Frequent Visitor
brenda751
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎02-24-2012
Helpful Response

List of do/don't eat foods

I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I have been searching the internet for printable lists of foods that are good/bad for diabetes patients.  I have found many sites that say stay away from this/that food/etc.  I am looking for a list I can hang on my refrigerator, and take to the grocery store to help me eat right. Ready made (store bought) quick snack ideas would help too.   Any suggestions??  Thank you all so much, appreciate the feedback!

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

Re: List of do/don't eat foods

You probably don't see any because we all respond differently to different carbs. What I try to do is keep more of the lower glycemic foods on hand, veggies, or lots of nuts.

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

The list is individual to each of us.  The only adivce I have is that you eat..you test.  That way you know exactly what you can have and in what size serving.

For instance, I can have a small, red potato without much of a rise but a slice of bread of any kind will sent me thru the roof.  I have to stay away from all grain-based foods like breads, cereals, rice and anything made with flour.  Other people can get away with a little of those things depending on the time of day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

brenda751 wrote:

I am newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I have been searching the internet for printable lists of foods that are good/bad for diabetes patients.  I have found many sites that say stay away from this/that food/etc.  I am looking for a list I can hang on my refrigerator, and take to the grocery store to help me eat right. Ready made (store bought) quick snack ideas would help too.   Any suggestions??  Thank you all so much, appreciate the feedback!

Hi Brenda, welcome to the boards.

There is no such list because, as Kitty said, it depends on you and your body what foods will work for you.  You can make your own list after you've tested enough to see what works for you.

Basically it's carbs that must be controlled and counted with diabetes.  Protein and fat don't usually raise the numbers as much.  Carbs are a biggie, and unfortunately what most people like and find hard to control.  It can be done though. 

Please read the links below:  Testing 101 and All About Carbs to find out how.  A hint would be to stick to whole unprocessed foods as much as possible.  That way you know what's in them.  About the only thing I'd say stay away from (besides too many carbs) is regular soda and fruit juice unless you're treating a low.   Some people say stay away from "white" food but that has more to do with nutrition than carbs.  They do have more fiber, which is good, but it's not a big major breech to eat something white as long as it doesn't raise your numbers too high.

After you've read the link ask any questions you might have.:smileyhappy:

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Hi Brenda and welcome to the message board.

I know it is a little frustrating at the beginning to hear us all say that we can eat some of most any food but it is all about portion size and testing to see how much of that food we can eat.

Let me approach this from the angle of how most of us shopped at the beginning.

Instead of taking a list of do/don't eat foods to the store, I went with a paperback carbohydrate counter and an empty sheet of paper.

I read labels of the foods in the store and looked particularly for the amount of carbohydrates in the food I was purchasing.

I learned for that milk has 12 grams of carbs per glass, 2% cottage cheese has 3 gms per ½ cup, yogurts can be even lower and regular full fat cheese has 0 grams carb.

Meats and fish have no carbs and breads will drive you crazy reading the labels.

It is really all about the amount of carbs that we can handle and believe me I think just about everyone took a lot longer in the grocery store that they ever had before. However it is time well spent because you will need to know what foods to choose first of all and how much of that food you can handle in a meal.

Let me also suggest this Brenda.

If you possibly can try to attend a Diabetes Education Class. It is a good start to learn about foods that are the most difficult for us to handle. They may start with suggestions of a higher amount of carbs per meal or snack, but you have your meter that will tell you how much you can cope with.

You will also learn about the good effects of exercise on our blood sugar as well as the different meds that can be prescribed if necessary.

And one more thing-  This does get easier, way easier as time goes on and once you start on this healthier lifestyle you will likely feel better than you ever have before.

Come back and ask all the questions you want to.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

brenda751 wrote:

Brenda, here is some information from the Canadian Diabetes Association on carbohydrates for diabetics. It gives foods to eat less of and other foods to eat more of. You may want to print the second page and hang it up as a reminder.

Choosing Carbohydrates

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Advisor
CollegeLady1
Total Posts: 227
Registered on: ‎02-19-2012

Hi Brenda and welcome!

Alan Shanley wrote a book called "What on Earth Can I eat?  Food, Type 2 and you" that I just started reading.  It's informative and gives some good guidelines. He's also on these boards and gives great advice.

