Responder
rikalintz
Total Posts: 51
Registered on: ‎02-07-2012

How to take Metformin

I currently am taking 2000mg. of metformin.   My doctor told me that I could take them both after dinner.  I've talked to other people and they take one in the morning and one after dinner.  Does it matter when u take it?  It seems like if you spread it out it would keep your BG on a more even keel.

Advisor
ronaka
Total Posts: 950
Registered on: ‎12-24-2011

Re: How to take Metformin

rikalintz wrote:

I currently am taking 2000mg. of metformin.   My doctor told me that I could take them both after dinner.  I've talked to other people and they take one in the morning and one after dinner.  Does it matter when u take it?  It seems like if you spread it out it would keep your BG on a more even keel.

I also take 2000 mg of metformin. I take 500 right after breakfast, 500 after lunch, and 1000 after dinner. The drug is long acting, so it does not really matter from that point of view when you take it, as long as you take it in the day. However it can cause stomach upset, so it makes sense to spread it out and take it on a full stomach to minimize the chance of GI upset.

Ron

Not a doctor, only another T2 diabetic with, unfortunately 11 year experience. Be cautious about accepting advice, including mine, on medical conditions from the internet. It can be a good place to get ideas, but validate them with your doctor and other medical professionals first.
alan_s
Total Posts: 14,504
Topics: 203
High Fives: 1,410
Solutions: 158
Registered on: ‎10-30-2009

rikalintz wrote:

I take 1000mg on waking and 1000mg at bedtime. Some find that taking it with meals leads to less gastric upset, but I never had that problem so that did not matter to me.

I found, after much experimentation, that taking my second dose at bedtime marginally improved my FBG. I can't say whether that works for others.

Cheers, Alan, Type 2, d&e metformin 2000mg, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
There is nothing I could eat I like more than my eyes.
Type 2 Diabetes - A Personal Journey (latest: It Must Be OK - It's Sugar-Free! Wrong!)
Born Under a Wandering Star (Latest: Budapest, Hungary)
Super Advisor
ikitty
Total Posts: 843
Registered on: ‎10-01-2010

[ Edited ]

I always split mine up and take it with breakfast and then again with dinner which pretty much splits it 12 hours between the first and second dose. :smileyhappy:

dx'd 8/10 - 9.1 at the age of 32
1/25/13 - 5.6 FINALLY hit the 5% club this time!!!!
Current - 5.8 2/19/14
Metformin
Diet
Gluten Free
Exercise
Responder
troyryans
Total Posts: 33
Registered on: ‎02-13-2012

I used to take Metformin, but because of the rapid-release aspect of it and subsequent intestinal upset regardless of what I ate, I switched over to Glumetza (extended-release version of Metformin). I still occasionally get a bit sick, but now it is within 3.5 hours instead of 60-90 minutes...so much easier to plan if I have business travel and meetings!

Regarding dosage, I take 2000mg....1000mg with breakfast and 1000mg with dinner.  It seems to give me a better balance if I split the dosage up into two times.

Kathy Ryan
2012 Event Chair, Step Out: Walk to Stop Diabetes-Michigan
2009-11 Family/Friends Team Captain, Jack's Jaywalkers
2012 Corporate Team Captain, GHSP
Super Advisor
jpg391
Total Posts: 5,415
Registered on: ‎05-22-2011

rikalintz wrote:

I am also on 2000mg Metformin a day. I take 1000mg at breakfast and the other 1000mg at dinner, per my doctors instructions.

James G

I'm just a guy who has had type 2 diabetes for 30+ years.

"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." – Franklin D. Roosevelt

"I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody." – Lily Tomlin

"Happiness is a state of mind." - Walt Disney

Latest A1C 5.6 on 6/23/14

Lipids test on 8/22/13
Total Cholesterol 132
HDL Cholesterol 45
LDL Cholesterol 68
Triglycerides 94

Medications
2,000mgs X2 a day (2 weeks taking then 1 week not taking, then start over again) Capecirabine for Recital Cancer after surgery.
10mg Simvastain for Cholesterol
500mg Metformin twice a day
10 units Levemir, a long lasting insulin
81mg Asprin once a day
40mg of Quinapril (also known as Accupril) twice a day for HBP
20mg of Lexapro once a day for depression
1mg of Doxazosin once a day at bed time for a Prostate problem
30mg of Buspirone twice a day for Anxiety
Super Advisor
blueribbonmom12
Total Posts: 711
Registered on: ‎01-01-2012

I take 1000 with breakfast and 1000 with supper.  I actually swallow the pills with a bite of food rather than taking it with water.  I like that better, for no apparent reason...just do.  I take the extended release formula and do not get any g.i. upset of any kind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------