Occasional Responder
lucyvanpelt
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎11-09-2011

Morning (fasting) blood glucose high

I''ve only been on the forum for a week or so. My husband just got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. We're working with his doctor on getting his blood sugar under control. He's taking Metformin twice a day and we've changed our diet accordingly. When he takes his blood sugar in the morning before breakfast it has been consistently higher than the readings he gets the rest of the day. Is this normal? Might the doc need to adjust his p.m. med dose? Is there something that takes place in the bodies metabolism during sleep that would make the morning numbers higher? Is it possible we don't have our dinners fine tuned enough? Should he eat a small snack before bed?

I know....lots of questions. We're learning.

Thanks in advance.

Jules

alan_s
Total Posts: 14,720
Topics: 207
High Fives: 1,479
Solutions: 166
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Morning (fasting) blood glucose high

[ Edited ]

LucyVanPelt wrote:

I''ve only been on the forum for a week or so. My husband just got diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. We're working with his doctor on getting his blood sugar under control. He's taking Metformin twice a day and we've changed our diet accordingly. When he takes his blood sugar in the morning before breakfast it has been consistently higher than the readings he gets the rest of the day. Is this normal? Might the doc need to adjust his p.m. med dose? Is there something that takes place in the bodies metabolism during sleep that would make the morning numbers higher? Is it possible we don't have our dinners fine tuned enough? Should he eat a small snack before bed?

I know....lots of questions. We're learning.

Thanks in advance.

Jules

G'day and welcome.

I've written two articles that may help him. Please both read both of them (click on them):

Getting Started

I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

He will have lots of questions after that, please come back and ask.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,427
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Hi, Jules!  Is your husband able to exercise?  If so, he may be able to keep his numbers down overnight and not exhibit any effect from the Dawn Phenomenon's usual morning rise.  Exercise is the only thing that does it for me -- not the metformin, and certainly not the food, which usually has only one effect for me: raising the numbers.  So, I always try to follow any food with exercise, in the right amount for the amount of carbs consumed.  I space the exercise out over the day, along with the food, and that not only keeps bg numbers down over the day, but also continues bg-lowering effects overnight, if I've done enough total by the end of the day.  Can always check bedtime numbers and see where it's going to end up in the morning.  If it's not on target at bedtime, it's not going to be on target in the morning.  So sometimes I add a few more minutes of exercise before bed.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Occasional Responder
lucyvanpelt
Total Posts: 13
Registered on: ‎11-09-2011

Thank you Nancy. I've been a "gym rat" for years and really enjoy all the benefits of working out. One big reason for me is that it helps mangage my depression. My husband, while active, does not engage in regular exercise. He does many of the common sense stuff....takes the stairs, parks far from where he needs to go etc. He is currently trying to figure out an exercise regime that he can stick to. His favorite thing is swimming, but his work hours are long, so he's trying to figure out how to work it into his life. I was lucky, my mom (who just passed away at 93) was always active. She was a Jack LaLanne follower and as kids we exercised right along with her. All of us "kids" :smileyhappy: love to exercise and I really think it was the example she gave us. She loved to dance and she never stopped...literally.....she was dancing at a gathering with her friends on a Wednesday, she fell asleep two days later and never woke up.

Thanks for your input and for "listening" to me talk about my mom. I was lucky to have her and I miss her a lot.

All the best.

Jules