Occasional Contributor
netteortiz
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎01-15-2012
Helpful Response

My A1c is 6.2 which is identified as Prediabetes

Note:  I was not sure which forum I should have posted this...I originally had it posted under Healthy Eating.

Brief background,

I am female, 42 years old, overweight (191.5), Hispanic, and diabetes runs on my mother side(my mother, younger brother, and grandmother have diabetes).

I am considered as my doctor puts it...either prediabetic or impaired glucose tolerance.  In 2011, I worked very hard in tackling my weight, exercising and eating the right foods.  I had initially weighed 200.5 #s.  I did come down to 173#s, but due to stress and renovating my home I actually gained back 18.5#s. 

What factors added to that gain weight: stress, eating habits, and I stopped working out.  I know what caused it, but I am struggling with how to manage and maintain an ideal weight.  I was not even close to my ideal weight. 

I know that I should not only focus on the number of pounds that I wish to lose, but to focus on what I should be eating combined with a workout program.  I have researched numerous websites and read books.  Based on everything I had researched, I should be focusing on eating foods in the low glycemic index. 

I need help to stay focus and dedicated to a healthier way of eating.  Can anyone recommend any literature or website, or even a book which I can follow that will at least give me the foundation on how to approach my journey?  I need structure and guidance.  If there something available that says for the first two weeks do this and eat this...at least that will give me a basic idea on what I should be doing.  This way I can write everything down on what I did, and what the progress is.  For progress I am first looking at, how did I feel?  Do I have more energy?  Am I able to concentrate?  Any headaches?  Do I feel stronger working out and have the energy to do so?

It seems like I know what I am suppose to do, I just don't know where to begin.  I am afraid of getting type 2 diabetes, and I want to approach this understanding what worked and what didn't, and why.

This is my first time joining this community, and I am hoping someone can provide me suggestions on what to do.

Thank You,

Nette

Super Advisor
grannyred
Total Posts: 4,447
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: My A1c is 6.2 which is identified as Prediabetes

Hi Nette...............Welcome to the club that no one wants to join.   Being Pre-diabetic is like being a little pregnant......LOL

Read all you can here and you will recieve info on how to best control your blood glucose numbers, after that the weight should start dropping off naturally.  Lizzy has some great blogs, just find her posts and click on the items at the bottom.

Again Welcome.........................See ya.........................Big Red.........................Peace

Granny Red is Big Red Type 2 DX 2/17/09 A1c 7.7 2/2011 A1c 4.7  5/2011 A1c  4.7 8/2011 A1c 4.9 -11/2011 -4.7
March / 2012 New A1c 5.0 !
A1c Nov.2012...4.7
A1c Jan 21, 2013 5.2 Adding Met 2 X 500 mg
Newest A1c April 24,2013....back to 4.9......WOOOOOHOOOO!!!!
Low Carb and lots of Exercise Don't believe everything you think !!!!!! Please help save the Earth.....it's the only planet with Chocolate !!!!
NATIVE EARTH !!!!!
My Secret..............low carb, exercise, Graze not Gorge and portion size !!!!!!

Information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth. Truth must be absolute; otherwise it is merely opinion.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,832
Topics: 561
High Fives: 1,927
Solutions: 139
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

NetteOrtiz wrote:

Note:  I was not sure which forum I should have posted this...I originally had it posted under Healthy Eating.

Brief background,

I am female, 42 years old, overweight (191.5), Hispanic, and diabetes runs on my mother side(my mother, younger brother, and grandmother have diabetes).

I am considered as my doctor puts it...either prediabetic or impaired glucose tolerance.  In 2011, I worked very hard in tackling my weight, exercising and eating the right foods.  I had initially weighed 200.5 #s.  I did come down to 173#s, but due to stress and renovating my home I actually gained back 18.5#s. 

What factors added to that gain weight: stress, eating habits, and I stopped working out.  I know what caused it, but I am struggling with how to manage and maintain an ideal weight.  I was not even close to my ideal weight. 

I know that I should not only focus on the number of pounds that I wish to lose, but to focus on what I should be eating combined with a workout program.  I have researched numerous websites and read books.  Based on everything I had researched, I should be focusing on eating foods in the low glycemic index. 

