Super Advisor
parkmama
Total Posts: 423
Registered on: ‎12-01-2012

O/T Anyone heard of Dr. David Brownstein?

[ Edited ]

My daughter texted me from college telling me to check my e-mail.  She had sent me a link to what I think is basically a sales video by Dr. David Brownstein.  I googled him hoping to come up with a QUACK label, but didn't find anything.

I watched the presentation. While I agree with some of his advice, like avoiding sugar and refined carbs, the fact that he is pushing his newsletter and I suspect supplements like iodine, I am very skeptical.  My daughter is a little freaked by his video, since he says that people like me were wrong to do chemo and radiation to kill our cancer.

So, have any of you heard of him and if so, what are your thoughts?

parkmama aka Eileen
Diagnosed Type 2
Sept. 2012 - A1C 7.1, FBG 109
Feb. 2013 -- A1C 6.3, FBG 99
June 2013 --A1C 6.1, FBG 99
Oct. 2013 -- A1C 6.1, FBG 103
Feb 2014 -- A1C 6.1, FBG 105
Started diet and exercise changes Oct. 2012
Added Metformin ER 500mg 1x day June 2013
Increased Metfomin ER 500mg to 2x day Oct. 2013
Super Advisor
ffmaya
Total Posts: 1,322
Registered on: ‎10-29-2011

Re: O/T Anyone heard of Dr. David Brownstein?

parkmama wrote:

My daughter texted me from college telling me to check my e-mail.  She had sent me a link to what I think is basically a sales video by Dr. David Brownstein.  I googled him hoping to come up with a QUACK label, but didn't find anything.

I watched the presentation. While I agree with some of his advice, like avoiding sugar and refined carbs, the fact that he is pushing his newsletter and I suspect supplements like iodine, I am very skeptical.  My daughter is a little freaked by his video, since he says that people like me were wrong to do chemo and radiation to kill our cancer.

So, have any of you heard of him and if so, what are your thoughts?

Eileen, don't worry too much about it.  Whenever someone states that one should not get proper treatment for cancer, they are quacks.  What are you supposed to do, take his supplements or some type of juice to cure cancer, read his books and you'll have all the cures?  

Here is the link to his website:  http://www.drbrownstein.com/

QUACK, QUACK, that's where I would file him.  But then, it's only my opinion.  :smileytongue:

Super Advisor
parkmama

Thanks for the link.  I'm going to look at his website.  My daughter is still texting me, wanting to know why I think he is a Quack.  I told her that you have to be suspicious of any "Dr." who's trying to sell you something.  He pushed his newsletter all throughout the video.  

Thanks for confirming my gut reaction.  

And I know I wouldn't be here today if I had refused chemo. 

parkmama aka Eileen
Diagnosed Type 2
Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,150
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

[ Edited ]

parkmama wrote:

Google "Dr. Brownstein quack" and you'll come up with plenty.  His website is to buy his books and supplements.  I don't have any idea if what he advises works or not, but it seems if it did it wouldn't be such a secret.  I'm guessing that those people who followed his advice not to get chemo or radiation for cancer aren't talking about that or anything else.  I would file this one in the "miracle cure" file.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Frequent Advisor
Lowcarbwalking
Total Posts: 258
Registered on: ‎05-31-2012

Hello ParkMama,
Your post caught my attention.

Since you have already had the chemo, etc what do you think has motivated your daughter to share this information with you now? Do you think she is concerned about a reoccurrence and thinks the iodine treatment could increase your chance of long term survival? What do you think your daughter wants you to do with this information?

Perhaps this might a good time to model critical thinking skills and suggest she do more research for you to find rigourous well designed medical studies that look at iodine and breast cancer to see what if there is independent research supporting this Dr Brownstein. PubMed and Science Daily are two websites she could start with in her search for evidence. Suggest she look at Brownstein's claims and supporting evidence with analytical eyes. How large we're his studies.? How well were variables controlled? Is he primarily a clinician using small anecdotal samples from his own practice? To what extent does he profit from what he claims is a cure? Are his claims mostly theoretical? Are his assertions correlations or proven cause and effect?

