Established Advisor
efpat
Total Posts: 342
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

Pinterest Low Carb Page

I've heard a bit about pinterest.com a relatively new and growing site for posting information, links etc.

I found this Low Carb Page

Just sharing it.  I have no idea if the recipes are good, or even low carb - diabetes friendly.  Just a new source of info and the pictures are tempting!!

Evan
Diagnosed November 2007. A1C - 11.4, A1C since 5.2-6.0. Metformin 1000 2x a day.
Best comment I ever heard from someone with diabetes. - "I take my meds and I cheat every now and then." This was from a 95 year old woman living with type 2 for over 50 years!
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Pinterest Low Carb Page

Has anyone logged in to the site and if so, do the recipes show how many carbs they have?

Pretty pictures and I am guessing that the low carb spaghetti is really spaghetti squash.That is always a nice low carb veggie to eat.

But there is a pic of banana ice cream that looks to be made totally with bananas, and also one showing bananas coated with chocolate- looks delish but not something that I would spend my carbohydrate allowance on.

But thanks for posting it Evan, maybe there is some really good stuff there.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Established Advisor
efpat
Total Posts: 342
Registered on: ‎11-01-2009

[ Edited ]

Dianne,

You don't have to log in click on the pictures.  That takes you to a larger version of the pic, click on that and it gets you to the site that is the source of the picture.  But some links you the home page of the site, not the particular recipe.  That is the case for the spagetti squash pic.

I clicked on the low carb pancakes.  It links to a recipe claiming 1.6 carbs per pancake.

For those who are interested - here is and ARTICLE about pinterest.

Evan
Diagnosed November 2007. A1C - 11.4, A1C since 5.2-6.0. Metformin 1000 2x a day.
Best comment I ever heard from someone with diabetes. - "I take my meds and I cheat every now and then." This was from a 95 year old woman living with type 2 for over 50 years!
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Evan wrote...

You don't have to log in click on the pictures.  That takes you to a larger version of the pic, click on that and it gets you to the site that is the source of the picture.  But some links you the home page of the site, not the particular recipe.  That is the case for the spagetti squash pic.

Aha!  I did click but chose the spaghetti squash and one other that also took me to the home page. Now I'll go back and click on the bananas and others.

Thanks,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Established Advisor
legion681
Total Posts: 600
Registered on: ‎07-05-2011

efpat wrote:

I've heard a bit about pinterest.com a relatively new and growing site for posting information, links etc.

I found this Low Carb Page

Just sharing it.  I have no idea if the recipes are good, or even low carb - diabetes friendly.  Just a new source of info and the pictures are tempting!!

Evan, thank you SO much for this! I discovered Pinterest only a couple of days ago and I didn't even think of searching "low carb". Great find, thanks man!

Name: Al
Diabetes Type: 2
A1C results: 17 (at dx), 8.3 (2 months after dx), 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.2 (<-- latest 10.10.2012)

*** Boston Bruins - 2011 Stanley Cup Champions ***
Advisor
TrevaC
Total Posts: 99
Registered on: ‎11-17-2011

Hi all.  I've been away for a while, but just had to pop in on this discussion about Pinterest and add my two cents.  Pinterest is a collaboration of stuff that people have pinned to their made-up bulletin boards...think like a teenager for a moment and imagine your bedroom wall with your old-fashioned cork bulletin board hanging on it.  Pinned on it are little momentos of memories past:  tickets to your favorite teen idols (RIP Davy Jones), pages torn from a fashion magazine, baseball schedule for your favorite team, etc...you get the idea.  This is basically what Pinterest is, but it is a virtual bulletin board.  People create their boards and pin on whatever they want to see whenever they have a need. 

I've created lots of boards, including this one http://pinterest.com/trevac/low-carb-yummies/ .  These are just a few of the low-carb recipes that I've come across that I plan to try...some of which I've already made.  If I like them I keep it on Pinterest and add to my recipe file, and if I don't like it, I just hit the delete button.

