Occasional Responder
Noodles13
Total Posts: 8
Registered on: ‎03-30-2012

Need your input

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosis on 1/20/12 for type 2.  A1C 8.9  Cholesterol 227  Vitamin D 11  BP normal and liver and kidneys normal.  So luckily no organ damage so far.  I figure I've had this for years in that I hadn't gone to the doctor in over 25 years!  Yeah I know, dumb.  My usual day of eating would be no breakfast, something fatty and greasy from the cafeteria (teacher by trade)  and then fried shrimp, BBQ pork, chips and a slice of cake for dinner and dessert.   My dinner would vary but usually was VERY carb loaded and followed by chips, ice cream, or cake.  I never seemed to get full.  I'm 53, in menopause, 5'2 and weighed at that time 243 so very fat.  Never exercised either.  So I get the type 2 diagnosis and tell my doctor I want 6 months to change things on my own and she agrees.  I was getting my FBG down to 130 or less and throughout the day it stayed under 180.  I got my weight down to 219.  I did spend a short time eating too few calories (650-750) and then found I couldn't lose anymore.  I upped my calories to 1100 and started to lose again after a few weeks.  Two weeks ago I found the book "Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress.  I read it, joined her website and have been following the plan perfectly for 14 days.  My FBG is now between 150-170!!!!  I had told Diane through her website that I was not taking meds and she said it could take the entire 8 weeks of stage 1 for my numbers to go to normal and the science was explained in the book as to why.. and that she felt I could probably do it without meds.  She also said I might not lose any weight over the 8 weeks because for every point drop in your A1C you usually gain 5 pounds but on her program I would not gain.. and I haven't.  When I emailed her my concerns about the higher FBG she told me to change my Lantus in the morning???  I had told her in previous emails I was NOT on meds.  This concerned me.  Does her plan work or is it just another money making scheme?  Have any of you tried her Metabolism Miracle or Diabetes Miracle plans?  I feel cheated.  I have read on this website and others that the diabetes journey can be a frustrating one and that each person needs to do their own research and test, test, test and find what works for you.  I really want to NOT be on meds and do this on my own.  I am walking 35 minutes a day and using my Bowflex for 10 minutes daily.  I drink lots of water, green tea, taking vitamins including 50,000 vitamin D weekly prescribed by my doctor.  So... can I do this "naturally"?  Have any of you started where I'm starting from and been successful without meds?  Has anyone followed Diane Kress' plan?  What about living an Atkins lifestyle.. which hers is close to.. is that better?  I know that for every 10-15 pounds lost it's supposed to help blood sugar readings.  I would love any advice anyone can offer.  In the 9 weeks since diagnosis this has been highly frustrating but I am determined to get my health in order... finally!  Thanks everyone!!

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Need your input

Hi Noodles,

I think you are going to have to make your own eating plan.

Take a little of what works from this Diane Kress plan. (If you are paying money for it I would suggest you stop doing that)

Get a book from the library and check out Atkins ideas and recipes.

Read lots on this board and ask questions here.

These are early days for you and if at all possible go to a Diabetes Education Class. You will likely get some good one on one info there re food choices and exercise and meds that can be helpful.

Put all that info together and test as you go and you will likely come up with a new healthier lifestyle that works for you and that will be one that you can maintain.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi Noodles, welcome.

We are familiar with that book and have discussed it recently.  Rick, a member, bought a copy but hasn't given us his final word about it yet.

I AM concerned that she tried to give you advise about a medication(even though you aren't taking one) because she is not a doctor and doesn't know anything really about your medical history other than what you told her!

From what I've read, some of her suggestions counter the advise we give here, for free!  Remember however she is trying to sell a book.

Each person is different, and IMO each must find their own path to diabetes and weight control.  It takes some work, especially at the beginning.  But do you really want a plan that is for a "group" or a plan that is specifically for you?

You can start by reading the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs.  There are also many other posts in my "Newly Diagnosed" section that you will find of interest and will help you.

Instead of looking for a plan with someone else's name, why not develop the "Noodles" plan just for you?

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Occasional Responder
Noodles13

Maplesyrup and Lizzylou,

Thanks to you both for the quick responses.  Believe me when Diane Kress suggested I change my LANTUS when I had told her I wasn't taking ANY meds it through me for a loop!  Obviously she doesn't read the emails carefully, nor does she really care beyond the mighty buck about people who write to her.  You are SO RIGHT... I need to come up with my own plan based a little of this and a little of that - that will work for me.  I am early into this as my family keeps reminding me :smileyhappy: Only 9 weeks.  I will NOT be spending any more money on someone else's GROUP PLan because it is an individual journey and no ones body works the same way.  I will spend the next few days reading through the posts here and the sites you (Lizzylou) sent me.  I feel in my heart, based on what's happened in these 9 weeks that carbs are my enemy for now and maybe forever.  I will need to get the good carbs through veggies and limited cheese.  I have not been a big veggie eater in my lifetime but I bought a Vitamix and can ground it up into a smoothie with flavored water and ice and get it down easily.  I will post my progress and look for continued advice on this site from people who are going through this too.  I knew when I bought her book that I may be buying into a money making scheme but I tend to be trusting, and I guess I've been easy prey because I want to find what works and get healthy for the first time in my life.  Thanks again, and keep the advice and your own journey histories coming because they inspire me!!

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

I guess I've been easy prey because I want to find what works and get healthy for the first time in my life.  

You might want to read this post I did a few days ago:  click on the title

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Adults-Living-with-Type-2/Different-Methods-and-New-Ideas/m-p/20413...