For me, now that I'm really focused on getting my diabetes under control, I have to MWW everything!!! (M - measure; W - weigh; W - write) That way, I can see how my foods and diabetes get along. 

I'd recommend downloading the CalorieKing app to look up various foods for their nutritional content.  Even most major restaurants are covered!  I'd also recommend the book "A Smart Women's Guide to Diabetes" by Amy Stockwell Mercer as well as any other books recommended by the ADA, these boards and/or your doctor.  The Mercer book is written by woman for women and gives advice on how to deal with the various challenges women face.  I found it informative and enlightening.

Amy, Poster Child for Better Living thru Chemicals :smileytongue:

~ The Difficult is the work of the moment; The Impossible just takes a little longer.

San Diego, California
PWD2 diagnosed 2/2003
7/2013 A1C 6.9
Metformin 850mg 3x/day; Glyburide 5mg 2a/1p/day; Actos 30mg 1x/day for T2
Nortriptyline 50mg, Depacote 500mg for migraine
Paroxetine 20mg 1x daily for depression
Simvastatin 10mg 1x daily for cholesterol
Albuterol for asthma daily with exercise and additional as needed
Imitrex 25mg with Naproxen 275mg for migraine
Plus OTC supplements as required
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,929
Topics: 564
High Fives: 1,987
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

You know Brenda you can spend a lot of time and money buying diet books but it will still all come down to what works for your body.  The only way you can find that out is by testing.

The same thing applies to the GI Index, it comes down to what is your GI index, not the people (non-diabetic) who were tested with those foods, ten people total.

We have a saying around here YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary, and that is sooo true.  Every person is different and every person's diabetes is unique to them and their body.

Most of the current "diabetes" cookbooks for example contain way to many carbs for most people unless they take a lot of medication.  I recommend if you have to buy cookbooks, buy low-carb ones instead.  You can also check out the recipes in our forum:  click on the title

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes/bd-p/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes

What you do is up to you, but in the end you do have to find what works for you, not someone else.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
LindaLeona
Total Posts: 85
Registered on: ‎01-03-2012

lizzylou wrote:

You know Brenda you can spend a lot of time and money buying diet books but it will still all come down to what works for Your body.  The only way you can find that out is by testing.

The same thing applies to the GI Index, it comes down to what is your GI index, not the people (non-diabetic) who were tested with those foods, ten people total.

We have a saying around here YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary, and that is sooo true.  Every person is different and every person's diabetes is unique to them and their body.

Most of the current "diabetes" cookbooks for example contain way to many carbs for most people unless they take a lot of medication.  I recommend if you have to buy cookbooks, buy low-carb ones instead.  You can also check out the recipes in our forum:  click on the title

http://community.diabetes.org/t5/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes/bd-p/Eating-Right-with-Diabetes

What you do is up to you, but in the end you do have to find what works for you, not someone else.

Lizzy

I agree with Lizzy 100% I also wanted to add that products that are marketed for diabetics need to be tested as well. For example, some Glucerna products for me have too many carbs for me to handle. Other work great. It's all about testing after you try something new. Its a pain in the butt, but 10 years from now your still attached appendages will thank you!

Also, to offer up a suggestion for those "on-the-go" snacks, I like to snack on flavored almonds. Blue diamond makes tons of different flavors. It really satisfies that chip/crunchy craving.

I also like string cheese. I feel like a kid again when I eat it. :smileyhappy:

L i n d a L e o n a

"I can do hard things"

Diagnosed Type 2 December 23rd 2011
12/23/2011 A1C of 11.5 at diagnosis
03/20/2012 A1C of 6.5 :smileyhappy:
06/15/2012 A1C of 6.0 :smileyhappy:
10/19/2012 A1C of 5.5 :smileyhappy:

Janumet 2x daily diet&exercise
Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 832
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Helpful to me initially was a list of foods sorted according to carb content, starting with the lowest. When shopping I'd pick items as close to the beginning of the list as possible. It was also helpful evaluating menus, recipes, etc.. It was only a short while before the list was instinctual and wasn't needed anymore. As others have already said, verify any food, low carb or not, with your meter. Your meter will tell you how big 'your' list is.

Here's one example of a starter list: Foods sorted by carbs