Visitor
mallocco
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎02-14-2012

Need Help with cost of insulin

I am one of theose "in-between" people.   I have some limited health insurance with a total of $75 per month for prescritpions.   I was put on Humlin R-500.  It only comes in a huge vial - no pens and it costs me - over $325 to refill it. 

That is with my prescription coverage.   That's a week's take home pay.  Since I have some form of insurance - I do not qulify for any programs from the manufacturer or the state of TN. 

I've checked out the "discount" prescription cards.  It actually costs me more since my insurance does give me a discount rate on the insulin.  But it is very hard to come up with that money and still pay for a used carto drive back and forth to work, a roof over my head and utilities.

I've asked my doctor about going back onto something else - but no help there.  Hey I figure the "pills" would be better then no medications at all.

Does anyone have any ideas for assistance?    I live in TN.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,432
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: Need Help with cost of insulin

Take a look at the Type 2 Forum Discussion List--at the very top is a thread called

Resources for Discount Strips, Insulin Help, and Medical Assistance

in the first post on this thread are links to a  number of assistance programs, including for insulin and free clinics all over the country.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

I have to tell you, your condition just seems off.  U-500 insulin is used when you seriously, seriously insulin resistant.  Yes it costs a lot.  But it makes no sense to use such a powerful form of insulin and do absolutely nothing about your overall condition.  The standard of care generally places type 2 diabetics on metformin to improve insulin sensitivity.  Generic metformin costs $4/month at Walmart.  Why aren't you on metformin?  I just have to ask exactly what kind of doctor you are seeing?  You might consider dropping your current doctor and seeing a competent doctor.

ps. In the meantime, you also need to use the most powerful treatments that are basically "free."  Diet and exercise.  A strict low carb diet and an aggressive regular exercise program can really help.

Visitor
mallocco

My system does not digest the metformin.   I had been on Novalog and Lantus - then I got switched to this one.

Visitor
mallocco

I've checked several of the assisted pharmacy cards. Because I do have some prescrition coverage - I get the insulin at a reduced rate.  And Even with a 75% discount, it cost more then what I pay with the insurance.  I've called several different pharmacies to verify that as well.

I've talked to TNcare and human services.  There is no assistance available for me there.  I've talked to the county health clinic and there is nothing they can provide.

I've called the state Diabetic Association and the person I talked to could offer no ideas either.

I talked to the nurse practiioner I saw at my Family practice clinic.   She told me since I'm on insulin - that I can't go back to the pills.   My endocrinologist appointment is not till next month, I'll verify that with him then. 

I warch my diet.  But I could get more exercise and I am working on that as well.