Visitor
leku29
Total Posts: 5
Registered on: ‎11-07-2012
Helpful Response

I am unable to bring down the fasting glucose level

With proper diet and exercise within the last six months, I have been able to bring down my A1C level from 7.5 to 6.5 and fasting blood glucose level to 135 - 145 range from 150-165. However, I am unable to bring down the fasting glucose level near to 100. Even if I go to bed with a glucose level of 120 to 140, my fasting glucose level doesn't go below? Any suggestions on how to reduce the fasting glucose levels naturally by 30 to 40 points. I am useing GLUMETZA XR 1000mg ( metformin ) with break fast.

Trusted Contributor
morrisolder
Total Posts: 10,634
Registered on: ‎11-28-2009

Re: I am unable to bring down the fasting glucose level

Fasting numbers are the hardest battles for many of us.

Here are some ideas that might help...

Not sure if it is mentioned in that article, but more Glumetza--you are on a fairly small dosage--may help, as metformin primarily affects the liver, which is pretty related to high morning numbers...

Morris

Diagnosed Type 2, with an A1c of 11.4 in 2003; averaging a 5.0 A1c since then with diet, exercise and Glipizide XL + meds for blood pressure and cholesterol. 
A bit dated, but scroll down on this page if you want to know more ...

Trusted Contributor
maryd98
Total Posts: 6,006
Registered on: ‎08-07-2012

leku29 wrote:

With proper diet and exercise within the last six months, I have been able to bring down my A1C level from 7.5 to 6.5 and fasting blood glucose level to 135 - 145 range from 150-165. However, I am unable to bring down the fasting glucose level near to 100. Even if I go to bed with a glucose level of 120 to 140, my fasting glucose level doesn't go below? Any suggestions on how to reduce the fasting glucose levels naturally by 30 to 40 points. I am useing GLUMETZA XR 1000mg ( metformin ) with break fast.

Hi, leku,

Although 135-145 is high for FBG, I'm wondering if it's partly a matter of continuing your new regimen and having a little patience. Were you diagnosed six months ago? And in that time your FBG has gone down so that now it's usually 135-145 (and when you started testing it was 150-165)? If this is correct, then you've definitely made progress in the past six months (which is actually not very long to have been managing your diabetes, though it may feel like a long time).

I notice your FBG is pretty close to the same range as your bedtime 120-140 (which is also a bit high). It can take a while for your numbers to get to a "normal" level, and as Morris said, the FBG are often the hardest to lower or normalize.

My two cents' worth is not to stress out about this. Keep up the good work that's helped with your A1c (and your FBG, 'cause you have made progress). Maybe you could increase your exercise routine--that often helps, especially when you're doing well with your diet (and meds).

I wish you all the best! Keep us posted on your progress, okay?

Till next time,
maryd98
the diabetic formerly known as 14 and counting, aka Mary
-----------------------------------
Diagnosed T2 July 1998
First A1C (July 1998): 13.6
First BG (July 1998): 537
Latest A1C (August 2014): 5.7
On oral meds for about 9 months after diagnosis
"Just" diet and exercise for 15+ years
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,502
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

leku29 wrote:

When is your last exercise of the day?  If you can get your bedtime level down, with a little more exercise, then your next morning level should also be down, since it seems to stay the same.  That's what mine does, too, and so when I find my bedtime level higher than I want my fasting level to be, I try to do a little more exercise.  I lift 6-pound dumbbells, or do extra stair step-ups, or other resistance moves at that time rather than cardio exercise, because I want faster results at that time.  I aim for close to 100.  Same with post-meal level.  If I don't get it down, it's not going to be down.  May need more exertion.  It's the exertion that gets the heart rate up, the metabolism going, and the blood glucose down.  May need more than the usual amount, because body gets used to a certain amount, and fitness levels increase, so have to keep up with increased fitness level.  What are the details of your exercise plan?  Are you spreading it out over the day and evening -- after meals?

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Visitor
leku29

Thank you very much for helpful suggestions. I do exercise at 12pm to 1pm (Lunch time) then 1.30pm I have lunch.

I try to burn 300 to 400 calories. I choose any of the cardio exercises like treadmill, elliptical, Zumba or jogging. I don’t do any exercise at bed time.