I need help to stay focus and dedicated to a healthier way of eating.  Can anyone recommend any literature or website, or even a book which I can follow that will at least give me the foundation on how to approach my journey?  I need structure and guidance.  If there something available that says for the first two weeks do this and eat this...at least that will give me a basic idea on what I should be doing.  This way I can write everything down on what I did, and what the progress is.  For progress I am first looking at, how did I feel?  Do I have more energy?  Am I able to concentrate?  Any headaches?  Do I feel stronger working out and have the energy to do so?

It seems like I know what I am suppose to do, I just don't know where to begin.  I am afraid of getting type 2 diabetes, and I want to approach this understanding what worked and what didn't, and why.

This is my first time joining this community, and I am hoping someone can provide me suggestions on what to do.

Thank You,

Nette

Hi Nette, welcome.

It is best to concentrate on the BG numbers first, and take things one step at a time.

Here's some information I wrote for new people to explain a lot of things about diabetes and help them get off on the right track.  CLICK HERE

There's a lot of talk about glycemic index around here, but the bottom line is to define your own index bacause everyone is different and what affects one person might not affect another in the same way.  The key is to find what's right for you.

I'm sure you'll have lots of questions, so feel free to ask.:smileyhappy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,425
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Glycemic Index is important, but the key aspect that affects blood sugar the most is the amount of carbohydrates you eat.  If you have a glucose meter, you can use it to experiment with different foods and see how they affect you, and then make changes accordingly.

A good book to shart with is Gretchen Becker's PreDiabetes:What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes Away.  She is also the author of the most often recommended book on these forums about Type 2, called The First Year.

You can learn a lot of what she has to say here on this forum--Lizzy's blog posts are a good place to start--but you will also find a lot of conflicting advice here, even if mostly the disagreements are on the finer points. Becker's books are in a way a coherent summary of what you can learn here if you sift through what we all have to say

So that book plus reading here should give you the knowledge you need to make healthy changes and insure good long-term outcomes...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Occasional Contributor
netteortiz

A good book to shart with is Gretchen Becker's PreDiabetes:What You Need to Know to Keep Diabetes Away.  She is also the author of the most often recommended book on these forums about Type 2, called The First Year.

Thank You for this recommendation!

Frequent Responder
sam_43
Total Posts: 83
Registered on: ‎10-10-2011

Dear Nette

Your A1C of 6.2 % is a bit on the high side. Perhaps you should ask your doctor to prescribe some tests to rule out Diabetes.

Reg. prediabetes, one clear indicator is your  Trigllyceride level. If it is high it is a warning sign.

All the best

sam

Occasional Contributor
netteortiz

Hi Sam, I did check my lab test results and for Triglycerides...my level or value was 125. My ultimate goal is to connect with a register dietician. I know that I very borderline to having diabetes. I am passionate about this since my step brother died from diabetes. No one knew he had it. Now my younger brother has it, and again he almost died had he not driven himself to ER. He actually saved his own life. ~Nette
Super Advisor
carlking2
Total Posts: 2,711
Registered on: ‎04-08-2011

netteortiz wrote:
Hi Sam, I did check my lab test results and for Triglycerides...my level or value was 125. My ultimate goal is to connect with a register dietician. I know that I very borderline to having diabetes. I am passionate about this since my step brother died from diabetes. No one knew he had it. Now my younger brother has it, and again he almost died had he not driven himself to ER. He actually saved his own life. ~Nette 

Nette,

Please read Lizzys blog posts and Alan has a off site blog listed in his signature that contains some very useful information.  I would urge you to treat your pre-diabetes as diabetes, and it does sound as if you will.  I would get a meter and test at least several times per day and pay particular attention to your fasting blood glucose (FBG) as well as how high your BG spikes after meals and with what types of foods.   The book Morris recommended is a very good read...She also has another about Type 2 the first year.

I wish you well.

Thanks Rick

Diagnosed T2 4/4/2011
04/04/2011, A1c 11.2
06/27/2011, A1c 5.6
10/07/2011, A1c 5.7
1/14/2012, A1c 5.4
4/17/2012, A1c 5.4
7/27/2012, A1c 5.3
01/30/2013, A1c 5.2
08/26/2013, A1c 5.3

Lipids TC 201, LDL 108, VLDL 16, Triglycerides 81, HDL 77