Long Lost Member
castle3
Total Posts: 19
Registered on: ‎05-20-2010

Pinto Beans

I ate a cereal bowl full of pinto beans for dinner tonight and was wondering if the beans were really high in carbs. I have misplaced my carb king book and hoped I could get a response here. Anyway, my evening numbers have been running anywhere from 80 to 93 and tonight my levels were 100. I usually walk every evening, but didn't have time tonight. That may have had something to do with it to, but even when I don't walk my levels are generally in the low 90's. Anyone got any experience with pinto beans? We can our own green beans and they don't seem to interfere with my numbers. This is nothing drastic or urgent, just curious for future reference. Thanks!

Sam
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Pinto Beans

Pinto, White, Kidney, Brown, Lima and Navy beans are 42g carbs per cup (6 ounces), whereas green beans are only 8g per cup (4 ounces). Even if you add another 2 ounces of green beans to make them both weigh 6 ounces, the green beans would still only have only 12g per serving. One cup of soybeans is 16g carbs, by the way. I usually use black soybeans and/or black beans in my stirfries, or tossed with green leafy salad, but my Calorie King doesn't mention either of those. So, it looks like you had 5 times the amount of carbs as usual. Will be interesting to see what number that produces on your meter tomorrow morning. What is it reading, now? (I would do at least some exercise before bed, as a matter of principle.) Please keep us posted.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Pinto Beans

You might find it helpful to know that there are several sites on-line where you can find carb information, including

http://www.calorieking.com/foods/

http://nutritiondata.com

and

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ from the USDA

The first two are a little glitzier in appearance, but all the sites seem to get their basic information from the more basic USDA site.
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Pinto Beans

I love beans in chili and stir fries, salads and by themselves. Nothing better than a nice bowl of soup beans and a little corn bread. The good ole days.... Beans spike me pretty bad. I wish they didn't spike but they do so they are on my very limited eating plan. I was raised in the "country" so Im a country girl at heart, sweets and fast food did not make me fat, I rarely ever ate those foods. It was good old fashoned cooking homey foods that made me fat, lol. I miss my beans!!

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
Long Lost Member
castle3

Pinto Beans

Levels 114 this morning. No more beans for me.

Sam
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Pinto Beans

castle3 (8/14/2010)
Levels 114 this morning. No more beans for me.

Sam

Less beans might produce a better outcome.
Contributor
jbronste
Total Posts: 428
Registered on: ‎01-13-2010

Pinto Beans

You don't have to swear off them entirely, but they clearly do not work for you as "a protein," but rather as "a carb." i'll eat beans as my only carb choice at a meal and limit myself to 1/2 cup. That works for me, you might want to see what works for you.

Green beans are in a different category altogether.
Super Advisor
Talvie
Total Posts: 3,370
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Pinto Beans

I can have up to a 1/2 cup of beans without too much of a problem. They ARE high in carbohydrates, but they also have a goodly bit of fiber, so there's some trade off there. The key, as with most things, is finding a portion size that works better for you. I don't see making an entire meal out of beans...although it's one of my favorite meals...but as a side, they can be a nice addition. I can't give them up entirely. I'm a country girl, too. Plus, they are always part of a Mexican meal, and I love Mexican food!

Talvie

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage." Anais Nin
Diagnosed December 13, 2000 w/A1c of 7.6. June 2014 A1c 5.6 Controlling with diet and exercise starting today.
Long Lost Member
castle3

Pinto Beans

I ate my normal diabetic ways today and my levels are in the 90's tonight. So, I guess I am over that little spike. Next time, pinto beans won't be the main course, but a small side and treated like I treat corn. Good lesson though! Thanks!

Sam
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Pinto Beans

I finally got another can of black soy beans (my favorite) this weekend. They have 8g carbs per half cup, with 7g fiber, and the high fiber is one of the good things about them. HERE are some more good things about them.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5