Long Lost Member
anoldhippy
Total Posts: 4
Registered on: ‎03-30-2010

Loss of Smell and Taste

About 1 year ago, I had a cold. Didn't notice until I was feeling better, that I couldn't smell anything. Then I noticed that i had no taste. I can designate, sweet and salty, spicey  but I cant tell you if it is a chip or a a pice of pizza. There are times when I can get a wiff of something and then it goes away.  My Endo said not realted. GP told me to take Vit B. He sent me to an ENT. That guy said everything looked ok. What the heck? Anyone else had this issue. I think part of my issue lately with bad number/ and wt gain is I keep hoping someithng will taste good again. Thanks
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,455
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Loss of Smell and Taste

Try Googling Ageusia or Loss of Taste if you haven't and see if you can find something relevant there in the links that come up. This is not something that is related to diabetes but is something else...

I heard an interview with someone on NPR a year or so back with someone who had experienced a complete loss of taste and gradually got it back over a period of a year, and had written a very compelling account of it. Well, at least the interview was compelling, but I can't say who it was.

Just in the past few weeks, another book was published by the chef at Alinea, a Chicago Restaurant named the best in the US a couple of years ago, who had developed cancer of the tongue, which doctors wanted to remove. He refused and found an alternative chemo treatment, but was told to install a feeding tube, and refused that as well, as a result losing 50-60 lbs while he underwent treatment, weight that was not extra. As a top chef who could no longer eat or taste anything, it makes for a pretty interesting story... told early on here  and more recently on Fresh Air ...though obviously quite different from yours...
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,914
Topics: 563
High Fives: 1,979
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Loss of Smell and Taste

I remembered hearing about cold remedies that could cause this and did a search and HERE it is.  Especially because you said you had a cold.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder

Loss of Smell and Taste

I see now that mine shows on my screen with the note at the top "Your comment is awaiting moderation"
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 

lizzylou

Loss of Smell and Taste

LOL, the last time I looked Morris this response was meant for the post one up.  You hit the wrong thread, this should be on your diabetize recipe one.

Lizzy
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder

Loss of Smell and Taste

Thanks for pointing that out, Lizzy.

Dleted here, posted there...
Morris

Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,420
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Loss of Smell and Taste

Oldhippy, are you taking metformin?  That might be doing it.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
lizzylou

Loss of Smell and Taste

Nancy, do you have a link that explains that?

Lizzy 
Knowledge is Power!

Testing 101

All About Carbs

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Loss of Smell and Taste

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Super Advisor
powerwalker2

Loss of Smell and Taste

My own taste buds, mostly, like thousands of others who have posted here and there and everywhere, apparently -- according to Google -- Google "metformin taste".  As for something "official", I did find THIS which references a "temporary metallic taste" as one of the side effects.  For me, it has been sort of a general decline in overall sense of taste -- to the point where nothing really tastes as good as it should -- or it tastes "different" -- often unappealing altogether.  Just kind of "blah".  I believe this has the effect of killing the appetite and is the reason that people sometimes lose weight on metformin.  I may have lost a few pounds because of it, but don't think it would be worth taking just for that reason alone.  So you haven't experienced anything like this, Lizzy?  Anybody?