2 sugar alcohol.  I have not had any problems with doing it that way.  In the long run, I don't think gross or net matters as long as people eat to their meter and stay consistent with how they record their food.

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I think Rick makes a good point when he says that how we count those fiber and sugar alcohol carbs matters for some people.

I don't eat an extremely low carb diet, but I DO use a rapid-acting insulin at meals.  If I counted the fiber carbs, or all the sugar alcohol carbs, and dose for them, I end up taking more insulin than I need. I would  end up with blood sugar lower than I planned.

I've also discovered over time that I can't really trust the Dreamfield's pasta claim of 5g in two ounces of pasta any more.  In the early days, it worked just fine, and my body would pick up the slack, sort of like grazing over a few hours time to give my body more time to respond.  Now, it just seems to digest slowing and continue to add to blood glucose for six to eight hours.  I need to dose for at least 10g of carbs, or maybe a little more.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.