Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,389
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

Increase Glycogen Storage with Exercise?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,569
Topics: 74
High Fives: 866
Solutions: 104
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Interesting, but I"m not sure what I think of it.

He's talking about glycogen.  Glycogen is a a molecule that is very similar to glucose.  We know that when glucose is stored in our liver, it is stored as glycogen.  When it is needed for energy between meals, or if a person has a "liver dump", the glycogen is changed back to glucose and sent out into the blood.

The other thing that we know and talk about frequently is that exercise helps to unlock the muscles cells and let glucose in.  We say that exercise helps to get the glucose out of the blood and into the muscles because it reduces insulin resistance.  That is, it makes insulin work more effectively. 

The part that is new to me is that Dr. Mark Graves is saying that when glucose is stored in the muscles, it is stored there as glycogen, just like it is stored as glycogen in the liver.  That may be perfectly true, but I've just never heard it expressed that way before, or at least I've never noticed it..

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Responder
cathy6254
Total Posts: 155
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

I have wicked DP - avg 150.  I thought DP was caused by the release of glucagon overnight. 

If exercise causes glucagon to be stored, could too much exercise be producing too much stored glucagon and be contributing to my DP?

I exercise moderately - avg. 60 minutes/day. And I'm skinny.  I always through these were good things relative to controlling diabetes.

I'm confused (nothing new!)

DX 2006 7.3 - Current A1c=7.2, 4 yr avg. = 6.7 - Glumetza 2000mg/day, Apidra, Levemir
mollythed
Total Posts: 5,569
Topics: 74
High Fives: 866
Solutions: 104
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

First of all, the terms are confusing:
  • glucose is a sugar
  • glycogen is a molecule that looks like a bunch of glucose molecules strung together in chains.  It can easily be broken apart into glucose molecules.  That process is called glycogenesis.
  • glucagon is a hormone that is sort of the opposite of insulin because instead of helping to store glucose, it makes it available again.  It's the hormone that makes the liver turn glycogen back into glucose and send it out into the blood.
I've done a little more reading this morning, and yes, apparently when glucose is stored in our muscles, it is stored there as glycogen. 

No, too much exercise will not lead to too much stored glycogen in the liver.  The doctor in the video clip is talking about glucose stored as glycogen in the muscles, not glucose stored as glycogen in the liver.

I really don't understand it all.  Somehow, extra glucose that isn't needed in either muscles or liver can be turned into fat and stored for future use, but that is beyond the stuff I think I have figured out.

"Molly" (aka mollythed)
Type 2 diabetes diagnosed in 1995, now managed with Lantus, Humalog and Metformin; diet and exercise.
My husband and three adult sons also have type 2 diabetes.

Frequent Responder
cathy6254

DX 2006 7.3 - Current A1c=7.2, 4 yr avg. = 6.7 - Glumetza 2000mg/day, Apidra, Levemir
Frequent Responder
cathy6254

Ok - so

the glucose that causes DP comes from the liver not the muscles, and exercise stores glycogen in the muscles not the liver.  So too much exercise is OK - doesn't cause DP.  That's good.

Thanks!  Have a good holiday!

Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,383
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

Molly thanks for the information. I hear those words all the time but did not know their meaning except for glucose.
James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,420

i  See it slightly differently.

80% of the glucose stored in your body, as glycogen, is stored in your muscles and organs, and about 20% in your liver. The glucose is stored there to provide the energy needed for exercise, or standing up, or even lifting the remote (real exercise, of course, uses more of that stored glucose).

So when you exercise,  you are creating a void in those muscle cells, which want more glucose for future endeavors. That is what opens them up to downloading more sugar from the blood, and that is why exercise lowers blood sugar. Depending on the intensity and duration of that exercise, it can take up to 24 hours or even longer to replenish that local supply of glucose in your muscles, so exercise has a downward pressure on blood glucose for that entire period.

It also stands to reason that the more muscle you have, the more room for storage there is, though it might take more exercise to use up what you have stored.

Blood sugar that cannot be converted to glycogen for storage in the liver or muscles is converted to fat--that is why carbs cause higher triglycerides.  But it is not just carbs, as protein is converted to blood glucose in 4-6 hours and dietary fat in 10 hours--so an excess of any of these can result in conversion to fat, which puts on the pounds.

Of course when blood sugar tops 180 all bets are off, and the kidneys start removing it from the blood, at which point the glucose in the blood is no longer utilized for energy, thus causing unexplained weight loss, along with excessive urination and dehydration....
another spell-check gem-- I left the space out between the words inthose, and spell check was ready to change it to nuhouse.  since it missed the extra space in the word before that, if I had just clicked without thinking , the sentence would now read : So when you exercise,  you are creating a void nut house
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Frequent Responder
cathy6254

Thanks Morris - I've heard people say that weight/strength training was as or more important than cardio to manage blood sugar.  I finally understand why.

I do primarily cardio & it does have an immediate effect on my blood sugar levels, but now that I understand how muscles work to store glucose, I'm going to add weight training exercises.

I didn't know about the 180..  So if your blood sugar level is >180 and you exercise - what happens?  I'm asking because I have a problem with DP.  My FBG averages 150 and after eating minimal carbs like 2 eggs, it can go over 200.  I;ve tried eating more carbs and it just goes higher.  Today for instance, FBG=122, great I thought, ate 2 eggs - BS=220.  I exercise immediately after eating, but since it's over 180 what is my body using for energy?  Today it came down to 178 after 25 minutes of cardio, and an hour later it was 140.
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,420

Hi Cathy,

Exercise is recommended to bring down blood sugar levels up to 250 if you have ketones in your blood, and even as high as 400 w T2 if you don't.  Different sources vary on when you avoid exercise, but  they all recommend exercise above 180.  It will do its job when you are that high.

Where the kidneys come into play and the other consequences there is when you are constantly over 180.  If it is  a brief excursion after a meal, but comes down quickly, even if the kidney is filtering out the sugar from your blood, it is quickly done, and you do';t get that dehydrated. If you have ever been in the 200s for a long period of time you know what I am talking about--unquenchable thrist and all the rest.
Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...