Visitor
fokkwin
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎10-30-2011

Need some help

Hello all,

I just need some help.  Since I am no longer in the military I cant see my endocronologists until the va sends me to one.  The problem I am having is that my bloodsugar was always running high so they put me on metformin to drop it.  Now, i cant take the meds because when i do my BS drops way low.   Also, i am an avid coffee drinker in the mornings.  I have 3 cups every day.  I use creamer that is not sugar free and have noticed that after my 3rd cup my BS always seems to be around 60-70.  Is there something i should know that i dont concerning sugar intakecausing bs to drop?  Any help will be appreciated. 

alan_s
Total Posts: 13,761
Topics: 190
High Fives: 1,228
Solutions: 141
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Need some help

fokkwin wrote:

Hello all,

I just need some help.  Since I am no longer in the military I cant see my endocronologists until the va sends me to one.  The problem I am having is that my bloodsugar was always running high so they put me on metformin to drop it.  Now, i cant take the meds because when i do my BS drops way low.   Also, i am an avid coffee drinker in the mornings.  I have 3 cups every day.  I use creamer that is not sugar free and have noticed that after my 3rd cup my BS always seems to be around 60-70.  Is there something i should know that i dont concerning sugar intakecausing bs to drop?  Any help will be appreciated.

G'day and welcome.

Metformin should not have that effect at all. Are you on any other medications (not just diabetes meds) or insulin?

The "something you should know" is that your blood glucose levels are dynamic, changing all the time, and are affected by many things. The two most direct are the food you eat and the physical activity you do. Additionally, for diabetics like myself the signalling system is flawed, so I may produce more of my own insulin than I need at a time I don't need it and that will send me low. The most likely trigger for that is an excessive high.

It is probable that your meals  - or drinks - are sending you high and then your body is reacting with excess insulin and sending you low. But that's just a guess without more information. Please read this and consider applying the ideas in it for a few days to see what is happening in your own body (click on it) Test, Test, Test.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Must I test Before Meals Too?)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,699
Topics: 553
High Fives: 1,854
Solutions: 137
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Hi FO, welcome!

How often do you eat and when do you test?  These are important questions that could have the clues to your problems.  What's a typical day like for you?  What do you eat and when, how about exercise?

Yep, I'm nosy. :smileyvery-happy:  The more information I have the better answer I can give.

The links below Testing 101 and All About Carbs will give you more information.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Visitor
fokkwin

[ Edited ]

well, my normal day consist of me sitting around on the computer and playing with the dogs.  i am currently 80% disabled and have a hard time doing anything physical.  i test in the morning when i get up, again around noon and 1 last time about an hour before bed.  i normally dont eat till lunch and sometimes i miss that meal as well. 

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Another welcome to the board fokkwin!

As a diabetic I do my best to keep my blood sugars even. I do this by keeping track of how many carbohydrates I eat, (found in sugars, starches, fruit, milk and starchy vegetables like potatoes and peas)

It is best to eat regularly, small meals with snacks in between.

Click on the links that Alan and Lizzy have in their posts-- Test, test, test,  and Carbs 101

Read those and come back and let us know how you think your eating may be affecting your blood sugar.

We are here to help and we hope you can stay here with us and get those numbers under control.

Try phoning the VA again and tell them that you are getting low blood sugar and really would like to see a doctor as soon as possible.

I wish you well,

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

fpkkwin--

your posts suggest 2 possibilities. As Alan suggested it is possible that the sugar in the coffee is raising your blood sugar to the point where you produce too much insulin to brig it down, and it brings it down to 60-70. A couple of additional morning tests would confirm or rule that out.

I think it might be more likely that you simply need more, not less, carbs and food in general in the morning, as you write that you don;t eat anything, other than the coffee, before lunch mid-day.  In that case your blood glucose might be, say 90-100 or higher when you awaken (you haven;t said what it is then) and then just keep drifting lower until you test at 60-70.  Again a couple of test in the morning could confirm or rule out that idea.

How does that 60-70 feel to you? You might have the classic low symptoms, if you are used to higher than normal numbers, such as nausea, dizziness, shakiness, sweat, or it might not bother you at all, if you are used to being around 80 much of the time anyway...  In the latter case, that low might not be too much of a problem, though a light breakfast might give you more morning energy...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,078
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

fokkwin wrote:

Hello all,

Welcome

You have already received some good advise from Alan, Dianne, Lizzy and Morris. I hope you have already read the blogs that Alan and Lizzy have asked you to read. They are full of useful information.  

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

"All our dreams can come true – if we have the courage to pursue them". - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 6.0 on 12/11/13

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Visitor
fokkwin

wow, thank you all for the information and suggestions.  i honestly didnt expect this much help this quickly.  as asked, my normal bs in the morning is around 95-105.  so when it gets down to the 60 range i start shaking and vision gets wierd.  and it comes on quick.  luckily my kids will save there little candies and have put together a daddy needs sugar jar for me as a birthday gift so i can get a quick sugar boost when i need it.  it usually works but sometimes i eat an orange to get the boost.  my father in law has been diabetic since the dawn of man and taught me those 2 tricks lol.  but i think i will try to start eating a light breakfast and lunch with small snacks in between.  also, i dont sleep much for some reason. i average 2-4 hours a night at most.  so is it ok to have a snack in the middle of the night or should i try and refrain from doin that?

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,278
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

The other thing that works really good for lows is  the drinks we generally avoid because they make our blood sugar go up quickly.  But when we are low--that's what we want! Orange juice, apple juice, regular sods (with sugar) all work.  I don;t buy soda, and found the OJ went bad before I went low, but the little 12 oz bottle of Martinelli's apple juice work well--I usually drink about half of one of those and it does the trick...

A smaller breakfast with a snack should work well for avoiding those morning lows.

A snack in the middle of the night may or may not be good. If you are trending low at night, it could be part of why you are having trouble sleeping, so a snack may be a good thing--it may even help you sleep better. Try and see if that happens, and test a bit to see what it does to your blood glucose...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...