Occasional Contributor
pstewart51
Total Posts: 3
Registered on: ‎04-13-2013

Metformin and Alzheimer's disease

I am hearing very disturbing news regarding the connection between Metformin use and Alzheimer's disease. Until today, using Metformin was thought to be a factor in AVOIDING the onset of Alzheimer's disease, and today I read that scientists at Scripps Research Institute say that their studies show that Metformin use is a factor exacerbating the onset of Alzheimer's disease. Has anyone else heard about this--and what do you think about it? I am pretty freaked out as I am a Metformin user.

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Metformin and Alzheimer's disease

This appears to be the study referenced: click here.

I also found a very large study of patients taking Metformin, patients taking other diabetes medications, and a control group taking neither.  That study found a very slightly higher percent of those taking Metformin getting Alzheimer's, so apparently this effect is not pronounced.  To read that study click here.

This has been a debate for some time in the medical community.  Some thought Metformin might help to prevent Alzheimer's.  Some think not.

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Super Advisor
strollingbonez
Total Posts: 705
Registered on: ‎12-17-2012

great i read this about 4 am and have been in total anx since.....that is what my mom has....so they say..alzheimer's...they also say its connected somehow with diabeties....i dont know...they say a lot of stuff....

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

pstewart51 wrote:

I am hearing very disturbing news regarding the connection between Metformin use and Alzheimer's disease. Until today, using Metformin was thought to be a factor in AVOIDING the onset of Alzheimer's disease, and today I read that scientists at Scripps Research Institute say that their studies show that Metformin use is a factor exacerbating the onset of Alzheimer's disease. Has anyone else heard about this--and what do you think about it? I am pretty freaked out as I am a Metformin user.

First, let me give you a suggestion.  If you allow yourself to become upset with every research report you'll be in a constant state of anxiety.  There are thousands of studies done every year, but very few prove to be valid and/or repeatable.  Having diabetes alone reportedly puts you at greater risk for Alzheimers, without any drug treatment.

From the second link:

This finding supports evidence from an animal study that found that metformin increased the generation of Aβ protein, which is pivotal in the genesis of AD,[11] although the findings regarding the effect of metformin have to be interpreted with caution, because this greater risk was not confirmed in a subgroup analysis of users of metformin only and because there was no consistent trend toward a greater risk with increasing number of prescriptions.

The finding of a slightly greater risk of AD in association with metformin use in this large observational study is consistent with observations from a recent in vitro study, in which metformin was found to increase the biogenesis of Aβ protein. By contrast, in other in vitro studies, metformin modified important steps in the biogenesis of neuritic plaques and neurofibrillary tangles or improved impaired neuronal insulin signaling raising speculations about the potential to reduce the risk of developing AD, but all of these observations were made in cortical neurons of mice, and the results may not be applicable to humans.

Then there's the fact that you are not a mouse, another important distinction.  There are also these considerations:

with many other slowly developing degenerative diseases, the disease onset and therefore the index date in an observational study is not a precise point in time. This may affect some risk estimates, particularly if early symptoms of the diseases of interest may affect

Diagnostic bias might have played a role in the study because individuals with DM may be more likely of receiving an AD diagnosis as the result of closer follow-up by a GP than individuals without DM, although the reverse is also possible because individuals with long-standing severe DM may be less likely to be investigated for AD.

So all of this points to the fact that much more research must be done with tighter controls and parameters.  Even with that the supposedly elevated risk is still small. 

Here's a post I wrote on the subject of research that you might find interesting:  click here

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,040
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,591
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

strollingbonez wrote:

great i read this about 4 am and have been in total anx since.....that is what my mom has....so they say..alzheimer's...they also say its connected somehow with diabeties....i dont know...they say a lot of stuff....

I echo the advice not to get stressed about reports, whether in the scientific press or the ordinary media.

When I see these reports the first thing I do is seek out the original paper to see what their methodology was (thanks for the links George). Sometimes, rarely, that leads to me making a small change in my regimen. More often it reminds me that medicine is still more an art than a science and medical researchers are just fallible human beings.

There is no need to be concerned until the subject of the research is clearly established in peer-reviewed, long-term, high-population human research.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)