mike5678
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎02-20-2012

Leg Cramps at night...Please HELP!

[ Edited ]

I am having frequent leg cramps every night.  I get to sleep and am awaken by them and have to get up and move around about every hour.  Any help or suggestions as how to prevent them will be appreciated.  I have tried OTC medicine as well as taking potassium, fish oil, and prescription medicine for restless legs.  The doctors I see seem not to be able to help me.  I really need a decent night's sleep.  Thank you!

Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Leg Cramps at night...Please HELP!

Are you taking a diuretic?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mike5678

Yes, I take lisinopril for high blood pressure.

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

Have you tried massage? Or stretching? Maybe getting in a regular routine may help.

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
mike5678

I have tried massage with a hand heald massager and stretching exercises my doctor gave me.  However, after doing the exercises I started to have cramps in both legs whereas I was only having them in one leg.

Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

Your legs must be super tight. Were you told that you have restless leg syndrome? And I meant have you gotten them massaged by a massage therapist. I'm an MT and have come across those who get leg cramps in the middle of the night. They tend to have super tight legs. But I'm just wondering if your Dr has told you why?

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
mike5678

No, my doctors have not told me why I have leg cramps.  I tell them every time I go in to see them about the leg cramps but no one seems to know.  They gave me restless legs medicine I think because they didn't know what to give me.

Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

You could ask for a change in bp meds...there's tons to choose from.  My diruetic was doing the same to me...miserable way to spend the night and the only way to make it stop was to get up and walk around...not the solution I was looking for.  Now, I skip taking that med on Tues and Thurs and keep up with my supplements.  The problem has literally gone away, only some twinges now and then.  My bp is about 110/60.  Doctor approved the change.  I also take Lisinopril and a couple of others.

Talk to your doctor and see if he would allow you to do this. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mike5678

Thanks!  I will talk to my doctor and see if I can change my BP meds and see if that helps the leg cramp problem.

Advisor
ksollod
Total Posts: 430
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

One thing that has helped me is I drink 1 Litre of Diet Tonic Water each night some time between dinner and bedtime.  My sister had suggested 1 glass each night but I like the taste so I end up drinking he whole bottle.  :smileyhappy:

Kay

There's always a mountain in front of me,
Seems I'm always climbin' and fallin' and climbin'
But I keep on tryin'