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,724
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

Hello there!  I am the Rick who bought Diane's book.  The Diabetes Miracle, and I have read it cover to cover.  Well I have the ebook on my Nook:smileyhappy:  I thought I had given a short post about it here, but maybe not.  It is a good plan for those who need structure.  It separates us into two distinctly different types Met A and Met B, and it has three phases of the program. Quite frankly it simply removes the carbs in phase one, and uses food lists (low carb).  It then adds carbs back in as you progress in weight loss and BG control.  It has sections that deal with exercise also.

Really there is nothing new in the book....It is the same stuff we present here packaged a little different, but it has a very structured approach which some people need.  If you are having good results with it, AND you feel you can stick with the program, then by all means continue.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4

Lipids TC 203, LDL 110, VLDL 20, Triglycerides 100, HDL 73
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Super Advisor
carlking2

noodles13 wrote:

I really want to NOT be on meds and do this on my own.  I am walking 35 minutes a day and using my Bowflex for 10 minutes daily.  I drink lots of water, green tea, taking vitamins including 50,000 vitamin D weekly prescribed by my doctor.  So... can I do this "naturally"?  Have any of you started where I'm starting from and been successful without meds?  Has anyone followed Diane Kress' plan?  What about living an Atkins lifestyle.. which hers is close to.. is that better?  I know that for every 10-15 pounds lost it's supposed to help blood sugar readings.  I would love any advice anyone can offer.  In the 9 weeks since diagnosis this has been highly frustrating but I am determined to get my health in order... finally!  Thanks everyone!!

I don't follow Dianes Plan, but there really is nothing wrong with it.  She should not tell you to change any medications or recommend doing anything with medications.  She is a T2 diabetic, and a CDE and a RD, but you should NEVER rely on one for that kind of advice. 

Neither her plan or Atkins is best...they are really low carb eating plans.  Dr Atkins was the father of the low carb lifestyle, but there are many others out there, and yes you can be successful on these plans.  I have followed a low carb approach for BG control and weight loss for around a year now and have lost 102 pounds.  Recently based upon my conscience and the information in Diane's book I added cardio exercise in addition to walking, and I feel so much better, and the weight loss has accelerated.  You do need to remember that calories do matter...

As far as Meds go...I have been on them since day one of diagnosis, BUT you will notice from my sig that I now NO LONGER use the lantus insulin.  That is a direct result of the low carb BG control approach, and weight loss.  YMMV but your insulin resistance will become less as you lose weight.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4

Lipids TC 203, LDL 110, VLDL 20, Triglycerides 100, HDL 73
Managed by diet and exercise along....former insulin and Metformin user
Occasional Responder
Noodles13

Wow Rick what you've done is AMAZING and inspiring!  102 pounds lost and BG under control AND off the insulin.  Not bad I'd say!!  I think I'll go with the low carb way of eating.  Get veggies 3x daily into my eating plan (none right now:smileysad:  and beef up my exercise to 2-30 minute walk/jog sessions.  Right now at 219 pounds it's been only walking but I know I can handle a walk/jog routine if I work it in slowly and build up my endurance.  Thanks for sharing your own history, it really helps.  And I'm not necessarily knocking Diane... I'm just figuring out that no one "plan" will do it all... I have to take all the information I gather, test/test/test and figure out what works best for me.  Thanks again!!

Frequent Advisor
Abunchofpricks
Total Posts: 145
Registered on: ‎09-02-2011

Hi, Noodles -

One of the best things that I learned on these boards is that the most important thing about controlling your blood glucose is to control it by whatever means necessary.  I applaud your goal of doing this with exercise and diet alone but don't give up on the idea of using medicine if it is going to help you get where you need to goal.  If, after 6 months, you are put on medication, don't look at it as a failure.  Remember that the ultimate goal is to be in control of your diabetes not to be medicine-free.

Weight loss will probably aid in helping control your diabetes so counting calories is important but counting carbs is something you probably want to target even more.  Find out how many carbs you can have at a meal or for a snack without spiking and see if you can get your glucose numbers down that way.  It doesn't have to be an Atkins lifestyle if you aren't going to be able to eat that low carb for the rest of your life.  Find what works for you and what you're comfortable adopting long term.  A lot of people have found that eating the right number of carbs for them helps them lose weight as well.

Diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint.  If you have had it for years, you're not going to necessarily get it under control in a matter of weeks.  Yes, you can do this "naturally."  I'm not currently not taking any medication and am able to keep my A1C in the 5% range so it can be done.  But if, despite my best efforts of watching what I eat and exercising regularly, I see my numbers above where I want them to be, I wouldn't hesitate to go back on medication to help me stay in control.

Good luck on your diabetic adventure and with your goal of reducing your weight and glucose levels naturally!

Matt
Visit my personal blog - ABunchOfPricks.com

Type 2 Diabetic
Diagnosed April 2011

A1C:
4/20/2011 - 11.3
8/1/2011 - 5.5
11/1/2011 - 5.4
1/23/2012 - 5.5
7/19/2012 - 5.6
2/12/2013 - 5.5
10/7/2013 - 5.3
Managing with diet and exercise
Super Advisor
carlking2

I wanted to add a little bit to what Matt said.  When I was first diagnosed with T2 my goal WAS to try and get off all medications.  Over a few months I modified that goal to be "do whatever it takes to avoid diabetic complications", and it it takes medications to reach this goal so be it.  I use what I call the trinity of management..The cornerstone, or as Morris said in another thread the three legged stool.  Diet, Exercise and Medications in combination to accomplish this goal.  We must remember that this is a progressive disease, and medications are not a sign of failure in managing our disease.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3
01/26/2014, A1c 5.5
07/25/2014, A1c 5.4