Maybe share with her how carefully you have considered all treatment options and how you made and are making decisions that make sense to you and are the best possible.

Maybe your daughter wants reassurance that you are taking recovery and prevention of reoccurrence really seriously. You might remind her of all that you are doing to stay healthy to ensure optimal long term survival.

When I had cancer back when I was 22 years old, it was stage 4 thyroid cancer, and I was told I probably had only had 6-8 weeks to live. One relative who was devastated to hear this traveled hundreds of miles to a clinic in Mexico that claimed to have a cure for advanced cancers of all kinds. She came back with a can of WD40 that she was absolutely convinced would save me because it had been blessed by a Healer who routinely performed miracles. This dear aunt of mine who was college educated insisted on spraying me down with the stuff. It made her feel better.

May you stay strong of spirit and body as you live the journey of your post cancer life.

P

Ruth
T2 Diagnosed Aug 2010 with A1c of 7.7
A1c has been under 6 since Dec 2010.
Last A1c 5.1 in March 2013; fasting bg 72
Low Carb eating & daily walks
Metformin 500mg twice aday
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,323
Topics: 73
High Fives: 799
Solutions: 98
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I took a look at Dr. Brownstein's website home page.  He makes a lot of saying that he practices holistic medicine.  Well, according to merriam-webster.com, holistic means

"relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts <holistic medicine attempts to treat both the mind and the body> "

That definition by itself sounds okay, but what it really seems to mean for Dr. Brownstein is selling his books, DVDs and supplements, retail or wholesale.  He seems quite ready to speak out against a wide range of evidence-based medical practices that conflict with his own approach.

No, thanks.

"Molly"
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Novolog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Super Advisor
parkmama

[ Edited ]

Lowcarbwalking wrote:
Hello ParkMama,
Your post caught my attention.

Since you have already had the chemo, etc what do you think has motivated your daughter to share this information with you now? Do you think she is concerned about a reoccurrence and thinks the iodine treatment could increase your chance of long term survival? What do you think your daughter wants you to do with this information?

Perhaps this might a good time to model critical thinking skills and suggest she do more research for you to find rigourous well designed medical studies that look at iodine and breast cancer to see what if there is independent research supporting this Dr Brownstein. PubMed and Science Daily are two websites she could start with in her search for evidence. Suggest she look at Brownstein's claims and supporting evidence with analytical eyes. How large we're his studies.? How well were variables controlled? Is he primarily a clinician using small anecdotal samples from his own practice? To what extent does he profit from what he claims is a cure? Are his claims mostly theoretical? Are his assertions correlations or proven cause and effect?

Maybe share with her how carefully you have considered all treatment options and how you made and are making decisions that make sense to you and are the best possible.

Maybe your daughter wants reassurance that you are taking recovery and prevention of reoccurrence really seriously. You might remind her of all that you are doing to stay healthy to ensure optimal long term survival.

When I had cancer back when I was 22 years old, it was stage 4 thyroid cancer, and I was told I probably had only had 6-8 weeks to live. One relative who was devastated to hear this traveled hundreds of miles to a clinic in Mexico that claimed to have a cure for advanced cancers of all kinds. She came back with a can of WD40 that she was absolutely convinced would save me because it had been blessed by a Healer who routinely performed miracles. This dear aunt of mine who was college educated insisted on spraying me down with the stuff. It made her feel better.

May you stay strong of spirit and body as you live the journey of your post cancer life.

