Occasional Visitor
LatinoRealtorAZ
Total Posts: 1
Registered on: ‎04-04-2013

Lipitor and TYPE 2 Diabetes

I was prescribed Lipitor about 10 years ago and shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with TYPE 2 Diabetes, I have been reading about the correlation between the two. Is my doctor responsible for this?  What should I do?  I have been taking Actos and Januvia but they are getting so expensive I can hardly afford to buy them, is there some other way? Is  Please advise.

Thank You,.

A Deleon

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,150
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Re: Lipitor and TYPE 2 Diabetes

What was your dosage of Lipitor from the time you first went on it until you were diagnosed T2?

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Super Advisor
realtxjack
Total Posts: 1,414
Registered on: ‎11-08-2009

You've got things backwards - it's not a cause-and-effect, it's a situation where the two go hand-in-hand.

Type 2 diabetes is a genetic disease and to a great degree cholesterol is also affected by genetics.  My cardiologist tells me that he sees blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes together so often that he considers it to be a single disease.  In reality, the genes may have some commonality that causes this to happen.

As for cutting the costs on your diabetes meds, it's entirely possible that improving diet and excercise could reduce your dependence on meds.

Type 2 - complicated by surgery for pancreatic cancer
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,260
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

The studies that show that  statins can increase blood glucose levels show only a minimal effect--and A1c that might increase by .1% for example.  So if you were borderline, it could push you over, but barely.  And if you were borderline, you already had a blood glucose issue.  The fact that are using both Actos and metformin suggests that you are above borderline.

Ask about a generic alternative to Actos. Otherwise your best cheap alternative is tighter dietary control and better exercise. I think the only other cheap medication, $4 like metformin, that might work is something like Glipizide--if you have not tried that it might work, but can cause low blood sugar so should be carefully monitored.  Ask your doctor...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Advisor
Lowcarbwalking
Total Posts: 258
Registered on: ‎05-31-2012

Hi LatinoRealtor,
Reducing the amount of carbohydrates you eat per meal and snack and adding exercise to your daily routine are the the only ways I can think of to reduce the amount of diabetes medications you need.

The method to use to see how carbohydrates effect our blood glucose is to test one hour and two hours after each meal and then based on the results adjust what you eat and or the quantity of what you eat.

If you want feedback and suggestions changing your current diet post what you typically eat in a day along with blood glucose readings and your A1c.

Or look for a post by alan_s or LizzyLou and click on the links in their signature to read their blogs on what you can eat and how to test to see what foods work for you to keep your bg lower.

Basically it comes down to making changes to your diet and doing some exercising every day. Something as simple as a 20 min walk after every meal will show results in lowering your bg.
Ruth
T2 Diagnosed Aug 2010 with A1c of 7.7
A1c has been under 6 since Dec 2010.
Last A1c 5.1 in March 2013; fasting bg 72
Low Carb eating & daily walks
Metformin 500mg twice aday
alan_s
Total Posts: 13,673
Topics: 189
High Fives: 1,219
Solutions: 140
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

LatinoRealtorAZ wrote:

I was prescribed Lipitor about 10 years ago and shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with TYPE 2 Diabetes, I have been reading about the correlation between the two. Is my doctor responsible for this?  What should I do?  I have been taking Actos and Januvia but they are getting so expensive I can hardly afford to buy them, is there some other way? Is  Please advise.

Thank You,.

A Deleon

Correlation is not causation. Despite my dislike of all statins I do not claim that Lipitor causes diabetes.

Welcome to the forum. This may help you improve your blood glucose levels at least as much as those meds: Test, Review, Adjust

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: Simple Low Carb Soups II - Asparagus)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Lisbon: Food and Fado)