I am vegetarian. So what kind of food I can choose lover my BG down.

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,272
Topics: 214
High Fives: 1,668
Solutions: 185
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

leku29 wrote:

Thank you very much for helpful suggestions. I do exercise at 12pm to 1pm (Lunch time) then 1.30pm I have lunch.

I try to burn 300 to 400 calories. I choose any of the cardio exercises like treadmill, elliptical, Zumba or jogging. I don’t do any exercise at bed time.

G'day and welcome.

You got that slightly backwards. There are very few, if any, foods I have found that may lower BGs. The only one that does that for me is glucomann/konjac and I would find it hard to eat that very often.

The better question is "what kind of food, and in what portions sizes, can I choose to not raise my BG to excessive levels".

I recommend you ask that question  of your meter about an hour after every meal. Read this to see what I mean: Test, Review, Adjust

Here are some ideas that may help with your earlier question on fasting blood glucose: I Ate Nothing! Why Are My BGs high?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
powerwalker2
Total Posts: 5,502
Registered on: ‎11-02-2009

[ Edited ]

leku29 wrote:

Food is just the fuel.  Exercise is what gets BG down.  That's good exercise you're doing, Leku.  Would test after your exercise and see if you're getting it down where you want it, and where you want it to end up after meals, before bed, and fasting.  (I aim for 100.  What number are you aiming for?)  Would also try reversing the order of the lunch and exercise, because you may not get the best results if you're low on fuel.  Do you have anything at all to eat before exercise?  If not, then your liver may be releasing extra glucose to cover the exercise.  (This is not a problem in those who do not have diabetes, but for those of us who do have diabetes, we have more trouble dealing with it, due to BG going higher, and staying high longer.)  Increasing your metformin may help a little bit with that, too, so would discuss it with doc.

Nancy ~ T2 since '98 ~ 16 yrs ~ D&E 11yrs ~ treadmill, elliptical, bike 15-20 minutes 3x/day (including evening), dumbbells/resistance training, small portions heart-healthy high-fiber/low-fat fuel/carb-counting, 500mg Glucophage XR x4, 2.5mg Glucotrol XL x6, 6000IU Vit. D/day ~ RHR 53 ~ A1cs mainly between 5.9-6.9 av. 6.5
Visitor
leku29

Hi Friends, Good new for me...:: fasting BG levelsare controlled.. My endocrinologist prescribed for me victoza injection 1.25ml once a day. Just I started from 15 days 0.6ml. Its really miracle changes. Now my fasting BG levels are between 110 to 115. Even my regular BG also in very good control what ever I eat (but still I am in good diet control only and doing regular exercise) .I am so happy, because now I am feeling like non diabetic person. Present my medication are GLUMETZA XR 1000mg ( metformin ) with break fast and viztoza 0.6 ml injection once a day.

Frequent Advisor
Ralph
Total Posts: 319
Registered on: ‎11-22-2009

leku29 wrote:

Cardio alone usually does not get the desired results, adding some resistance workouts with dumbbells, kettlebells, or stretch bands will produce better results overall for BG control as well as weight management.

Advisor
George_M
Total Posts: 2,233
Registered on: ‎11-16-2012

leku29 wrote:

Hi, leku29.  I was diagnosed 3 months ago.  I thought my glucose level would go down between bedtime and morning.  My body would surely burn some of that glucose while I was asleep, right?  Wrong, it doesn't seem to do that, and my glucose level seems to stay the same or even go up a bit overnight.  A lot of diabetics seem to have trouble with that morning number.  I test before and after each meal, and whatever number is lowest, that's my low number for the day.  :smileywink:

I have had good results lowering my numbers with a very low carb diet.  My diet is much lower in carbs than was suggested by the dietician my doctor sent me to.  :smileymad:  I try to eat between 30-60 grams of carbs per day.  I imagine it is very difficult to eat a low carb diet as a vegetarian.

I am glad that you have found a solution that works for you. 

George

Diagnosed T2 9/12/12, A1C 10.1
Metformin 500 mg. 1 x daily since 9/17/2012
A1C 12/13/2012 5.6
A1C 3/15/2013 5.4
A1C 11/29/2013 5.5
Weight at diagnosis 9/12/2012 288
Weight 10/01/2013 187