Advisor
skwerly
Total Posts: 132
Registered on: ‎10-03-2011

If you take Januvia or Janumet

There is a discount card that will save you up to $100 per refill, good for 12 refills.  To be eligible, you have to be  cash paying or privately insured.  This was in the advertising in my local paper, and the website to check it out is

www.activatethecard.com/6231

Since I have a large deductible and it will roll over before I meet it for this year, definitely will be a help to me!

Skwerly
T2 diagnosed 8/11.
A1C 10.1
11/11 5.1
2/12 5.3
Metformin/500 x 2
Lisinopril 10 mg X1
Simvastatin 20 mg X1
lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,994
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: If you take Januvia or Janumet

skwerly wrote:

There is a discount card that will save you up to $100 per refill, good for 12 refills.  To be eligible, you have to be  cash paying or privately insured.  This was in the advertising in my local paper, and the website to check it out is

Since I have a large deductible and it will roll over before I meet it for this year, definitely will be a help to me!

Let me know how this actually works out for you.  If it is in fact legitimate, I'll add it to the "Resource" thread at the top of the board.

Lizzy 

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

Advisor
skwerly

I printed out my card, and it is through Merck.  I am going to check with my pharmacy too.  Also, I am going to see if it is cheaper for me to get Januvia separate from the metformin component of Janumet.  My pharmacy offers metformin for free.

Skwerly
T2 diagnosed 8/11.
A1C 10.1
11/11 5.1
2/12 5.3
Metformin/500 x 2
Lisinopril 10 mg X1
Simvastatin 20 mg X1
Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,710
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

These kinds of cards are very useful at the beginning of the year, when you have to meet your deductible for drugs. Generally the insurance company will pay less until you meet your deductible of $35, %00, 750--mine goes up to 875 next year.  They do that by making you pay for the drugs until you meet that total.

But when you use one of these drug company issued cards, your deductible in effect is paid by Merck, or whatever company has issued the card. The insurance company does not get the information that your payment has been subsidized, so that $100 discount goes towards your deductible.  If you use it say in January and February and have a $500 deductible, you will actually only be $300 out of pocket before your insurance kicks in...

In some cases the drug companies issue these cards to keep you using their brand name drug instead of a generic. Lipitor for example has a card now that reduces your deductible to $4, the same as if you took a generic version of Lipitor or another equivalent $4 statin. The drug company doesn't know you are using the card, and is stuck paying the much higher rate for Lipitor than they would for one of the generics...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

Skwerly

Thank you! We are self-employed and pay a high deductible to keep our health insurance cost (which is high!) down a bit-

I printed out the coupon, and will hopefully be able to use it on my refills of Janumet.

Thanks again so very much!

Sue

skwerly wrote:

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Super Advisor
suesmith
Total Posts: 406
Registered on: ‎09-27-2011

A question-does anyone know what/why the benefit of the sitigliptin is with the metformin? I am paying a lot for a 30 day supply of Janumet, (did print out the coupon, hopefully that'll work!)!

Thanks Skwerly, for mentioning that

Sue :smileyhappy:

Type 2
1000mg/day Janumet
DX: September 2011: A1C 13.6 FBG 389
July 2012: A1c 5.6 FBG 84
Advisor
skwerly

From what I understand, the Januvia helps keep the liver from making too much glucose.  It works with the metformin (increasing insulin sensitivity).  Does anyone else have a better explanation?

Skwerly
T2 diagnosed 8/11.
A1C 10.1
11/11 5.1
2/12 5.3
Metformin/500 x 2
Lisinopril 10 mg X1
Simvastatin 20 mg X1
Responder
becky60
Total Posts: 36
Registered on: ‎01-01-2010

I have been taking it for years. With my insurance it  is costing me $50 a month. That would be great! I already printed it out. If I remember I will go ask CVS if they accept it tomorrow.  Yeah, new pair of shoes for Mama!

Advisor
skwerly

I just used the discount card at Publix Pharmacy, and saved $100 (roughly half the cost) of my refill.

Skwerly
T2 diagnosed 8/11.
A1C 10.1
11/11 5.1
2/12 5.3
Metformin/500 x 2
Lisinopril 10 mg X1
Simvastatin 20 mg X1