Occasional Responder
jtaime2
Total Posts: 16
Registered on: ‎01-19-2013

Net carbs vs total carbs...which one do we count?

I'm confused.  Which do we count and on labels its only total carbs.

Super Advisor
Jpg391
Total Posts: 5,384
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Net carbs vs total carbs...which one do we count?

jtaime2 wrote:

I'm confused.  Which do we count and on labels its only total carbs.

You should count the total carbs. Since sugar is a carb, it is included in total carb count. There should be a break down of what type carbs that are included, just below the total carb amount.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Advisor
Tapestry312
Total Posts: 293
Registered on: ‎03-24-2013

It was my understanding that you don't count grams of fiber.  As grams of fiber are included in the total carb count, you subtract them from the total carbs to get the net carb count.

Tap

Type 1 Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA)
Husband Type 2
Occasional Responder
jtaime2
Total Posts: 16
Registered on: ‎01-19-2013

Oh good...that's the way I have been doing it.  Thanks

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,232
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Tapestry312 wrote:

It was my understanding that you don't count grams of fiber.  As grams of fiber are included in the total carb count, you subtract them from the total carbs to get the net carb count.

Tap

We are all different.  Some of us find that net carbs is a good measure, some of us find that total carbs is a better measure.  I am one who finds total carbs are the better measure - a meal with 15  total carbs but only 5 net carbs seems to make my blood glucose go up about as much as a meal with 15 total carbs and 15 net carbs.  Your meter will tell you which one to use.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 7,930
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

I use the total carb amount.  I follow the ADA advice here:  http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-dietitian/arc...

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
04/30/2014 - A1c 5.5
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
Blood Pressure 02/2014 - 106/54 (too low, medication cut to maintenance dose)
Blood Pressure 04/29/2014 - 110/65
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,830
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Tapestry312 wrote:

Tap

That's not entirely true.  It's very complicated so I don't subtract any:smileyfrustrated::  click here.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
bentredrider
Total Posts: 1,294
Registered on: ‎11-05-2012

George_M wrote:

Tapestry312 wrote:

Tap

We are all different.  Some of us find that net carbs is a good measure, some of us find that total carbs is a better measure.  I am one who finds total carbs are the better measure - a meal with 15  total carbs but only 5 net carbs seems to make my blood glucose go up about as much as a meal with 15 total carbs and 15 net carbs.  Your meter will tell you which one to use.

George, how odd.....  if the fibre is undigestible...  hwo does it contribute to bG rise....   we should "lab rat" you and see if we really know your 1
I:C ration is.....   Not only does the fibre not contribute to most folks bG rise, but in larger amounts lowers glycemic index and even sometimes overall carb gram effect.....   it's so individualized isn't it?

Best, to you
first dx T2 in 2008 oral meds didn't work, injected Victoza worked for months
bG went extremely high and I started injecting insulin at urgent care
2nd Dx as T1 IDDM or T1.5 IDDM 8-13
got Dexcom CGM
Now using Tslim pump, diligence and Novalog
to achieve tight control, to keep my job and life
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,581
Topics: 74
High Fives: 870
Solutions: 104
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

"Net carbs" is a marketing term used to promote a product. It doesn't have a strict scientific definition. The total carbs on the nutrition label has to be your starting point. The carbs listed there are further broken out into sugar, fiber, and sugar alcohol, and then the leftover portion is the starchy carbs. One exception to that is

Now, it's true that not all carbs raise blood glucose.  Most noteably, our bodies can't break down fiber into glucose.  Still, the bacteria in our bodies can and do break some types of fiber down into components they can digest, and we may also get some energy from those components. The "official" rules are that when there are more than five grams of fiber, you can ignore half the fiber. I have no idea why you need to have five grams of fiber before you apply that rule. I suspect it's just to simplify the math, on the theory that one or two grams of fiber here and there are't worth worrying about  :smileyhappy:

The other carb we don't digest very well is sugar alcohol. There are a variety of different kinds, and while we can hardly digest some of them, there are others where we may be able to slowly digest a fairly large percentage of them. Once again the rules suggest that we can ignore half the sugar alcohol carbs, but of course the real world results depend on what kind of sugar alcohol we are talking about.

If we are just talking about a few grams of fiber or sugar alcohol, it probably doesn't matter much how you are counting. If it is something like Dreamfield's pasta, where the addition of inulin fiber to the wheat flour drops the carbs in a serving of pasta from 42 grams to only 5 grams of net carbs according to the manufacturer, it becomes well worth your while to test before and after you eat, to see how the fiber affects YOU, rather than just going by a rule.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Responder
rainswolf17
Total Posts: 80
Registered on: ‎05-31-2013

Do regular grocery stores have Dreamfield? Where in the store would one find it? (regular pasta aisle? health food aisle?)