Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,593
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Re: Is it rude to start a "secondary market" for diabetic test strips?

Trisha no need to apologize. I did not notice it until today, even though I looked at it the day he posted it.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

There are signs all over a city near by; attached to utility poles.  They offer to buy unused test strips.  Of course the sellers are getting them free from insurance companies and this guy knows it.  The sellers are the ones comitting insurance fraud.  But in my mind, he's receiving stolen goods.

I think his use of the word 'rude' is a bit weird. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

TestStripP wrote:

There is a business in my town that sells tires. They get them from Canada. It seems Canada requires automobile owners to change their tires every year, whether they want/need to or not. This company in our town sells these tires for general public use. Are they commiting fraud?

Hmmm Phil, where on earth did you get that information? I live in Canada and have lived in 3 of the ten provinces here. There is no such requirement here. We have just as much freedom to drive on bald tires as you do.

I would never buy strips from any place but a respected retail busisness such as a pharmacy.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
forummoderator1
Total Posts: 194
Topics: 40
High Fives: 32
Solutions: 5
Registered on: ‎11-19-2009

As a few of you have noted, this topic originated in the Ideas section of our community.  It was moved here by the Moderation Team because it did not belong in that section and because we thought it was an interesting topic worthy of discussion. 

In the process, we inadvertently allowed a link to a commerical web site to slip through.  Those references are in the process of being removed, because they are not appropriate here. 

Please feel free to continue your discussion, and to focus on ideas, not personal attack, if you should happen to disagree with another poster.

Forum Moderator 1
Valued Contributor
ajsammycat
Total Posts: 969
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

[ Edited ]

Interestingly, Kelly Rowlings of the ADA posted a link to an Albany Times-Union article about this very issue. Please read through the article carefully and completely.The author makes several points you ought to consider before you become too involved in this gray market. Particularly important are the points he makes about the California couple that have been arrested for selling over $1million in test strips without a license and the danger some of the buyers have faced while obtaining their "product". Is it worth your life or freedom (or both) to make a few bucks?

Angela

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,492
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I'll buck the trend just a little here--I don't think these people are committing fraud necessarily.

If you wanted to say they are an accessory to fraud, then perhaps so in most cases.  The fraud is committed by those who deliberately obtain more strips than they need in order to sell them. I don't have a problem with someone who has strips left over because they or their insurance company switched brands, or because someone with diabetes died, leaving behind a bunch of test strips.  There are legitimate reasons for having extras, and selling them is not a crime, and in fact can be a win/win for both buyer and seller.  But those exceptions are undoubtedly a tiny percentage of the market.

The ones being sold on eBay and similar sites are clearly fraud if the person has done it more than once. And the people who make more than a one-time sale to companies like the guy who started the thread are committing fraud.  Fraud which probably does not increase the cost of test strips, but which very well may affect how willingly insurance providers meet the needs of people who need them, and what the co-pays turn out to be.

Needless to say, when people lie about expiration dates, or the conditions under which strips have been stored, then that is fraudulent.

But I think it is stretching it to say that companies that seek out unused strips in good condition, do not lie about their dates of condition, and who sell them relatively cheaply are committing fraud. I think it is very unfortunate that we have such limited access to health care, and that profit margins on manufacturing strips are so high that people cannot afford to get them directly from their drug stores, but that is not the fault of the people re-selling the strips. 

Of course that does not mean that any one re-seller is doing it to help people rather than simply to make a buck. Some probably are better than others--and who knows how the guy who started the thread rates there. Undoubtedly he came here in part hoping to make a sale (hence his link), but he also raised an important topic for our consideration- a gray area in our health care delivery system.  Over the years the ADA has fought to have 46 states require insurers to include test strips in all of their health plans, and this will go nationwide (or has it already?) in the new health care reform that takes effect in 2014. Hopefully that will limit the ability to provide huge co-pays, and hopefully that plan, or some alternative, will help everyone who needs coverage to obtain it.  When that happens, businesses like these will no longer have room to operate because people's needs will be met more directly.  Whether you are for or against the specific health care reform passed, I think we all can agree that  the availability of strips to everyone who needs them, in the quantity needed, is long overdue.

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Established Advisor
gphxgphx
Total Posts: 833
Registered on: ‎03-24-2011

Wrote this hours ago but when I went to post the message board was down. Fortunately it was still in my clipboard this evening.

I see this differently than most apparently as well. Yes, there certainly can be insurance fraud involved in some cases. In others there is none at all. One of my local thrift stores is run by a nursing association. I've frequently found unopened unexpired boxes of test strips there for as little as 69 cents a box. These essentially come from patients who expired of various causes or were moved from an in home nursing situation to a nursing home. Rather than see them thrown in the trash these nurses had the foresight to donate them to the store inventory so someone such as myself who finds them to be expensive can afford them. Some of those available on Ebay may be the result of similar situations as well. Extra strips can also result from a change in meters such as happens when a doctor requests someone switch to a meter from which they can download data or a doctor hands out free meter and strip samples. There are all kinds of reasons for surplus strips.

The problem with labeling it all fraud is one of the possible implications of a crackdown would be to require a prescription for all strips as is currently the case in some other countries. I don't know about anyone else but without insurance the cost of a visit to the physician added onto the cost of strips would make them completely unaffordable. This would be a disaster for many. Let's be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,593
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

gphxgphx wrote:

Wrote this hours ago but when I went to post the message board was down. Fortunately it was still in my clipboard this evening.

I see this differently than most apparently as well. Yes, there certainly can be insurance fraud involved in some cases. In others there is none at all. One of my local thrift stores is run by a nursing association. I've frequently found unopened unexpired boxes of test strips there for as little as 69 cents a box. These essentially come from patients who expired of various causes or were moved from an in home nursing situation to a nursing home. Rather than see them thrown in the trash these nurses had the foresight to donate them to the store inventory so someone such as myself who finds them to be expensive can afford them. Some of those available on Ebay may be the result of similar situations as well. Extra strips can also result from a change in meters such as happens when a doctor requests someone switch to a meter from which they can download data or a doctor hands out free meter and strip samples. There are all kinds of reasons for surplus strips.

The problem with labeling it all fraud is one of the possible implications of a crackdown would be to require a prescription for all strips as is currently the case in some other countries. I don't know about anyone else but without insurance the cost of a visit to the physician added onto the cost of strips would make them completely unaffordable. This would be a disaster for many. Let's be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I stand behind what I said if a person puts them on eBay or another site, it maybe fraud against the insurance companies and Medicare since they may have paid for the strips. Now if that person donates them to a charity and the charity sells the strips on eBay or a thrift store, that is a different story.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

On 9/5/14 had amputation of my right leg, below the knee.

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery (not being taken at this time).
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol.
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP (to be taken only if BP is over 120).
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Responder
BeraJack
Total Posts: 14
Registered on: ‎02-18-2012

Fraud????....ROFLMAO...You better consult an attorney before accusing someone of fraud...You have absolutely no understanding of the law.

Fraud is intentional misrepresentation to gain monetary advantage.

Perhaps you should look up Liable.

Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

Even if you ARE diabetic, which I doubt, I find your posts to be offensive.

BeraJack wrote:

Fraud????....ROFLMAO...You better consult an attorney before accusing someone of fraud...You have absolutely no understanding of the law.

Fraud is intentional misrepresentation to gain monetary advantage.

Perhaps you should look up Liable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------