Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,162
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

Joint pain

About 10 weeks ago, I started having pain in both knees at once.  The pain seemed to get gradually worse.  It was worst when getting up in the morning, and moving around seemed to help it.  After several weeks, I started also getting pain in the elbows and shoulders.  I went to the doctor, who prescribed Naproxin (Aleve), prescription strength (500 mg) morning and evening.  I took that for two weeks, then went to over-the-counter, 2 pills (220 mg each) morning and evening.  After two more weeks, I have cut that back to one pill each morning and evening.

With the different levels of anti-inflammatory drugs, it is a bit hard to tell if this is getting better or not, but I think my knees are somewhat better, and perhaps the elbows and shoulders are slowly getting better too, hard to say.  Now it is my hands that are where it is worst - they are swollen and stiff, particularly when I get up in the morning.  Soaking them in hot water seems to help some, but only for a little bit.  The thing that helps the most is movement.  Sleeping is difficult, as the pain gets worse when asleep, so I wake up in pain and cannot get back to sleep.

I asked my doctor to run blood tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis, and those tests came back negative.  My doctor thinks this is osteoarthritis.  My general impression of osteoarthritis is that it is caused by the wearing out of the joints, that it comes on gradually, and that problems in one joint don't mean you get the same problem in the same joint on the other side.  So this doesn't seem like what I have understood osteoarthritis to be, and I am somewhat concerned that my doctor doesn't know and just hung a lable on it.

Has anyone had any experience like this?  If so, do you know what this is, and what causes it?  Any good suggestions on how to make it better / ease the pain?  Are there any special problems for diabetics in taking a lot of Naproxin over an extended period of time?

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,270
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: Joint pain

Sorry to read this George, and I know virtually nothing about arthritis. There are others here who do, however.

I believe Naproxin is a non-steroidal anit-inflammatory drug, or NSAID,  like aspirin or ibuprofen. If that is correct, one danger from long term usage is potential kidney damage--in fact people who already have kidney damage are advised to avoid NSAIDs altogether.   That may not be an issue for you, but it is one to be aware of...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Advisor
booklover
Total Posts: 195
Registered on: ‎06-03-2012

You sound like me. I have the problem also in my hips and feet, too. I the doctor said I have fibromylgia. It is common with people who autoammune diseases and diabetes. Iam on a Butrans 20mcg per hour patch and the just started me on venlafaxine. (like cymbolta). Good Luck!

Leeann
Type 2
April 2012 A1C 6.5
Feb 2013 A1C 6.0
Feb 2014 A1C 5.6
Metformin 1000 2x day
Hashimoto thyroid
Thyroxine 50 mcg
pravasatin 20mg
depression from thyroid
Venlafaxine er 150 mg
GERD
dexilant 60mg
PCOS

Advisor
Carleen656
Total Posts: 378
Registered on: ‎05-11-2012

Hello, George -

I have experience with arthritis because I was diagnosed when I was 17 years old and am now a senior citizen.  Lots of years with constant pain.

I now have a rheumatologist who is fantastic.  She told me straight up that her job is not to "cure" me but to keep me on my feet and living a fulfulling life.  Yay!!!  I can do that!!!  But it's not as simple and it sounds.  I have learned that under NO circumstances am I to stop moving.  I have a well-outfitted home gym and have several routines of specific exercises for the joints that are in pain that day.  I take loads of Methotrexate and have no problems with that and it is very helpful.  My doctor ordered a whole battery of x-rays and found that my arthritis was actually arthritises.  The battery of x-rays involved 26 x-rays and all of the views revealed more and more joint issues.  At each visit, she asks me how long it takes me to get up and moving in the morning, watches me sit down and standup, watches me walk, moves all of my joints, and looks for inflammation.  (The inflammation in my feet and knees are a perfect barometer of my pain level at any given moment.)

I have psoriatic arthritis throughout my body (neck to toes) and osteoarthritis in certain specific joints in my hands.  

My experience with doctors has been that they want to prescribe pain pills instead of anti-inflammatories.  But my "medical team" has a handle on all of this and they work together.  When diabetes hit (1.5 years ago) I was totally destroyed.  Just what I didn't need - a progressive and eventually fatal disease - thrown into the mix.  More pills and the worry that something would rock the boat with the Methotrexate.  AND the issue that stress will make things worse because stress is inflammatory and will mess up not only my points but my glucose numbers.  Oh, joy...

In answer to your question about Naproxin, I stopped taking that many long years ago, well before diabetes so I don't know what impact it will have for a diabetic.  But my opinion is that you should get a bunch of x-rays to see exactly where and what arthritis you have.  A really good rheumatologist will order those and then proceed with medication that won't impact your diabetes.  My doctor has adjusted meds for me and now I don't have to be totally obsessed with the potential of destroying my innards.  

Since you said that your doctor doesn't seem to know what's what with you, my very first recommendation is to change doctors and get someone who will follow up with you.  And, I also add, don't go to an orthopaedist.  I was advised about that many  long years ago because a person with arthritis needs someone who can deal with the medical end of things and not the surgical end of things as his/her first line of treatment.

Best wishes on getting your pain down to a manageable level.  Living with constand pain is no fun.  (That that from a person who has been in the trenches with that!!!)

