Super Advisor
girlsaylor
Total Posts: 498
Registered on: ‎08-01-2013

I'm not a drug pusher, but Cymbalta has now come out of Patent!

Since depression often affects persons with T2, I thought this might be helpful to somebody.

After a small patent extension, the expensive drug, Cymbalta, is now available in generic form! If anybody here has been taking one of the older antidepressants, due to the cost of Cymbalta, despite his or her doctor suggesting the Cymbalta initially, take heart. If you are currently on an SSRI, and still experiencing depression symptoms, trying a SNRI, (Cymbalta, or duloxetine is one), might make things just a little better for your depressive symptoms. That's up to you and your doctor, of course, but personally, with heavy family history of depression and suicide, I need the best antidepressant treatment that works for me, regardless of cost. I seem to respond better to the SNRI therapy, rather than the SSRIs. Just a heads up here. Perhaps this is true for some others.

I take Cymbalta/duloxetine for two reasons - depression, and fibromyalgia. It helped my fibro, when taken in conjunction with tramadol, and a small dose of amitriptylene at bedtime. And the Cymbalta/duloxetine is sheer relief for lifting my own depression.

So, now I just have to wait out the Lyrica patent for my diabetic neuropathy. It's the last one I currently take that's still horribly expensive under my health insurance. Benicar isn't as expensive a copay, for some reason. It's just a doggone shame that the American worker has to bear the patent cost of medications.

Girlsaylor
If you are willing to let someone lead you, make sure he is worthy.

Early T2 Diabetes (a Lizzy-ism)
A1C 5.7 as of April 2013
A1c 5.6 Dec 2013

Weight loss:
April 2013 195 #
August 2013 191#
December 3, 2013 171#
Super Advisor
lecloe
Total Posts: 1,159
Registered on: ‎08-30-2013

Re: I'm not a drug pusher, but Cymbalta has now come out of Patent!

girlsaylor wrote:

Since depression often affects persons with T2, I thought this might be helpful to somebody.

After a small patent extension, the expensive drug, Cymbalta, is now available in generic form! If anybody here has been taking one of the older antidepressants, due to the cost of Cymbalta, despite his or her doctor suggesting the Cymbalta initially, take heart. If you are currently on an SSRI, and still experiencing depression symptoms, trying a SNRI, (Cymbalta, or duloxetine is one), might make things just a little better for your depressive symptoms. That's up to you and your doctor, of course, but personally, with heavy family history of depression and suicide, I need the best antidepressant treatment that works for me, regardless of cost. I seem to respond better to the SNRI therapy, rather than the SSRIs. Just a heads up here. Perhaps this is true for some others.

I take Cymbalta/duloxetine for two reasons - depression, and fibromyalgia. It helped my fibro, when taken in conjunction with tramadol, and a small dose of amitriptylene at bedtime. And the Cymbalta/duloxetine is sheer relief for lifting my own depression.

So, now I just have to wait out the Lyrica patent for my diabetic neuropathy. It's the last one I currently take that's still horribly expensive under my health insurance. Benicar isn't as expensive a copay, for some reason. It's just a doggone shame that the American worker has to bear the patent cost of medications.

Thanks for the heads up GS.  Maybe now I can get Cymbalta at the VA.  I suspect it might help with my neuropathy pain.  I don't want to take Lyrica because one of the three most common side effect is weight gain.  I'm trying to lose weight.

Lyndol

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. Author Unknown.

T2 since 1-2013
A1C 6.4 8-2012
6.0 1-2013
6.0 7-2013
6.4 12-2013 :-(
Hypertension
Coronary Artery Disease
Low T testosterone injectable 200 mg IM every other week
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Lantus 15 units at bedtime
Vit B 1 (Thiamin) 250 mg daily
Super Advisor
girlsaylor
Total Posts: 498
Registered on: ‎08-01-2013

Lyndol, let us know how it goes for you, if you can get the Cymbalta, and after a trial, how it works for you. I know what you mean about the Lyrica causing weight gain. It's a side effect I definitely don't need either. It's a shame that weight gain is a possible side effect of so many medications. I have experienced amazing relief for the diabetic neuropathy, with the Lyrica, but still, trying to lose weight is so hard. Bah, modern life can be such a puzzle.

Girlsaylor
If you are willing to let someone lead you, make sure he is worthy.

Early T2 Diabetes (a Lizzy-ism)
A1C 5.7 as of April 2013
A1c 5.6 Dec 2013

Weight loss:
April 2013 195 #
August 2013 191#
December 3, 2013 171#
Super Advisor
lecloe
Total Posts: 1,159
Registered on: ‎08-30-2013

girlsaylor wrote:

Lyndol, let us know how it goes for you, if you can get the Cymbalta, and after a trial, how it works for you. I know what you mean about the Lyrica causing weight gain. It's a side effect I definitely don't need either. It's a shame that weight gain is a possible side effect of so many medications. I have experienced amazing relief for the diabetic neuropathy, with the Lyrica, but still, trying to lose weight is so hard. Bah, modern life can be such a puzzle.

I see my shrink in about two weeks and already written myself a note to ask him about the generic Cymbalta.  I'll let you know how it goes.  And it is a shame so many drugs cause weight gain.  Believe it or not, he has me on a short trial of Ritalin, an amphetamine, right now to try to jump start me out of "my funk' as he puts it.  Haven't noticed any decreased appetite with it either, but it's a minimum dose and only one dose per day.

Lyndol

Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. Author Unknown.

T2 since 1-2013
A1C 6.4 8-2012
6.0 1-2013
6.0 7-2013
6.4 12-2013 :-(
Hypertension
Coronary Artery Disease
Low T testosterone injectable 200 mg IM every other week
Lisinopril 2.5 mg daily
Lantus 15 units at bedtime
Vit B 1 (Thiamin) 250 mg daily