Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy
Total Posts: 2,147
Registered on: ‎01-04-2012

Hypoglycemia or Hot Flashes?

Both symptoms are very similar.  Is there one certain way to tell the difference?  Anyone?

lizzylou
Total Posts: 13,930
Topics: 565
High Fives: 1,989
Solutions: 142
Registered on: ‎10-31-2009

Re: Hypoglycemia or Hot Flashes?

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Both symptoms are very similar.  Is there one certain way to tell the difference?  Anyone?

If your female would be a good place to start! :smileyvery-happy:

The only way to tell for sure is to test.  If you're "of a certain age" either is possible.

Lizzy

Knowledge is Power!

Here's some useful links, click on the titles

Testing 101

All About Carbs

Resources For The Un-insured and Discount Medicine and Equipment

LizzyLou Videos

Lizzy's Blog
for lots more  

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,040
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,591
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Your meter will answer your question.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

Hey, guys!  I was trying to figure out the easy way of knowing WITHOUT testing, yet, once again.  LOL

Frequent Advisor
my3kids
Total Posts: 284
Registered on: ‎01-15-2010

Yes, the best way to know for sure is by testing your BS. I was diagnosed with diabetes a little over 2 years ago, and have had hot flashes for almost 6 years now.:smileymad: I can usually tell the difference now, but thats only because I've experienced both for over 2 years. When my BS is low, not only do I sweat, I feel light headed and get dizzy, kind of like I will pass out soon if I don't eat or drink something to raise my BS.  When I'm having a hot flash, I start sweating, my face gets beat red and I feel a warm senseation from the neck up, like my head is in an oven! Plus my hot flashes subside within a 2-3 minutes. With a low, I don't feel better until I eat or drink something to raise my BS. By the way, my Dr. told me my hot flashes could last for as long as 10 years or so, not what I wanted to hear, UGH! 

Linda
Type 2
Dx 1/11/10 with a  A1c of 9.7
Glucotrol 5 mg 2x daily
Metformin 1000 mg 2x daily

Does running late count as exercise :smileywink:
Valued Contributor
maplesyrup
Total Posts: 4,364
Registered on: ‎11-14-2009

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Alan beat me to the answer there but Linda (My3kids) gave you more of the info you want.

The few periods of hot flashes I had through menopause were fleeting and non threatening. Some lows for me were very scary and all required some immediate action.

Hope you don't experience to many of either.

Dianne

Dianne

Diagnosed as type 2 in 2005 with an A1c of 9.1

Started with metformin and a low dose of an ARB for blood pressure. Added a sulfonylurea (a med that helps my pancreas produce my own insulin) Also a low dose of Crestor to lower my cholesterol.
After 7 years I could no longer tolerate metformin so am doing my best to keep control with a max dose of the sulfonylurea and lots of walking, some swimming.
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

Alan,

So when you said to test, you meant my blood sugar and not my temperature, right?  LOL  I'd rather stick a thermometer under my tongue than to prick my fingers any day!

alan_s
Total Posts: 15,040
Topics: 208
High Fives: 1,591
Solutions: 180
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Alan,

So when you said to test, you meant my blood sugar and not my temperature, right?  LOL  I'd rather stick a thermometer under my tongue than to prick my fingers any day!

'fraid so :smileyhappy:
Is testing hurting you? Have you read this: Painless Pricks ?

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey(latest: Catering For Different Tastes When Cooking)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

LilMissDaisy wrote:

lizzylou wrote:

If your female would be a good place to start! :smileyvery-happy:

The only way to tell for sure is to test.  If you're "of a certain age" either is possible.

Lizzy

I'm afraid I'm no way near that "certain age", but due to a very early hysterectomy in my life, I'm having to deal with many 'female' problems that women my age don't have to.  Bummer!  The other day, I got the shakes, cold sweat, diziness, just weird.  I didn't know what it was...

Super Advisor
LilMissDaisy

LilMissDaisy wrote:

Alan,

alan_s wrote:
'fraid so :smileyhappy:
Is testing hurting you? Have you read this: Painless Pricks ?

I flinch every time...I hate needles!  I don't know if I'll ever get used to it.