Occasional Responder
cthulhusaves
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎06-20-2012

Numb, swollen feet

Hi,

I've got the diabetic "foot problem," with numb, swollen feet, etc. Been diabetic now for a little over a year, and the problem has generally been mild up 'til now. Usually I wake up with pain, as if the blood wasn't getting to my feet while I slept, but it mostly wears off after I get up and start moving around. However, the last few days have got me in a panic. The numbness and pain isn't going away, and is getting worse, fast. So fast that I'm honestly terrified right now, and remembering all the horror stories of people having to have their feet amputated.

I should point out that I became diabetic due to severe obesity, and although I've lost a hundred pounds so far I've still got a couple hundred to go (down to 418 from 539 --I'm a big guy anyway, and was thin at 230). My dietician told me to eat 1700 calories a day to "safely" lose the weight, and at my size that's working great. But now I'm worried sick that I won't have any feet by the time I'm thin enough to get back out and do anything with them. Doc can't see me until tomorrow, but I would very much like to know if there's anything that exists that could help diminish the swelling, increase the circulation to my feet and avoid (further?) nerve damage, be it meds or otherwise. I've been under the assumption that once I got back down to a normal, healthy weight range that the circulation problem in my feet would correct itself, or at least not be severe or threatening, but if I can't find a way to fight the problem now that's going to be a moot point.

Is there anything out there that the doc might be able to prescribe or do? I don't often actually get scared, but man, I sure am right now.

Appreciate any comments.

Advisor
kyfroggie
Total Posts: 273
Registered on: ‎11-23-2009

Re: Numb, swollen feet

[ Edited ]

It is good that you are seeing your doctor tomorrow. Try not to worry - the stress will just raise your blood sugar! Good blood glucose control is the most important tool to help improve (and often reverse) the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy. Many people take ALA (alpha lipoic acid) to improve the neuropathy. This is available over the counter. Neither of these is going to improve your problem over night. Amputation is unlikely if you do not have an infection on your foot. Have you examined your feet (or have someone else do so)? How are your blood sugars running? Don't take this problem lightly but try not to worry too much before you see the doctor tomorrow.

Good luck,

Carol

Frequent Responder
Terina514
Total Posts: 51
Registered on: ‎06-09-2012

Like Carol said try not to worry.  If you don't get an answer you're satified with, you might want to make an appointment with a podiatrist, they are trained in foot problems.  My GP referred me to one as part of my diabetes health care team.  It's your health, take charge of it :smileywink:, I learned the hard way!

mollythed
Total Posts: 5,900
Topics: 75
High Fives: 1,044
Solutions: 115
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

While you are waiting, think about this:

Have you ever in the past had your foot fall asleep because you  were sitting in a position that cut off circulation?  Have you ever been to the dentist and had novocaine for a filling?  What happens when you move your leg to a better position?  What happens when the anesthetic wears off?

Yup, it stings or itches or buzzes like crazy for a little while!

Sometimes those crazy feeling are nothing to worry about, because they are a sign that things are getting better and feeling is being restored.

I can't promise you that is what is happening to you, but I can tell you it happens to some of us.  Just for now, at least until you see the doctor, focus on the idea that it may be a good sign and not a problem.  Now take a deep breath. 

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Hi Ct, and welcome to the board!

First of all I agree with Molly's take on the pain and numbness you are feeling. It may well be that as your blood sugar comes down your nerves are waking up.

Discuss this with your doctor and ask him if support hose would relieve the swelling, particularly if there is swelling in the lower leg.

These elasticised stocking or knee socks help the circulation in the legs. They do take some strain off the heart as well in that the constriction does help the heart pump the blood back up to your lungs and heart.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

CthulhuSaves wrote:

Hi,

I've got the diabetic "foot problem," with numb, swollen feet, etc. Been diabetic now for a little over a year, and the problem has generally been mild up 'til now. Usually I wake up with pain, as if the blood wasn't getting to my feet while I slept, but it mostly wears off after I get up and start moving around. However, the last few days have got me in a panic. The numbness and pain isn't going away, and is getting worse, fast. So fast that I'm honestly terrified right now, and remembering all the horror stories of people having to have their feet amputated.

