Occasional Contributor
Andi_the_Viking
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎10-14-2011

Mystery bruises

This has been going on for a few years now, but I thought I would ask anyway.  It seems that I get bruises anywhere on my body that have no apparent stress related event connected to them.  One day as I was getting into the shower, I was shocked to discover, by looking in the mirror, that I had an enormous green/blue/black bruise on the back of my hip area.  It was huge, probably 5 inches accross and I didn't notice any pain from it anytime before discovering it.  It's not like I fell into a door or got into a bar fight or went roller-derby on myself.  I live a quiet, boring, mostly uneventful life working from home.  This week I have a big bruise on my shin, and there have been many bruises on my legs in the past.  It is not unusual to have many bruises from any of my 4 insulin injections per day.  They all go into my stomach area.  Are these injections causing other parts of my body to be bruised in some way?  Perhaps this is one of those accupuncture, nerve-related thingies?  One would think I would know where a 5 inch bruise came from or any of the bruises on my legs, forearms, etc.  I look like a rotten pear.

Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Re: Mystery bruises

I'm on 2 bp meds, my arms wil bruise easily. I have noticed some in other places, with no idea when I apparenty ran into I don't know what!

I don't worry about mine, but if yours continue, or get worse be good to mention it to doc.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Advisor
goldensun
Total Posts: 356
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Show them to the doc.  They could be important or nothing. It would be a good idea to check it out.

Prediabetic
A1C
03/14 5,4
09/13 4.7
03/13 4.8
08/12 5.0
Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Okay......don't laugh but I have a " Bump and Bruise" booklet.  I am constantly banging my hips on a table or the butcher block  or running into the side of the bed.  For the past year I have been writing it down because I too have found bruises and could not remember ever hitting something..........last week I ran through the play room and hit my hip on a part of the fuss ball table......it just  showed up as a nice little bruise.

This may not be your  problem but try to be aware and contact your Doc if you start getting more than one a day.

See ya..............................................Big Red...............................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
Advisor
annieO
Total Posts: 385
Registered on: ‎03-02-2010

Bruising can be an indicator of a number of issues.

I'd be sure to mention to your physician

AnnieO

Dx 11/09; Glimepiride & Onglyza

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."
from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
Super Advisor
deafmack
Total Posts: 2,527
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Andi_the_Viking wrote:

This has been going on for a few years now, but I thought I would ask anyway.  It seems that I get bruises anywhere on my body that have no apparent stress related event connected to them.  One day as I was getting into the shower, I was shocked to discover, by looking in the mirror, that I had an enormous green/blue/black bruise on the back of my hip area.  It was huge, probably 5 inches accross and I didn't notice any pain from it anytime before discovering it.  It's not like I fell into a door or got into a bar fight or went roller-derby on myself.  I live a quiet, boring, mostly uneventful life working from home.  This week I have a big bruise on my shin, and there have been many bruises on my legs in the past.  It is not unusual to have many bruises from any of my 4 insulin injections per day.  They all go into my stomach area.  Are these injections causing other parts of my body to be bruised in some way?  Perhaps this is one of those accupuncture, nerve-related thingies?  One would think I would know where a 5 inch bruise came from or any of the bruises on my legs, forearms, etc.  I look like a rotten pear.

The bruising could be from a number of reasons. Are you on anything like Warfarin or Plavix or Aspirin? Those 3 drugs can cause bruising. I am sure there are others as well. I have bruised easily all of my life. I get bruises and never have any idea where they came from. Since your bruising seems to be more recent, I would definitely let your doctor know. Since it seems you are getting them where you inject it could be that you are hitting small capillaries where you inject. That is pretty common but I would still get it checked out. Wishing you the very best.

a Deaf person with Diabetes.

Occasional Contributor
Andi_the_Viking
Total Posts: 7
Registered on: ‎10-14-2011

Thanks so much for everyone's reply.  At least now I'll remember to tell my doc about this as I'm seeing her tomorrow. 

Responder
twistedscamp
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎11-02-2011

Please make sure that you talk to your doctor about it.  I am not trying to scare you but as it has been mentioned before it could mean that something else is wrong.  For my mother it was Lupus, for one of my co-workers it was Leukemia.  Its always better to be safe then sorry.

Occasional Visitor
gypsi
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-23-2013

I have this bruise on my left shin that I've had for a few months now, that wont seem to go away. It's red and sore to the touch and a little bigger than a quarter. I take two pills twice a day for my sugar and don't know if that could be related.
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,598
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,433
Solutions: 162
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

gypsi wrote:
I have this bruise on my left shin that I've had for a few months now, that wont seem to go away. It's red and sore to the touch and a little bigger than a quarter.

G'day.

Welcome to the forum. What did your doctor say about the bruise?

I take two pills twice a day for my sugar and don't know if that could be related.

What is your HbA1c and the numbers you see when you test at home?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)