Long Lost Member
tschuh22
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎07-09-2010

Non-Diabetic with high blood sugar in the morning

I am not a diabetic. However, this morning when I got up my sugar was over 400. Now, I will say that I did have a large amount of sweets last night before bed for a birthday party. I usually check my blood sugar because my doctor was concerned I might be hypoglocemic (SP?). Previously, my sugar has never been high than 250. This is the first time its been this high...what can I do to lower the level....and is it neccessary to rush the doctor for a one time reading?
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Welcome!

Hypoglycemia causes low numbers not the high ones you have had but I am no expert on it by any means. I guess you body could be compensating for a low but still 400 is a high number.

Did you wash your hands between eating the sweets and testing? Sugar on your hands could impact on the reading.

I would be worried I had diabetes if I was seeing numbers like 250 and 400. Have you been tested for diabetes? What are your normal morning numbers without the sweets?

It is usually not recommneded to exercise if you see such a high number.
Frequent Responder
cactus8
Total Posts: 1,181
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

If you meant you have hyperglycemia then yes that can lead to higher numbers and you should be watching out for the impacts high numbers can have on your health. I would still want to check / rule out diabetes and I would stay away from sweets at bedtime if they lead to a 400 in the morning. Perhaps consider a seconfd opinion form another doctor as well.

Super Advisor
Janet754
Total Posts: 1,723
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Sorry to disagree with you but that number is definitely not hypogylcemia. My husband has hypo and I am diabetic. And yet in the 3 years since my diagnosis I have never seen a number of 400. My highest was 280 at diagnosis. I do go as high as 180 (on rare occasions) after meals. When my husband gets sicks or overworked or the heat gets to him his number never goes above 100. I would get more testing done ASAP. 400 is a number the people on these boards say to go to the ER. That could be dangerous. Next time you get that number call your doctor and see what he/she says. Good luck to you.
Janet (born on the 4th of July)
Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461

Tammy Schuh (7/9/2010)
I am not a diabetic.

Are you sure about that?
Established Advisor
juliam1969
Total Posts: 1,815

Im pretty sure a BG of 250 and 400 means you are diabetic. Make an appointment with your doctor and get tested right away. Numbers that high will cause a lot of damage. Are you testing before and 1 and 2 hours after meals? What do those numbers look like?

Often people who suffer from hypoglycemia turn into a diabetic after a few years. Thats what happened to me too. Something is definately wrong here, get it checked!!

Julia
Julia
I have been diabetic since my teens, type 2. I produce no insulin of my own so I take Lantus and Humalog daily.
I have several severe diabetes related complications, Gastroparesis, peripheral neuropathy of both arms and legs, autonomic neuropathy involving internal organs and blood vessels, kidney damage, HTN, vision issues. I also have COPD and severe Asthma. I am a uterine cancer survivor and had a TAH BSO at 35. I have had genetic blood work done that shows my neuropathy issues are hereditary and would of occurred even without diabetes. I also have very severe depression and anxiety. When not on my "mental health meds" I am not a very nice person and am good at alienating everyone around me including myself.
(anon)
Total Posts: 0

Tammy Schuh (7/9/2010)
I am not a diabetic. However, this morning when I got up my sugar was over 400. Now, I will say that I did have a large amount of sweets last night before bed for a birthday party. I usually check my blood sugar because my doctor was concerned I might be hypoglocemic (SP?). Previously, my sugar has never been high than 250. This is the first time its been this high...what can I do to lower the level....and is it neccessary to rush the doctor for a one time reading?

There are four different ways to diagnose a person with diabetes. The first three are a fasting blood glucose level of 126 or higher. The second is blood glucose level of 200 or higher two hours into a glucose tolerance test. Third is an A1C test result of 6.5 or higher. Finally, a "casual" reading of 200 or higher, without regard to when you last ate means diabetes.

By two out of those four, you have diabetes. There is one catch, though. They all depend on lab tests, not a home meter, and it has to be repeated on a second day. It's not that the home meter measures anything different; it's just that they are not considered accurate enough.

The first thing I do when I get a number that seems out of range is wash my hands and test again. I also consider whether anything has happened that makes the test unreliable, like leaving test strips uncovered, or exposed to temperature extremes, or just plain being out of date. Taking steroids could also cause temporary readings.

One test could be a fluke, but please continue to test today an hour or two after you eat. If you were already diagnosed, and you had a reading that high, we would be telling you to call your doctor right now. I'm thinking that's the best course of action for you too. Nobody with normal metabolism has numbers like that.
Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461

mollythed (7/9/2010)
Finally, a "casual" reading of 200 or higher, without regard to when you last ate means diabetes.

It's not just a casual reading of 200+, there is a bolt on needed for diagnosis. The reading needs to be accompanied by typical symptoms of diabetes like increased urination, increased thirst, unexplained weight loss, fatigue, blurred vision and sores/wounds that don't heal. As far as I know this alone can't be used to diagnose but when this is applicable a single fasting test or OGTT can be used.
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,462
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Tammy Schuh (7/9/2010)

I suggest that you phone for an appointment with doctor if blood sugar is not falling within THESE ranges. You may need a new doctor if he thinks it's "only" hypoglycemia. Either way, "a large amount of sweets" at any time is not a good idea. Unless you're going to be doing a marathon or something to boost metabolism and absorb the excess blood glucose. Even then, marathoners usually space the carbs out rather than having a large amount at once. I hope you have made an appointment with your doctor today. And that he knows how to test for diabetes. Your numbers are seriously high.
Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Tammy Schuh (7/9/2010)

G'day, and welcome.

I'm sorry, but when you go and see a competent doctor for proper diagnostic testing you are extremely likely to be told that your opening statement is untrue.

You ARE a diabetic.

I'm not just basing that statement on the 400 fasting reading but also on this:

Previously, my sugar has never been high than 250.

The diagnostic criteria for type 2 diabetes includes:

1. Symptoms of diabetes plus casual plasma glucose concentration ?200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/l). Casual is defined as any time of day without regard to time since last meal. The classic symptoms of diabetes include polyuria, polydipsia, and unexplained weight loss.

Please see a doctor, then come back. We can help with some suggestions on what to do next. In the meantime this may help (click on the coloured text): Getting Started.
Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)