As people can create their own boards and add whatever they like to them, you might find just about anything on Pinterest, including pins that have been copied and pinned over and over again, and pins that are new to the site.  What you see when you go to the link that Evan posted is a collaboration of all boards that have been listed with a category of low-carb.  As you can see, what's one persons idea of low-carb is not necessarily someone else's...especially a T2 diabetic!!! 

Pinterest is a lot of fun and can be very time consuming...I've had to limit my allotted time as it is addictive.  Besides, these days are spent being a lot more active than I was prior to my diagnosis...who has time to spend pinning dreams, ideas, recipes, crafts, and wishes to a virtual bulletin board...well, I guess a bunch of folks do cause it sure is popular these days.  If you get the Pinterest-itch, private message me and I will send you an invite to join...just don't hold me responsible for the amount of time you will spend pinning.  :smileyhappy:

Treva
Diagnosed 11/1/11 - T2 - A1c 6.5
3/22/12 - A1c 6.2, lost 20 lbs. with low carb diet & exercise

Bystolic 20mg ~ Lisinopril 40mg ~ Furosemide 20mg for Hypertension
Singulair 10mg ~ Albuterol Inhaler ~ Zyrtec 10mg for Asthma & Allergies
Savella 100mg twice daily ~ Meloxicam 15mg for Fibromyalgia
Levothyroxine 0.5mg for Hypothyroidism
Potassium Citrate 10meq twice daily & Low Oxalate Diet for Kidney Stones
Omeprazole 40mg for GERD
Aspirin 81mg for Cardiovascular Maintenance
Bi-Pap for Sleep Apnea

Live honestly, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly & leave the rest to God.

Frequent Responder
Phenenna
Total Posts: 46
Registered on: ‎01-10-2012

I visited this page and saw enough of interest to bookmark it and look at it later when I have more time. Some recipes noted the amount of carbs, some did not. 

I analyze all my recipes on NutritionData.com.  All you need to do is add all ingredients and the amounts, and specify how many servings the recipe makes and it will tell you all about the nutritional value of one serving.  It even specifies the different kinds of sugars, for instance.  There are numerous sites on the web that will do more or less the same thing, but I have found NutritionData the easiest to use.  Of course I haven't tried them all.

I miss my sweets at night - or a quick easy breakfast like cereal or toast.  I will be trying some of these grain-free recipes that use almond flour.  But first I got to buy almond flour and that might take a while before I get around to that.

Phenenna

Frequent Advisor
wlathe
Total Posts: 149
Registered on: ‎02-06-2012

Thanks!  I've started following.

I've been doing Pinterest for a long while now. i was invited by a friend and though wasn't sure of the use, have been using it :smileyvery-happy:.

I just started a 'healthy me' board if anyone wants to look: http://pinterest.com/treylathe/healthy-me-recipes/

Read the description. It's going to be mainly low-carb, but also I'm going to try to fit some other criteria like unprocessed, high fiber, fruits and vegetables. So I'd say about 80% are going to be low carb and about 80% are going to be unprocessed ingredients... and about 5% just plain decadent. I'm labeling them LC (low carb), V (vegetarian), VN (vegan), LF (low fat), GF (gluten-free) for reference too. 

Follow if you are on Pinterest. let me know you are from here and I'll follow back :smileyvery-happy:

Jan 1, 2012: weight 262lbs, started WW
Jan 15: symptoms begin, extreme thirst, fatigue, blurry vision, weight loss
Jan 31: T2 diabetes diagnosis. weight 242lbs, 160/123 (bp). 11.2 (a1c), 387 (fbg), 596 (ppbg). start on 500mg Metformin 1x/day, 1/2 5mg tablet glipizide 2x/day (2 meds for hypertension)
March 7: Weight 230, 7.8 (a1c), 111/68 (bp), 102 (fbg), 96 (ppbg), metformin 1500mg 1x/day, 1 statin for cholesterol). 6 meals/day, 25g carb/meal, walk >20min 3x day, swim >30min 3x/week.
I'm keeping track on a spreadsheet here.