Carleen...
Listening for the Shout
1 Thes. 4:16-17
Valued Contributor
marty1955
Total Posts: 6,319
Registered on: ‎05-12-2013

George_M wrote:

About 10 weeks ago, I started having pain in both knees at once.  The pain seemed to get gradually worse.  It was worst when getting up in the morning, and moving around seemed to help it.  After several weeks, I started also getting pain in the elbows and shoulders.  I went to the doctor, who prescribed Naproxin (Aleve), prescription strength (500 mg) morning and evening.  I took that for two weeks, then went to over-the-counter, 2 pills (220 mg each) morning and evening.  After two more weeks, I have cut that back to one pill each morning and evening.

With the different levels of anti-inflammatory drugs, it is a bit hard to tell if this is getting better or not, but I think my knees are somewhat better, and perhaps the elbows and shoulders are slowly getting better too, hard to say.  Now it is my hands that are where it is worst - they are swollen and stiff, particularly when I get up in the morning.  Soaking them in hot water seems to help some, but only for a little bit.  The thing that helps the most is movement.  Sleeping is difficult, as the pain gets worse when asleep, so I wake up in pain and cannot get back to sleep.

I asked my doctor to run blood tests for Rheumatoid Arthritis, and those tests came back negative.  My doctor thinks this is osteoarthritis.  My general impression of osteoarthritis is that it is caused by the wearing out of the joints, that it comes on gradually, and that problems in one joint don't mean you get the same problem in the same joint on the other side.  So this doesn't seem like what I have understood osteoarthritis to be, and I am somewhat concerned that my doctor doesn't know and just hung a lable on it.

Has anyone had any experience like this?  If so, do you know what this is, and what causes it?  Any good suggestions on how to make it better / ease the pain?  Are there any special problems for diabetics in taking a lot of Naproxin over an extended period of time?

Good morning George!  There is an article in the May 2013 Diabetes Forecast Magazine that has some information regarding Arthritis, which includes a link to Arthritis.org, where you can read about all forms of the disease:  http://forecast.diabetes.org/joints-may2013.

Taking Naproxin has effects on kidneys and liver.  Why don't you do a drug interaction check for the Naproxin and all of the medications you take, especially if using a blood pressure medication. 

I suffer everyday, especially in the mornings with stiffness and pain.  An MRI showed severe arthritis in my back and back surgery did relieve some pain in the lumbar 4,5,6.  I also have it in my knees, hips, hands, and right ankle (due to being broken twice).  Wear and tear from doing plumbing for 25 years has caused the majority of my arthritis.  The other factor with me is hereditary, hip and knee arthritis is prevalent in my siblings.  I find that stretching and flexing is beneficial.  I also wear an ankle brace when walking. 

Hope others will have more helpful information for you. 

Be safe.

Marty    

"The road to success is always under construction."
- Lily Tomlin

01/2013 - diagnosed with T2 and hypothyroidism
A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
07/24/2013 - A1c 5.8 (bayernow)
09/21/2013 - A1c 5.6 (bayernow)
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
500 mg Metformin/1 per day
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Advisor
George_M

[ Edited ]

Hi, all.  Thanks for the kind and helpful responses.  I am going to be out of the country for two months starting next week, so I think I will just keep on with what I am doing until then and see what happens.  I think this is getting better on its own, so perhaps in another two months it will resolve itself.  If it does not, I will find a rheumatologist and see what is going on.  What is puzzling to me is the simultaneous onset in the same joint on each side of the body - both knees the same day, both shoulders on the same day a couple of days later, both elbows on the same day a couple of weeks after that, and both hands on the same day a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't know that arthritis could work like that.  I am guessing that this could be some kind of infection that is working its way around my body to the different sites, but who knows? 

I did a drug interaction check, but didn't come up with anything.  I also checked everything I take to see if this could be a side effect of one of the meds, and didn't see anything.  I see my doctor again Monday, just before I leave the country, and will ask her some of these same questions.  I will keep you all posted.

George

A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Valued Contributor
marty1955

George, have you been bitten by a tick, lately?

- Lily Tomlin

A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143
10/03/2013 - 141
12/05/2013 - 138
Blood Pressure 12/05/2013 - 118/60
T2 paternal grandmother, father, two sisters, my current and my ex husband

Advisor
George_M

marty1955 wrote:

George, have you been bitten by a tick, lately?

I don't think so, I usually am pretty careful, but I will discuss this with my doctor.  Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of that.

George

A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight 10/01/2013 187
Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 4,494
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

George_M wrote:

I'm really sorry to hear about this, George.

My own personal experience (which a "hand doctor"--orthopedic surgeon-- said was a result of osteoarthritis) is that several knuckles on both hands, multiple fingers, suddenly "bloomed" and got bigger. That happened several years ago and there's been no pain (knock on wood) or change since then--maybe this is "coming on gradually"? My impression is that osteoarthritis can show up a number of different ways, so maybe your doctor is not just putting a label on what's going on with you, but I'm certainly no expert on OA--just thought I'd let you know about my experience with OA.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (February 2014): 5.2
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Valued Contributor
marty1955

Good.  When I read your last post it hit me that I had read about Lyme disease causing joint pain especially in the knees, but also jumping from joint to joint.  And, that can occur several months after being infected. 

- Lily Tomlin

A1c - 7.2
04/16/2013 - A1c 6.1
10/10/2013 - A1c 5.7
Low Carb
Beginning weight - 183
08/27/2013 - 143