P

I know 2 things motivated my daughter's concern.  In the video she had me watch, Dr. B stated that if one did chemo, the cancer was sure to return and it would return with a "vengeance".  So my poor daughter, who is still too young to lose her mom, was freaking out that it was going to come back.  (I'm over 9 years out now, and count every day as a blessing).
The second reason is she is afraid she is doomed to get cancer because she has inherited my genes.  My Mom's side of the family is riddled with cancer, my own Mom lost her battle 2-1/2 years ago, so she thinks that she too will get diagnosed with cancer.  I remind her that she takes after her Dad more than me and he is very healthy and from a family with longevity (lots of his relatives live well into there 90's and early 100's).
But you are right, if she is still concerned, I will tell her to investigate this Dr.'s claims. And I will remind her that I do work hard to stay on top of my health.
Glad that you too survived your cancer diagnosis.  And I totally understand your aunt grabbing on to the WD40 cure.  Our loved ones are in the awful position of watching us fight this beast and they feel so helpless.  I also had some well meaning family members passing on advice from quacks that were around 9 years ago.  Some even encouraged me to stop my chemo and take supplements.  Sounds familiar.....
Thanks for all the replies.  I wish you all continued good health! 

parkmama aka Eileen
Diagnosed Type 2
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,413
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

I thought diabetes had the market on quacks until I got cancer.  I've been "advised" by all sorts of odd folks (like the guy who fixed the furnace) about all sorts of special doctors and clinics that have "cured" someone they remotely know via special diets and suppliments.  Of course, as a friend pointed out to me, nobody brags about the number of people they killed with their treatments.  Steve Jobs had the most 'curable' form of pancreatic cancer but decided to pursue alternative medical treatments instead.

As far as cancer (or any other disease) running in the family, it is good to know that there is some genetic disposition to get a particular disease because it gives you a target to watch for.  Early detection and treatment will always give you an edge in battling a disease, and with cancer you need all the edge you can get.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Frequent Responder
Jinkala
Total Posts: 366
Registered on: ‎05-23-2012

parkmama wrote:
In the video she had me watch, Dr. B stated that if one did chemo, the cancer was sure to return and it would return with a "vengeance".  So my poor daughter, who is still too young to lose her mom, was freaking out that it was going to come back.  (I'm over 9 years out now, and count every day as a blessing).

If cancer always returned "with a 'vengeance'" every time someone had chemo, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be one of the primary treatments for cancer by now.  There has been a ton of research and many many studies on cancer treatments and a little thing like "always returning" would have been noticed by now.

Grats on being 9 years cancer free.  Being less than a year cancer free myself, it's always so great to hear about long term cancer free people.  :smileyhappy:

dx diabetes type 2 May 2012 age 47
Metformin 500mg daily
Lisinopril 5mg daily
Simvastatin 20mg daily
Weight 3/15/12 260 - 7/5/12 228 - 7/24/12 225 - 1/25/13 209
A1C 5/17/12 7.3
A1C 7/5/12 6.3
Katherine_Rose
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-05-2013

With more money than Fort Knox - and over half a century of research and practical application - neither the medical community nor the American Cancer Society has been able to come up with anything better than chemotherapy (which is some serious poison) and radiation (literal burning). MORE people are dying from cancer than ever - not less! Doesn't that tell you something? Doesn't that make you wonder?

I've had cancer. I had surgery, but since my lifestyle, weight and diet has not changed, I know I'm a ticking time bomb. I will NOT get chemo or radiation if cancer returns! I read the stats on that, and I remember how fast my mother depreciated and died after getting surgery and chemo. I am going to start consuming apricot pits and drinking baking soda. (I suggest you start by googling apricots and cancer).

Brownstein knows what he's talking about. (And by the way, what is wrong with him selling his information when other doctors are charging a hell of a lot more for theirs! Doesn't he have a right to income?) Everything he speaks of - the nutrient deficiencies, the metals, the environmental toxins, sugar, aspartame, etc., is true! I've been reading about these hazards for years and it's far more logical than what the medical community is feeding us. Not only that, but there are many, many success stories from people who have chosen to follow holistic measures instead of taking poison and burning their body parts! I feel sorry for the folks here who are so quick to dismiss Brownstein and holistic health, when Big Bu$iness Cancer is raking in billions of dollars and getting nowhere - while millions of people die! Besides, if one is already in remission, then it can't hurt to try holistic methods for preventing a recurrence.