Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Oh, I am craving PB&J sandwich!!!

grannyred wrote:

I have a peanut butter and banana sandwich right before my boot camp workout.......I sometimes have pb&j....but only if I'm out of nanners......and the sugar free smuckers is 5 carbs for 1 tablespoon.   I use Sara Lee Delightful  Honey Wheat 7gr carbs per slice .

See ya.............................Big Red........................Peace

You just gave me an idea. I could get away with a PBJ with amount of jelly I like as a predive snack :smileyhappy: Can't believe that never occured to me before :smileysurprised:

Frequent Advisor
RedKat
Total Posts: 465
Registered on: ‎11-24-2011

I'm getting some good ideas from you guys. Time to mix it up a bit!

First test A1c 6.8
A1C 5.7 (2 month home test)
3 month A1c 5.4
6/22/12 A1c 5.4 (home test)
11/8/12 A1C 6.0
4/18/2013 A1C 5.4
12/22/13 A1c 6.3 (home test)

Diet and exercise
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

billsreef wrote:

grannyred wrote:

I have a peanut butter and banana sandwich right before my boot camp workout.......I sometimes have pb&j....but only if I'm out of nanners......and the sugar free smuckers is 5 carbs for 1 tablespoon.   I use Sara Lee Delightful  Honey Wheat 7gr carbs per slice .

You just gave me an idea. I could get away with a PBJ with amount of jelly I like as a predive snack :smileyhappy: Can't believe that never occured to me before :smileysurprised:

Well Bill, that sounds like a plan for you. But I do wonder if you have ever considered the jam alternative to jelly.

For me jelly is just a thinly flavored sugar. Jam on the other hand is full of flavor and gives you a little something to chomp on :smileyvery-happy: just sayin' that a little jam goes a long way towards satisfaction for me.

But looking at it from your point of view, perhaps I should take up diving. I have two grandsons who keep pointing out that some of the most pristine diving sites are right here on my doorstep on Vancouver Island.

Then I could start to discover the joys of jelly as well as our jellyfish.

Sounds like you are toughing it out with your new job in Florida,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

maplesyrup wrote:  Yes I have Daisy and this is my version....

My locally owned supermarket has their own bakery and sells some artisan type loaves that are small, sliced thin and delicious. My favorite is their Alpine loaf and it has lots of nuts and seeds and 10 grams of carb per slice. (I do not subtract the 2 gms of fibre because with most breads it is already subtracted)

I use Adams natural pnut butter, no added oil and no sugar of course and I think I am spreading it thickly and putting about 3 grams worth of carb on the bread.

For jams I always use Smucker's "no sugar added" jam that is sweetened with a small amount of white grape juice and. It has 5 grams of carb for a tablespoon as opposed to regular jam that has 15 grams of carb per tbsp.

My favorite is PB and strawberry jam and that tablespoon of jam is a fairly generous amount of jam on a small slice of bread. I am happy to eat it open faced because after all, the bread is only there to hold the pnut butter and jam.

My open faced P&J sandwich comes to 18 grams of carb max.

Time of day you asked?  well this is often a bedtime snack and only on a day where my numbers have been good and I do an after dinner walk.

Now I will not go to bed until I have had my PB fix so I hope you realize that I am now going for a walk after dinner tonight. At least it isn't raining, but they are speaking of the possibility of snow early morning.

Daisy, I am sure you will find a way to work this and other favorite foods into your food choices. Even if it does not work now you may find that a year or so down the road you are able to handle the smalller portion size and the number of grams of carbohydrate.

Let us know what you tried and how it worked.

Dianne

Hey, I never thought about having an open-face.  Pretty neat!  I think I'll try half of an open-face and see.  Thanks!

Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,100
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

maplesyrup wrote:

billsreef wrote:

grannyred wrote:

Well Bill, that sounds like a plan for you. But I do wonder if you have ever considered the jam alternative to jelly.

For me jelly is just a thinly flavored sugar. Jam on the other hand is full of flavor and gives you a little something to chomp on :smileyvery-happy: just sayin' that a little jam goes a long way towards satisfaction for me.

But looking at it from your point of view, perhaps I should take up diving. I have two grandsons who keep pointing out that some of the most pristine diving sites are right here on my doorstep on Vancouver Island.

Then I could start to discover the joys of jelly as well as our jellyfish.

Sounds like you are toughing it out with your new job in Florida,

Dianne

Yeah, I do prefer jam to jelly. I just tend to put it on real thick. The bread and peanut butter is just the excuse to have the jam or jelly :smileytongue:

I've heard diving up your way is supposed to be good, just cold :smileysurprised: Yes, I'm toughing it out down here. It's amazingly tough to go diving in 75F water in the middle of Febuary :smileyvery-happy:

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,644
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I'll sometimes have a slice of bread with peanut butter, but generally try to avoid pbj sandwiches.

But every once in a while I make one if I am out of other sandwich ingredients and am going on a long hike and need to take lunch.

A serving (2TBS) of natural peanut butter is 6 grams  of carbs , of which 2grams is fiber.

A serving (1 TBS) of the raspberry fruit spread, sweetened with lemon juice,I have on hand right now is 11 grams of carbs.

So together the pb and j is 15 grams.  The bulk of the carbs come from the bread. Mine gets me up to about 43-45 grams of carbs, but if we go open face, it would be under 30.  And if you get some of that lower carb bread, you could do a full sandwich for <30 grams of carbs...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Advisor
stxsheila
Total Posts: 162
Registered on: ‎08-09-2010

I have them all the time when I can't think of anything else to eat. Open face on Aunt Millie's lite bread (10 carbs) loads of peanut butter because history has shown I can indulge and Smuckers grape sugar free Jam or cherry preserves (5 carbs).

Sheila
Diagnosed 9/09 BG 245 A1C of 11.1
Jan '14 A1C 5.9
500md Metformin ER, Glipizide XL 2.5mg
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

Ok Lilmissdaisy, this is my first attempt at offering advice...so here goes (smile!) I get these sort of rice crisp wafers from Wegmans. They're about six in diameter. Only 4 carbs and 16 calories. They're 1/4" thick and a good medium for holding 1 - 2 TB of your fav PB. I also use bananas. But sugar free jam would work since there's only 4g in the disc. It's really good! And of course ymmv but no spikes for me, at night anyhow. Enjoy!!
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Frequent Advisor
LisaMarie528
Total Posts: 246
Registered on: ‎01-12-2012

My apologies if I'm not supposed to mention store names, but this is only place I have seen them. I do not work there. Actually its competition for the hubby.... Sssshhhhhh!
Take Care,
Lisa

Diagnosed Dec 2011, currently managing with diet and exercise
First A1C Dec 2011 was 6.4
Improved to 5.9, Feb 2012
As of May 2012, 5.8
As of August 2012, 5.7
As of Nov 2012, 5.5
As of Feb 2014, 5.4
As of May 2014, 5.9
Treating DM2 with diet and exercise
Meds: Trilipix Omeprazole HCTZ Metoprolol Fish Oil allergy meds and eyedrops for glaucoma (vision fine so far)
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

LisaMarie528 wrote:
My apologies if I'm not supposed to mention store names, but this is only place I have seen them. I do not work there. Actually its competition for the hubby.... Sssshhhhhh!

I did not know that you're not supposed to mention store names...who cares?  You're not promoting anything - just helping out.  Oh, boy!