Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

Low-Carb Snack Ideas for People with Diabetes

“If you need a pick-me-up between meals, a snack with 15-20 grams of carbohydrate is often the answer. For someone with diabetes, it's important to eat a fiber-filled and nutrient-rich snack to curb the appetite before the next meal, says Angela Ginn-Meadow, a registered dietitian and a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.”

Talk to your health care provider about whether a snack will work in your meal plan.

Easy Low-Carb Snack Ideas

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Re: Low-Carb Snack Ideas for People with Diabetes

Ralph wrote:

“If you need a pick-me-up between meals, a snack with 15-20 grams of carbohydrate is often the answer. For someone with diabetes, it's important to eat a fiber-filled and nutrient-rich snack to curb the appetite before the next meal, says Angela Ginn-Meadow, a registered dietitian and a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.”

Talk to your health care provider about whether a snack will work in your meal plan.

Easy Low-Carb Snack Ideas

Interesting Ralph, this seems very much an article pushing the magazine called Diabetic Living.

I will not be subscribing!  Not one of those snack recipes comes with a nutrition count at all. The Dietician who works for the American Dietetic Association does tell you when it is low in fat or in sodium- whoopdee doo!

The Registered Dieticians that I know speak of the carbs first, then toss in the info on fat and sodium, but the stress is on carbs first, at least at the Diabetes Classes and sessions.

Of the snacks I did take the time to look at the only one I would choose would be what looks like ½ pear and some cheese. Except my choice of cheese would not be lite or low fat.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,586
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

Re: Low-Carb Snack Ideas for People with Diabetes

What Dianne said. And popups galore.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)