Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Neuropathy

mikeyboni wrote:

btw here's my blood glucose reading for today:

at 11am (before meal) 89

at 2pm (after 12pm lunch) 115

G'day

It's a bit hard to tell whether or not lunch was a problem. If that 115 was at your peak, then lunch was excellent. But if your peak was earlier it may also have been higher. The pre-meal number was quite normal.

Please consider doing some extra testing to find out when you may be peaking. That will be a bit variable, so look for your most consistent timing. It may also be slightly different for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I give some more details here: When To Test

This may also help with a systematic technique for using your meter: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,040
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,592
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

carlking2 wrote:
{snip}

I came to this site, and learned everything I could about control of my BG, and read with interest the various testimonies of individuals here (especially Morris) who had actually reversed or stayed the damage done by neuropathy.  The most common thread in these testimonies was to control you BG in as normal a fashion as possible, and to use the supplement ALA.  This in and of itself gave me hope.  Over the period of six months my feet stayed basically the same, but in the sixth month I began to notice more tingles, and more pain.  I feared that despite the great control of my BG and very good A1c’s the nerve damage in my feet was progressing.

One morning about three weeks ago I got up and was preparing to leave the house and slipped on my shoes.  I was struck by the sudden realization that for the FIRST time in years I could feel my feet in my shoes.  I could feel my toes within the shoes, and I could feel the leather boundaries of the shoes around them.  I know the return of feeling was probably gradual but this was the first time I noticed it, and I felt like a child again.  I have also noticed that I can now feel coldness within my feet.  I now know that the nerve damage done has somehow reversed itself, and I am thankful for that.

You can take what you will from my testimony; I can’t point you to a study that says with definitive results that if you do A, B and C you can reverse the damage done, but If you take anything from my experience you can certainly take some hope.  It is my belief that tight BG control in conjunction with taking the supplement ALA has lead me to my successful outcome, and as always YMMV.

Thanks Rick

I felt that section was worth repeating as a message of hope for all. Bookmarked.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

One thng to remember is that while diabetes is one cause of neuropathy it is not the only cause. If your numbers are close to normal and you are still having symptoms, consider other causes as well such as low vitamin b levels, especially B12 or even food intolerances or allergies. Have your B levels checked out to rule out low B12 or other off kilter B levels as a contributor to your symptoms as well. Two major contributors for me were low B12 levels and a not so nice corn allergy. ( I don't eat corn) I think if you are having symptoms you might want to consider other contributors to your symptoms as well. Either way, I hope your symptoms disappear soon.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,724
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Thanks you all (Dianne, Morris and Alan) for your kind comments regarding my post.  I do hope is was helpful to the OP as well.  I tend to stay away from posts that I feel my get "touchy, feely, huggy", because most often what I offer is not what the poster wants.  I more of a direct to the point and technical type of person, but I did feel compelled to relate my story to the OP, because I sensed he was looking for something besides links to products he could purchase, or studies he could read.

I will do as suggested and save a copy of my post fix the grammatical errors, and repost it when necessary.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4