I should point out that I became diabetic due to severe obesity, and although I've lost a hundred pounds so far I've still got a couple hundred to go (down to 418 from 539 --I'm a big guy anyway, and was thin at 230). My dietician told me to eat 1700 calories a day to "safely" lose the weight, and at my size that's working great. But now I'm worried sick that I won't have any feet by the time I'm thin enough to get back out and do anything with them. Doc can't see me until tomorrow, but I would very much like to know if there's anything that exists that could help diminish the swelling, increase the circulation to my feet and avoid (further?) nerve damage, be it meds or otherwise. I've been under the assumption that once I got back down to a normal, healthy weight range that the circulation problem in my feet would correct itself, or at least not be severe or threatening, but if I can't find a way to fight the problem now that's going to be a moot point.

Is there anything out there that the doc might be able to prescribe or do? I don't often actually get scared, but man, I sure am right now.

Appreciate any comments.

G'day and welcome.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far.

I'll wait to hear what the doctor said before commenting. It would help us offer suggestions if you give us a little more info on your diabetes, the numbers you see when you test and the regimen you follow to manage it. That isn't just meds but also any exercise and your specific diet in terms of carbs, not calories.

I know you aren't brand new, but this will give you some idea of why I am interested in that information: Getting Started

Please let us know what the doc says.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Several years ago my feet started swelling and turning reddish. I spent a lot of my time laying on the sofa with my legs elevated. It took a couple of years and many thousands of dollars in tests before one smart doctor spent 5 cents by sticking me with a lancet and putting the drop of blood into a glucometer and diagnosing diabetes. A strict low carb, ketotic diet brought me from 225 to 152 pounds in six months. As the bg numbers and weight improved my feet improved with them. They still tingle and burn when they get warm and blister easily but otherwise they are normal feet again. There is an excellent chance you can do this too.

Nowhere did you mention your bg numbers which can be the primary driver of both obesity and diabetes. The fact you don't mention it concerns me.

Can't hurt to limit salt while you're limiting carbs. Salt in and of itself can cause water retention which can cause or exacerbate swelling which in turn can make an existing problem worse.

As previously mentioned by others many have reversed neuropathy symptoms with low bg numbers, Alpha Lipoic Acid, and liquid vitamin B12.

Dr. Richard Bernstein essentially invented blood glucose monitoring. His books such as 'Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution' are essentially a crash course in control.

Bernstein books

Congratulations on your progress thus far and wishing you the best.

Frequent Responder
Jinkala
Total Posts: 366
Registered on: ‎05-23-2012

I would suggest elevating your feet.

Before I got diagnosed, I had occasional problems with feet swelling (no numbness) and lying down with my feet up on some pillows and also drinking more fluids seemed to help.  I haven't had any issues like that since I got diagnosed though.

dx diabetes type 2 May 2012 age 47
Metformin 500mg daily
Lisinopril 5mg daily
Simvastatin 20mg daily
Weight 3/15/12 260 - 7/5/12 228 - 7/24/12 225 - 1/25/13 209
A1C 5/17/12 7.3
A1C 7/5/12 6.3
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,544
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

CthulhuSaves, I think the others have covered anything I might say aboutyour feet, other than to wish youluck. Let us know what the doctor says. And even though I have never read HP Lovecraft, I found this hysterically funny--and hope that you do too. Either that or you might think it sacriligeous...

Bet you didn't expect this response...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Responder
selwynfirth
Total Posts: 16
Registered on: ‎06-20-2012

Poor circulation may be the cause of your numbness. I run a lot and about 20 years ago I started getting numbness in the soles of both feet after running about a mile. it would go away when i rested and return as I ran. I just put it down to diabetic neuropathy and forgot about it. Later I noticed it would occur when I went hiking for more than 4 miles.  I started taking Vit B3 (also know as Niacin)  500 mg every 12 hrs in Jan 2011 and my numbness has dissapeared and my oxygenation in my toes is almost normal. I would suggest that your size may be reducing the blood flow to your feet and the nerves are falling asleep because of it.  I have posted about a circulation booster called a Venowave and it might help you but several people here think I am spammy. Look it up on Google and make your own assessment . Weight loss is good and very important. My mother started losing weight by keeping her Blood surgas around  140. She stopped getting hungry and the weight just went. She was able to drop 60 lbs in 6 months.

She was on insulin and it was easier to adjust her BS by injection.  Speak to your dietician about such a program.

Selwyn Firth