Reply
Responder
qkrthnu
Total Posts: 32
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Out of date test strips

I have a bunch of out of date strips as my insurance co sent me way more than I needed.

 

These have never been opened are they still usable?

 

Not wanting to sell them or anything like that I just feel bad throwing them out.

 

Thanks all

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,839
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Out of date test strips


qkrthnu wrote:

I have a bunch of out of date strips as my insurance co sent me way more than I needed.

 

These have never been opened are they still usable?

 

Not wanting to sell them or anything like that I just feel bad throwing them out.

 

Thanks all



If the dates have expired it's unlikely that you can do anything with them.  I doubt if you could even sell expired strips.

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Responder
BeraJack
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Re: Out of date test strips

Many diabetics with no health coverage and limited resources would love to get those test strips.If you can find a way to make them available you should....Outdated strips are not necessarily bad.

Responder
qkrthnu
Total Posts: 32
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Re: Out of date test strips

I would be happy to pass them on or use them I just feel bad throwing them out.

 

I was going to try them alongside my in date ones and see if they are reading the same.

 

Just did not know if they are "good" to use.

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: Out of date test strips

I used some of mine up testing for the true BG rise after various meals and insulin levels. I tested every 10-15 minutes. That is about the only way to catch the true peak after a meal. See examples of the results below. These were all with stale dated strips and I could see no difference in the accuracy, when I switched to non stale dated. I believe FDA mandates stale dates on products (especially drugs) that are simply based on regulations, not  science. At least with drugs they tend to be good for at least 5 years after the "stale date". So, I would suggest testing some of your meals that you repeat to see what they are doing. It takes a lot of strips to do this kind of testing.

 

BG-Novolog.jpg

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Responder
BeraJack
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Re: Out of date test strips

[ Edited ]

Please e-mail me about those strips....  [email address removed] I could sure use them.   Any help is appreciated.

 

Note: email address removed to conform to the Terms of Use of this website, which forbid solicitation of any kind--Forum Moderator 3

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,839
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Out of date test strips


qkrthnu wrote:

I would be happy to pass them on or use them I just feel bad throwing them out.

 

I was going to try them alongside my in date ones and see if they are reading the same.

 

Just did not know if they are "good" to use.


Try your method.  I'm surprised you didn't say you could use them to start with.  If they work, use them.  Don't send them to someone who will sell them.

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  


Responder
qkrthnu
Total Posts: 32
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Re: Out of date test strips

I have very good insurance and do not really care because I can get more.

 

My main concern is if I use them and start getting bad readings (low)  I do not want to base my diet on erroneous readings.

 

I was not planning on giving them to someone who would sell them.

 

Again my main concern is the expire date, as an example I would eat out of date spices or the like but would not eat out of date dairy or fish.

 

I figured the people in the community would be able to tell me if there was any ill effects of out of date strips.

 

Best Regards

 

Paul

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,839
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,931
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Out of date test strips


qkrthnu wrote:

I have very good insurance and do not really care because I can get more.

 

My main concern is if I use them and start getting bad readings (low)  I do not want to base my diet on erroneous readings.

 

I was not planning on giving them to someone who would sell them.

 

Again my main concern is the expire date, as an example I would eat out of date spices or the like but would not eat out of date dairy or fish.

 

I figured the people in the community would be able to tell me if there was any ill effects of out of date strips.

 

Best Regards

 

Paul



If they work, they work.  And if they don't throw them away.  It would also depend on how long they've been expired.

 

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!





Here's some useful links, click on the titles


Testing 101
 
 All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos



Lizzy's Blog
for lots more