Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: Leg Cramps at night...Please HELP!

Are your blood glucose readings good? I had leg cramps before diagnosis, but not since.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
Responder
troyryans
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎02-13-2012

Another thing to look at might be a potassium deficiency. Potassium is lost through the urine, and we all know how much urine a diabetic can put out!  

Kathy Ryan
2012 Event Chair, Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes-Michigan
2009-11 Family/Friends Team Captain, Jack's Jaywalkers
2012 Corporate Team Captain, GHSP
Frequent Advisor
billsreef
Total Posts: 4,095
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

There are couple of other meds that could also cause that as a side effect, statins and metforming come to mind. It's a rare side effect, and if the case it's also one of the more serious ones. So it's worth reviewing all your meds for such possible side effects so you can rule them out.

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

Mike, Two more thoughts/questions come to mind.

Are you practising severe restriction of your salt?  We do need sodium and lack of it can cause heat stroke and cramps in the summer. For some people it can be the cause of cramps as well.

The other concern is about your shoes. Do you wear the same brand or style every day?

I had a couple of pairs of sneakers that were identical and my very favorites. I finally connected the cramps I was getting at night (foot, toes, and above the ankle bone) to the days when I walked a little further in those somewhat worn out but comfy shoes.

Now I do my best to wear various types of walking shoes/sneakers that are slightly different from each other but that still are a good fit. I also wear crocs in the house and around the yard. They have a good arch support and a soft shock absorbing sole.

Keep after your doctors to find a solution to your very painful problem, perhaps even a podiatrist.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

mike5678 wrote:

I am having frequent leg cramps every night.  I get to sleep and am awaken by them and have to get up and move around about every hour.  Any help or suggestions as how to prevent them will be appreciated.  I have tried OTC medicine as well as taking potassium, fish oil, and prescription medicine for restless legs.  The doctors I see seem not to be able to help me.  I really need a decent night's sleep.  Thank you!

Hi Mike,

Have your doctor run tests on your vitamin and mineral levels.  It's very rare to be low of potassium because most foods contain it, but it's not rare to be low on magnesium and that can cause leg cramps such as you describe.  I had them for year before I increased my magnesium levels.  They can also be caused by certain medications such as statins. 

Tell you doctor that you need to find out why this is happening, don't let he/she put you off.  Anything that affects your rest is serious.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,545
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I have had leg cramps for a number of years.

I thought they were caused by statins, because I had read  that statins cause muscle problems.  But starting and stopping statins, for up to a month at a time, made no difference, nor did switching from one statin to another, or changing dosage. Learned later that the kind of muscle pain that statins can cause is more generalized and not transient.

I also tried more calcium, more magnesium, ,made sure I get enough potassium, and then finally hit on the solution about a year ago.  It really is due to an electrolyte deficiency most of the time, and I had tried all of those except one--sodium.

I eat a very natural diet, including many vegetables and fruits, and virtually no processed foods, except occasional bread or crackers. The typical American diet is way overloaded with sodium, but not mine.  In addition, we have been taught that too much sodium causes high blood pressure--I do have that, although it turns out that sodium raises blood pressure in only about 20% of the population. So it is pretty unusual for someone to have a sodium deficiency, and while mine is often normal,not always.  If I go hike for a few hours, to otherwise work hard enough to sweat, I end up low in sodium, and and the leg cramps are awful.

So now I make sure to sprinkle salt on my veggies.  If I wake up with a leg cramp, I get up and eat some crackers, or nuts or something with salt, and that almost always ends the leg cramps for that night.

Now checking spelling after salting and eating a hard-boiled egg!

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

[ Edited ]

mike5678 wrote:

I am having frequent leg cramps every night.  I get to sleep and am awaken by them and have to get up and move around about every hour.  Any help or suggestions as how to prevent them will be appreciated.  I have tried OTC medicine as well as taking potassium, fish oil, and prescription medicine for restless legs.  The doctors I see seem not to be able to help me.  I really need a decent night's sleep.  Thank you!

I sympathise. I have tried many remedies over the years. The most effective has been adding a magnesium supplement to my regimen; I already took fish oil. I still get occasional foot cramps, but the terrible charley horses in the wee small hours are hopefully a thing of the past. I often drink diet tonic soda as a bedtime drink to wash my pills down. When a severe arrack hits I take a quinine bisulphate tablet. That seems to reduce the lengtyh of time of the attacks.

In my climate I usually sleep under just a sheet. I found that cramps could be triggered by cold feet in the middle of the night. Wearing thick woollen socks to bed seems to have reduced that problem.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
alan_s
Total Posts: 15,010
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,587
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

morrisolder wrote:

I have had leg cramps for a number of years.

I thought they were caused by statins, because I had read  that statins cause muscle problems.  But starting and stopping statins, for up to a month at a time, made no difference, nor did switching from one statin to another, or changing dosage. Learned later that the kind of muscle pain that statins can cause is more generalized and not transient.

Interesting.

It just occrred to me as I read your post that I have not had a severe charley horse for about five years. I had put it down to my magnesium supp, which I started about four years ago. The frequency and severity of my night cramps reduced since then.

A little over five years ago I dropped lipitor from my regimen.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Advisor
elyoung
Total Posts: 173
Registered on: ‎09-26-2011

Several years ago I had a sleep study done. The end result was that my sleep apnea was hardly worth mentioning, but i had a severe case of restless leg syndrome. My doctor tried me on the regular restless leg meds, but they either didn't work or  left me exhausted and "feeling drugged" during the day. As a last resort, the doctor prescibed mirapex, which is usually prescribed for parkinson's, but it seemed to do the trick. I still have some problems with restless legs, and cramping, but it's much better than it was before meds.

Betsy

Frequent Responder
__bsc_
Total Posts: 621
Registered on: ‎05-26-2010

How are your blood sugars?  If you have been running very high, this can cause a metabolic disturbance called Hyperosmolar hyperglycemic state (HHS).  It is also a symptom of DKA.  HHS is usually brought on by a health trigger (like acute illness) and results in dehydration and major electrolyte disturbances including escalated blood sugars.  Similar bad things happen with DKA.  One of the symptoms of HHS (and DKA) is leg cramps.  This is a life threatening condition and if your blood sugar is like 500 mg/dl you should go to the ER immediately.