Long Lost Member
adamsls
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-23-2010

No Stick Blood Sugar Monitor

I saw a commercial this weekend for the 1st time about a New no stick blood sugar monitor about the size of a blackberry phone. I'd like to research a little about this and see if there's much feedback out yet from the 1st users, but I can't remember the name of the meter other than it was a short name that started with "A" (I think). It looked to have a touch screen, though I may be wrong since it was a quick commercial.

Can anyone tell me the name of this new no stick meter?

If you have one and use it, your input on accuracy, ease of use and any maintenance cost would be appreicated. Maintenance as in if it's rechargable, what's the expected battery life and cost of a replacement battery.

Long Lost Member
carol1980
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎03-31-2011

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful
Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Are you sure it was "no stick" and not "no fingerstick?" As far as I know there is no "traditional" meter on the market, or coming to the market anytime soon, that doesn't require some sort of blood draw. There are continuous meters that work by having a small sensor wire inserted under the skin that transmits back to a base but they are not as accurate as regular meters and are very expensive to buy and run, plus you still need to do regular blood sugar checks for calibration, when you have symptoms of low/high blood sugar or if you are using the result to dose insulin. There are lots of devices in the works, watches, contact lenses, tattoos and others but none are on the market yet and most probably never will be.

Edit: Off the top of my head I have seen commercials for the Accu-chek Aviva recently. That can use alternative testing sites but still needs a blood sample. Can't think of any other names that are short starting with A.
Long Lost Member
adamsls
Total Posts: 2
Registered on: ‎08-23-2010

I'll have to keep my eyes open and see if I come across it again. I want to say something like "Avessia or Avesta", but found nothing under that so far, so that's not right.

It was a "Sales Rep" type commercial, with a guy standing there speaking about being the first monitor with the latest technology and with no more painful blood draws to manage your diabetes and call your insurance company today if you have diabetes and you're interested in receiving _______(can't remember the name). The device was square, palm size and looked like a blackberry with a large screen he kept putting his finger to. He said it comes with a usb cable to track you're results. It wasn't contoured like the Accu Check device and it wasn't one of those "these are paid actors" commercials. It was quick & lasted like 30 seconds.

I'll keep looking ... just wondering if anyone else may have seen it.
Frequent Responder
59irish
Total Posts: 235
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

Contributor
kdroberts
Total Posts: 461

OK, it's a commercial designed to do exactly what it did to you, make people think they will not have to draw blood to test with. In reality it means that you don't have to use your fingers, you are able to get blood from other places like your arms and palm for instance. Most meters have this functionality. The meter you saw may be the Bayer Ascensia, I think it's been renamed as the Breeze2 not too long ago but a lot of the medical supply company use branded meters that are based off the Wavesense Presto. I'm afraid that the bloodless glucose meter is just a dream right now.
Long Lost Member
scifichick80
Total Posts: 90
Registered on: ‎08-18-2010

I have an Embrace that looks like an iPod or iPhone that says it can use 'alternative' testing sites in the directions......could it have been a commercial for that? I call it my iPoke now. Maybe Apple will come out with one and put the Glycemic index and info right at our fingertips as we test!!! and it has an option about linking to my PC...but probably not this one..I think its a known meter (new at this) but it looks cool LOL
Advisor
Brenda8859
Total Posts: 1,770

I don't see how even APPLE could tell you your BS# without a drop of blood. It just doesn't make sense to me; but then again,,,,,,,,,I still don't understand how a plane flies thousands of miles without falling down !
"Life is a classroom.  We are both student and teacher.  Each day  is a test and each day we receive a passing or failing grade in one particular subject:  GRACE".
Frequent Responder
59irish
Total Posts: 235
Registered on: ‎11-07-2009

The sensor is placed on the back of your upper arm or your abdomen, and is held there with a special adhesive.

A tiny filament 5mm long�as thin as several strands of hair�goes just under the skin. It measures the glucose level in the interstitial fluid, which flows between the cells, and it�s similar to measuring the blood glucose level.*

whatever that means sounds kinda nice
Long Lost Member
scifichick80
Total Posts: 90
Registered on: ‎08-18-2010

So insteaead of poking we have to stick something right under our skin?! ouch LOL