Reply
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012
Helpful Response

Mosquitos

Do mosquitos like diabetics better and bite more than non-diabetics?  Do I need to be more cautious now?  Just curious...

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

Re: Mosquitos

haha. I always had this theory with fleas. Somehow anytime I stood out in certain grassy areas or been around some animal with fleas(its been years since i've been around anyone with flea'd animals). They would always bite me. There would be other people around and somehow they all liked sucking my blood. After being dx'd, I've always wondered if fleas or bugs that bite liked my blood better because I was sweet like sugar. lol

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,045
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Mosquitos

They don't seem to bite me more now than before.

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,395
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,371
Solutions: 155
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Mosquitos



LilMissDaisy wrote:

Do mosquitos like diabetics better and bite more than non-diabetics?  Do I need to be more cautious now?  Just curious...


 

I don't think so. I am the diabetic but my wife is the one who cannot go outside at dawn or dusk without being attacked; I think I became immune when I spent many weekends fishing with Dad in locations where I had to keep my mouth shut or I'd swallow a mozzie.

 

She tried vitamin B1 for a while; it helped, but not enough. Now she just uses the Aerogard when she has to go out.

 

I doubt you see this ad on your TVs; I detest most ads, but I like this one:

 

 

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Rhodes, Greece)
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Mosquitos


Ikitty wrote:

haha. I always had this theory with fleas. Somehow anytime I stood out in certain grassy areas or been around some animal with fleas(its been years since i've been around anyone with flea'd animals). They would always bite me. There would be other people around and somehow they all liked sucking my blood. After being dx'd, I've always wondered if fleas or bugs that bite liked my blood better because I was sweet like sugar. lol


Kitty, years ago on our former board we had discussions about this. I have always been the person who would be bitten by a wasp, fortunately no serious reactions.

 

But I am very glad that I live near the ocean and there are no mosquitoes.

 

I had a doctor friend whose daughter was a flea magnet. They were a pet loving household and during flea season she wore a flea collar around each ankle while at home.

 

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
Spookiesmom
Total Posts: 1,453
Registered on: ‎02-17-2010

Re: Mosquitos

Normally they will go past me and feast on DH. If one does bite me, I laugh. Between the insulin and coumadin they won't bite any one else.
Barb T2 Omni Pod since 1-09
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Re: Mosquitos


alan_s wrote:


LilMissDaisy wrote:

Do mosquitos like diabetics better and bite more than non-diabetics?  Do I need to be more cautious now?  Just curious...


 

I don't think so. I am the diabetic but my wife is the one who cannot go outside at dawn or dusk without being attacked; I think I became immune when I spent many weekends fishing with Dad in locations where I had to keep my mouth shut or I'd swallow a mozzie.

 

She tried vitamin B1 for a while; it helped, but not enough. Now she just uses the Aerogard when she has to go out.

 

I doubt you see this ad on your TVs; I detest most ads, but I like this one: 

 


Great ad.  Thanks!  I love Grease!

Frequent Advisor
Hornet62
Total Posts: 516
Registered on: ‎03-17-2011

Re: Mosquitos

I don't know about them liking diabetics more, but it does seem like they can zero in on the person that is allergic to them.  I know this from experience.


"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt


Levimir 55 units in the morning and at bedtime
Novolog 50 units with each meal
Metformin 1000 mg twice daily
Neurontin (gabapentin) 300 mg twice daily (neuropathy)
Metoprolol 50 mg twice daily (hypertension)
Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg daily (hypertension)
Crestor 20 mg at bedtime (hypercholesterolemia)
Multivitamin daily
Aspirin 81 mg daily
Lovaza 2 gm twice daily
Responder
mcfadyen62
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎08-22-2010

Re: Mosquitoes

I deal with mosquitoes and questions about them all summer long. As a pest control supervisor part of my job is educating the public and answering questions from worried homeowners. With most pests we encounter in and around our homes the fears are mostly way out of line with reality. However with mosquitoes I don't think people worry enough. They are vectors of many different diseases that can completely change your life and sometimes forever.

As far as them liking "sweeter" blood from diabetics it just is not true. Mosquitoes don't care who they feed on but some people truly are thick skinned and don't get as many bites and some people don't have any reaction to the bites so they think they aren't getting bitten.

 

Jerry
Widowed to Diabetes on 7-10-2002
New wife diagnosed w/T2 4-2005
I was diagnosed w/T2 6-2010
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Re: Mosquitoes


mcfadyen62 wrote:

I deal with mosquitoes and questions about them all summer long. As a pest control supervisor part of my job is educating the public and answering questions from worried homeowners. With most pests we encounter in and around our homes the fears are mostly way out of line with reality. However with mosquitoes I don't think people worry enough. They are vectors of many different diseases that can completely change your life and sometimes forever.

As far as them liking "sweeter" blood from diabetics it just is not true. Mosquitoes don't care who they feed on but some people truly are thick skinned and don't get as many bites and some people don't have any reaction to the bites so they think they aren't getting bitten.

 


Then all I need to worry about are vampires?  LOL  I think they can smell our blood, you know!